Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In final reckoning, the Beast is Slain

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Don't, its €17.99 on steam, click here and buy through Futuremark for €14.71, they will then send You the product key and tell You download through Steam

Done! Thanks for that sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah but from my read of that it only applies to non-dx10 cards that need the older cat drivers. Wouldnt a newer card (Eg. 4870) still be able to run dx9 games under 7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah but from my read of that it only applies to non-dx10 cards that need the older cat drivers. Wouldnt a newer card (Eg. 4870) still be able to run dx9 games under 7?

Yes, they'll play fine, its just them dropping support for older cards not directX9. Nvidia do the same, they dropped support for 5 series cards in Vista, I know this as a friend I know upgraded tio Vista 2 years ago and had serious graphics problems with a Geforce 5300.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

click here and buy through Futuremark

Ah sweet, I bought 3Dmark Vantage before so I get 25% off :D result! Gonna buy it now.

click in for full hd

im kinda disappointed at the inclusion of sound :/

All the same, <40 hours until launch. Preloads began some time ago. get yours in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bought it this morning. Looking forward to trying it, especially since i got my new upgrade parts this morning and anything shiny needs to be tried asap :)

i used there homebrewed canyourunit app (and theyd do a good one!) and apparently I can very much not play this game on my current lappy. Tis a shame. Still, wont stop me from trying! mwhahahaha

im kinda disappointed at the inclusion of sound :/

Awww.... crap :( I really hope there is an option in game to disable that "audio simulation". I'd prefer to just hear my own breath in the suit, and maybe his grunts when he's getting hit. The HUD could just display which direction the fire is coming from, or have it very muted like in the dogfights in BSG

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, I hope that's how it works, I really like the idea of not hearing anything except from inside the suit. I'm looking forward to giving this a go now I must confess :)

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Awww.... crap :( I really hope there is an option in game to disable that "audio simulation". I'd prefer to just hear my own breath in the suit, and maybe his grunts when he's getting hit. The HUD could just display which direction the fire is coming from, or have it very muted like in the dogfights in BSG
    Im sure thats the case. It definitely suggests its optional (and even forced, when hit by EMPs and things)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Dead Space had masterful vacuum audio, I'd love to see that in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Finished the pre-load on steam ! anyone know what time it will be available here?

Burgo wrote: »
    Finished the pre-load on steam ! anyone know what time it will be available here?

Right click the preloaded game in Steam and click view store page, see :D
    Available: 4 November 2009
    This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 1 hour

Right click the preloaded game in Steam and click view store page, see :D

cheers ;p the beta is showing up in my steam games now but when you double click it just brings you back to the steam store, damn.

Burgo wrote: »
    cheers ;p the beta is showing up in my steam games now but when you double click it just brings you back to the steam store, damn.

Same, was excited thinking i could try it

Had a quick game when I got home from work and its v good, zero gravity takes alot of getting used to, need to read up on the controls. First thing I noticed was there's no single player, multi only on dedicated servers.

Graphics are great and not as hard to run as I expected. I can completely max the settings at 1920x1200, except for post processing which is one level below ultra and antialiasing is off. I've had to turn v-sync from triple buffered to double and I now always have a constant 30fps, was slightly dipping into the 20's the very odd time, usually through smoke, with triple buffering. You can instantly tell its directX 10 by the ambient occlusion lighting and smoke effects which are very well done and they've not wasted graphical resources by overdoing the textures on rock faces and meteorites. Here's some screenies while I game some more

shattered_horizon2009-11-0417-48-24.jpg
    shattered_horizon2009-11-0417-48-39.jpg
    shattered_horizon2009-11-0417-49-20.jpg
    shattered_horizon2009-11-0417-52-16.jpg
    shattered_horizon2009-11-0417-53-41.jpg
    shattered_horizon2009-11-0417-54-27.jpg
    shattered_horizon2009-11-0417-54-49.jpg
    shattered_horizon2009-11-0418-01-37.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Is there a demo?

5uspect wrote: »
    Is there a demo?
    its $20/20 Euro. Honestly :rolleyes:

€16.35 if You buy from Futuremark

The game is the same as any other first persons shooter, except the zero gravity makes it quite interesting. You can swoop to surface by pressing "F", this lands You on a surface, You have to be stationary mounted on a surface to snipe as the recoil sends You backwards when airborne. You never have any idea which way is up and You really need to scan everywhere as someone will creep up behind You. Every player has the same gun, a multi-function assault-rifle and its fully automatic. Zoom in with the scope and it becomes a sniper rifle. Yopu have a blade for melee. Theres some sort of EMP/magnetism grenade or weapon which disables your suit power momentarily, but I've not figured that yet, its happened twice.

I've only seen 3 maps and two gametypes, skirmish (Team Deathmatch) and battle (Hold the control point). I've not played long enough to give it a final verdict, but its enjoyable so far, well worth the €14 odd i paid for it (i've been ripped off 2 many times for games I didn't enjoy). The graphics are spectacular as the rays of light from the sun reflect off all surfaces. I've even been able to enable 2x antialiasing without any hit in fps with the settings in my last post.

shattered_horizon2009-11-0418-45-46.jpg
    shattered_horizon2009-11-0418-49-56.jpg
    shattered_horizon2009-11-0418-50-01.jpg
    shattered_horizon2009-11-0418-53-22.jpg
    shattered_horizon2009-11-0418-53-32.jpg
    shattered_horizon2009-11-0418-58-07.jpg
    shattered_horizon2009-11-0419-07-53.jpg

Looking forward to trying this over the next few days. Love the idea of the zero-g combat.

• Advertisement

I wont have access to the 4850 till the weekend. But ill crash my laptop with it all the same

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That's 20 yoyos I could spend on something else. This is a new game from an unproven developer. I at least want to read a few reviews or get a brief demo.

5uspect wrote: »
    That's 20 yoyos I could spend on something else. This is a new game from an unproven developer. I at least want to read a few reviews or get a brief demo.

And proven developers always produce great games :D

played a bit of it there... a real shocker for me was that, coming from a company that has made it's name from graphical benchmarks, has no graphical benchmarks in game to test the graphical settings.

Also, you still got your 4870x2 Pog? Do you have AI disabled or something. I'm able to run this max everything no problem on my 4870x2.

Zero G does take some getting used to. Thankfully it seems this game has leveled the playing field as a lot of people I was playing against didn't seem to have the hang of it either. It's just odd moving up to see someone then aiming to shoot and realizing inertia is still taking you off in the wrong direct. Also using your sniper scope is pointless if you aren't grounded on something.

First main gripe is not being able to look down the iron sight of the gun. It's really a staple feature that all new FPS's should have.

Another oddity is the lack of any intro video. From the trailers it looked like it would have one.

Yeah i played it for about an hour earlier was quite fun ! My pc just about meets the min specs but the only time it lagged noticeably was when i got hit by an emp and an ice nade at the same time.

The scope is pretty useless though as the recoil is so high. Not really to bothered about the lack of iron sights, you get used to not having them.

They've actually made a great game here and being who they are they have made it run amazingly with max detail. It uses all 4 cores of my quad, spreading the load. I'm seeing 60% cpu usage, slightly higher on one core as I'd expect, but threads being given to the other 3 cores. It also uses both cores of my gpu to maximum efffect, best I could hope for as I'll have to wait till later in the month for a driver that includes specific optimisations for this game. I'll try it on the Young fella's lesser spec pc tomorrow and report.

I'm having great fun with the game, once You get used to the controls and the completely confusing 3d map You do get better and get know Your way around. Its very hard, zero gravity adds serious confusion, but thats the fun of it, attacks come form absolutely everywhere. You gotta watch Your back as the fuel tank on Your back is easily shot. There are 3 types of grenade; EMP (disables suit), Ice (blinds momentarily) and MPR (explosion pushes them away). The only letdown that I can see is that there is only 4 maps and 3 the gametypes, but they've promised free DLC and a dediacted server client, they seem to be hosting all the games on 20 Futuremark dedi servers at the moment, some Europe ones must be in the UK, I'm getting pings of 70ms. For the €14 I paid I'm very happy with it, deffo worth the buy and I don't buy many.

Yeah played a bit more there and just to confirm. There is a "silent mode" option, that you can enable and disable in game. When enabled it gives you that authentic space suit feel, all the bullet sounds are muted and you mostly hear the noises of yourself breathing inside the spacesuit. So glad they included that option, really adds to the feel of the game with it enabled.

Tried launched in windows 7 64-bit there and got some system error messages saying 64-bit was not supported ?

Probably just the preload-decrypter program though by the looks of it, that failed to run. Gonna refetch the files now and try again *checks* oh, 20 minutes :)

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Yeah played a bit more there and just to confirm. There is a "silent mode" option, that you can enable and disable in game. When enabled it gives you that authentic space suit feel, all the bullet sounds are muted and you mostly hear the noises of yourself breathing inside the spacesuit. So glad they included that option, really adds to the feel of the game with it enabled.
    Does it not get a bit quiet? I know thats the point and all, but after a while of hearing nothing, it might get a bit boring. Saying that i'll probably go for that mode as well.

We should get some team deathmatch going at the weekend.
    Tried launched in windows 7 64-bit there and got some system error messages saying 64-bit was not supported ?

Probably just the preload-decrypter program though by the looks of it, that failed to run. Gonna refetch the files now and try again *checks* oh, 20 minutes :)
    Let us know how that goes, as i'm on 64-bit Windows 7 as well.

• Advertisement

Windows 7 64bit here no probs

Advertisement