Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood tests waiting times

Options
  • 27-10-2009 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello, I was just wondering how long people were waiting to get a blood test done these days... I was at the Dr's 4 weeks ago who told me to book an appointment to get blood samples drawn, which is in 3 weeks, then i have to wait another 1-2 weeks for the results to be delivered to my doc. thats 8-9 weeks, Is this the norm?

I've been hearing stories of other GP's (haven't rang them yet) drawing blood at their practice and getting the results in a week. Has any one experienced this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I work in a hospital so can get them in a few days if needs be. But generally for GP stuff, appointment in a day or two then maybe a week or two for results. Quicker if I ring up and ask for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 theluckyduck

I have to get my bloods done every 6 months or so. I just book in for a morning appointment with the nurse in my GPs and then I get the results in less than a week.

Dunno why it should take so long??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 15cent

Thanks for replying

So my suspicions are confirmed... It shouldn't take so long. I'll be on to another GP first thing in the morning.

I'll keep the Thread updated on my findings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

15cent wrote: »

I've been hearing stories of other GP's (haven't rang them yet) drawing blood at their practice and getting the results in a week. Has any one experienced this?

My doctor draws blood 2 days a week, takes 1-2 weeks to get the results. You normally have to go in seperate to your main appointment to get them done (unless you know before hand that you need them). One thing to note is that some of them requiring you to be fasting so if you are getting them done in a hospital an early appointment is better.

It may be better to change doctors in the long term but another option would be to phone other hospitals in your locality and see if they can see you quicker...just tell them the other is inconvenient or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Only time I've heard of any kind of testing taking that long is for tests which have been sent oversea's for analysis (if Mary Harney has her way all bloods will go this way as a cost saving measure).

Otherwise I'm like some of the guys in the thread whereby I've annual bloods done and have less than a week to wait for results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

15cent wrote: »

My GP takes them (or the nurse can too) and results usually come in less than a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 15cent

Hello again

Well I've gone off and found that i can have my bloods done in another practice just down the road from my house, they take the blood, send it off and the results are back in less than two weeks. There is an extra charge, its not much though, your health is more important. I think I'll be changing my GP. 9 weeks of worry gone in 2 for €25!!! Brilliant...

I wouldn't mind the bloods are all done through the Matter Hospital... All GP's should be able to draw blood in this day and age. But thats their choice and their patients choice to wait 9 weeks for results.

Thanks to everyone who posted... Hope this thread will help others

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Just to chime in on this, my bloodwork took 4 days to get back to me

just a lil bonus info:

My cholestorel was absou-frekin-loutly perfect! everyone in my family thought it would be massive from my egg intake!

only thing that was low was iron, so ive started taking some tabs! other than that, perfect!

Advertisement