Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In final reckoning, the Beast is Slain

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Windows 7 64bit here no probs

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Installed good after re-download.

Runs like a slideshow on this thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

whats with the different names under the barral of the gun? Is that just for grenades or do you really shoot ice rounds? :D

Does it play a bit like descent in the end?

Might pick this up with l4d2 if people are giving it thumbs up.

Though I am min specs...

cant believe my machine is already at the min spec stage already...but I guess it has been 2 years.

take your spec over to building and upgrading. theyll help you out.

go here and run the requirements test. if you pass, you can play it begrudgingly, but comfortably. Or if youre like me, and have 2.0 of a 2.4ghz and a 128 of a 256MB requirement, you're pretty much fecked.

Being a benchmarking company, im sure if it says you cant run it, you cant ****ing run it. (well you can run it, but playing it is definitely another matter)

http://www.yougamers.com/gameometer/10360/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Also, you still got your 4870x2 Pog? Do you have AI disabled or something. I'm able to run this max everything no problem on my 4870x2.

Yeah, cheers for that, I forgot I had Catalyst AI set to standard for Arma II, I'll test it later to see if there are any improvements. You gotta remember though, that I'm running Windows 7, it still doesn't perform as well as Vista in games, its nearly there, but it will be better with a few more graphics driver optimisations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Kiith wrote: »
    Does it not get a bit quiet? I know thats the point and all, but after a while of hearing nothing, it might get a bit boring. Saying that i'll probably go for that mode as well.

The silent running mode is mostly useless. I've yet to find a point when it is actually needed or beneficial. Also, when you die, the sound simulation automatically re-enables

When you enable it it basically turns off the "Sound Simulation" which lets you hear shots fired like you are on earth. It also disables the booster on your backpack, which is pretty much essential to quickly get out of dodge if you are being shot at, as the normal thrusters have a hard time fighting inertia. It also turns off the lights on your gun and disables your HUD... so yeah, I really can't see when you'd turn off the sound simulation.

It's nice for just floating around in a 1v1 or 2v2 game, or if you are trying to flank behind the enemy, as I think you don't show up on the other teams HUD (when the enemy fires shots or uses their boosters you see them show up on your HUD as a red box)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Wow, what a rubbish game this is.
    Yeah it looks kinda nice (but nothing spectacular either) and all but the gameplay absolutely blows. I'd be pissed off if I paid any more than the 12 euro or whatever it cost me for this.
    Trying to use the sniper like function for a head shot is rediculously frustrating.

I can see nothing new in this game at all, neither with graphics and especially not with gameplay.

If you can get it for cheap on an upgrade direct from FutureMark then by all means it's ok for the money but it's not even worth the full 20 euro price being charged on Steam at all.

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Wow, what a rubbish game this is.
    Yeah it looks kinda nice (but nothing spectacular either) and all but the gameplay absolutely blows. I'd be pissed off if I paid any more than the 12 euro or whatever it cost me for this.
    Trying to use the sniper like function for a head shot is rediculously frustrating.

I can see nothing new in this game at all, neither with graphics and especially not with gameplay.

If you can get it for cheap on an upgrade direct from FutureMark then by all means it's ok for the money but it's not even worth the full 20 euro price being charged on Steam at all.

Thats the thing, they marketed this game as having something new, as in zero gravity, hence firing a shot sends You backwards. You need to be stationary on a surface to snipe. I don't find this frustrating, its how it should be.
    Graphics are great, but they've not wasted gpu resources on drawing textures on rock surfaces and meteorites, just look at the light rays and reflections and the ice and smoke. WTF did You expect?
    Futuremark Games Studio has released their first ever title on Steam: Shattered Horizon! This multiplayer first-person shooter is played entirely in zero gravity. A catastrophic explosion on the Moon has filled near-Earth space with billions of tons of rocky debris. You and your friends will join intense 32 player battles to control hollowed-out asteroids, huge fragments of Moon rock and the ruined remains of the International Space Station.
    I honestly think they've done a great job here, does exactly what it says on the tin IMO

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Only got to play it for a few minutes there today, but i really enjoyed it. Looking forward to getting a good go of it over the weekend. Looks pretty damn good too, and runs well with everything on full.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

might get this later how big is download?

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    might get this later how big is download?

Its only 1262MB

I turned Catalyst AI back to advanced and now I can whack post processing back up to ultra :D

Anyone any codes i can redeem :D

buying 2 copies and poor

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Anyone any codes i can redeem :D

buying 2 copies and poor

Buy it from Futuremark, not Steam, they'll send You the serial by email and tell you download through Steam
    http://www.shatteredhorizon.com/buynow/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

just bought it. downloading now. will give it a go later :)

I knows it obvious i dearly do love steam, really i do.

But i bought the gwme about 20 minutes ago and the download started...grand check it out in a while.

maybe not.....why in the name of jaysis did it download the beta and THEN the game ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I just had a very quick couple of games there - protip: look for the "learn to fly" games that have damage disabled just so you're not spending 10 minutes familiarising yourself with all that you'll need to in a real game.

I realy like the game, looking forward to getting properly stuck into it. Windows (7 64bit) reported that it was having difficulty with video resources when I put it into full-screen (1680X1050), but I'm just about in on the DX10 cards there with an 8800GTX. That video card upgrade I'd been thinking about might be happening sooner than later :D

It takes some getting used to, but like I said, I really liked it and I think there's plenty of game time in it for me. And for €16 - you can't really go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Well, that was a waste of €16. I can't maintain a connection to a single server, yet there's absolutely nothing wrong from my end when I run a speed or ping test.

edit: Futuremark blaming this and problems like it on a 'buggy' NIC. How is it that the NIC was never buggy before i installed your damn game? Seems to have nuked my NIC drivers completely, i can't upload a constant stream of data know without my connection going bat****.

my pc melted :(

finally managed to have a wee run at it there without my wifi being killed. Have to say it feels very very like a source mod called Eternal Silence.

Have to say, even just as a space simulation it's pretty damn good. The international space station map particularly. Spent 15 minutes in it alone, sound simulation off, just floating around the level to get familiar with it. They've really done a great job of creating the feel of what you'd imagine floating in space is. That image of earth is also stunning, super high def and they've managed to not make it look like just a texture painted onto the background.

• Advertisement

:p so as a game it could do better, but as a space simulation its the bees knees :pac:

Overheal wrote: »
    :p so as a game it could do better, but as a space simulation its the bees knees :pac:

Yeah, needs more cowbell... by cowbell I mean weapons and gameplay modes :pac:

There's only really 3 game modes, and no capture the flag either (my favourite one) there's Skirmish (death match), Battle (capture points) and Assault (defend/attack points)

Also, does anyone know how to set up a LAN game or a friends only game? Is it possible.

I recorded this in game footage last night to showcase the levels, the ISS (second one) and moondust (third) are definitely my favourite. (watch it at youtube for HD)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

finally managed to have a wee run at it there without my wifi being killed. Have to say it feels very very like a source mod called Eternal Silence.

You play games over Wi-Fi? :confused::eek::confused:

nachos.png

Kharn wrote: »
    You play games over Wi-Fi? :confused::eek::confused:

lol, knew someone would say that. For the record, playing over the wifi adds an additional ping of exactly 2ms with my set up. :p

Linksys WRT54G. Probably the best router in the world.

lol, knew someone would say that. For the record, playing over the wifi adds an additional ping of exactly 2ms with my set up. :p

Linksys WRT54G. Probably the best router in the world.
    Same setup.

Cant say there is all that much difference. Though webcam-skype really isnt a fan of G-band. Other than that though you're still zippy as far as gaming and streaming HD Hulu are concerned.

Overheal wrote: »
    Cant say there is all that much difference. Though webcam-skype really isnt a fan of G-band. Other than that though you're still zippy as far as gaming and streaming HD Hulu are concerned.

Weird. Webcam-skype shouldn't make much of a difference. VOIP skype is great over it, use it a hell of a lot here. Sure it's not a bandwidth issue with the ISP?

Btw, i should explain that I believe my problems with Shattered Horizon were to do with Nvidia Forceware version 191.07 (the one that caused so much problems). I reverted to 190.62 and all runs beautifully. So apologies to Futuremark for potentially discrediting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Btw, i should explain that I believe my problems with Shattered Horizon were to do with Nvidia Forceware version 191.07 (the one that caused so much problems). I reverted to 190.62 and all runs beautifully. So apologies to Futuremark for potentially discrediting them.

what card/OS you using? I can play fine using the 191.07 drivers for an 8800gt in win7 64.

Burgo wrote: »
    what card/OS you using? I can play fine using the 191.07 drivers for an 8800gt in win7 64.

Vista 64 and a GTX 285.

191.07 has been causing serious problems though. It ranges from them not being able to detect the GPU or OS, to random BSODs on boot (which I also had) to in a few very rare cases, entire mobos or GPUs failing.

bEAUTIFUL!

caps.

Just gave it a little spin. Runs great on the 4850 though I havent pushed many of the settings yet. AA is overrated but I put 2x on :p PP was ultra. My god the glow off some of these surfaces. I musta sat at the menu for 2 minutes just gawking at rock chunks.

Have to see yet how it pans out as a multiplayer game but jaysus flying around is kinda neat. Silent Running will be the territory of 1337 players who learn to either hack or counterbalance the steadiness issues: theyll just drift along unnoticed and snipe the hell out of you. As a Deathmatch game I could see it getting a bit tiresome but when you think about other gameplay modes like Boarding actions etc. you'd get a real kick out of drifting along corridors and such while you take control of shuttles and things

But i dont care. Its a nice piece of work. I could see Futuremark supporting a fine Modding community from this.

• Advertisement

Played some 2v2 earlier in the day when the servers were empty and it was great fun. 16v16 is just a little too many IMO. They badly need to release a lan and online hosting option

Advertisement