Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The high cross between Ballough and the 5 roads

Options
  • 27-10-2009 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭

Saw this a few years ago, never figured out what it is for. it's not on the 1:50000 OS map.
    Anyone know? You can see it in the gateway of one of the fields along the R132

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Its a graveyard, graves from the famine and also from the workhouse that used be across the road. The cross and graveyard were restored recently by some Luskers. The workhouse was demolished in the late 70's iirc, though the gatehouse and half the chapel are still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

was wondering about this as I saw it for the first time on the bus on Mon morn. Never thought to make the connection between it and the workhouse across the road

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There was a special mass at the cross a few years ago. It was covered by the Fingal Indo IIRC with a good piece about the workhouse including old pics.

I've noticed that the OSI have made these maps free to browse. Interesting stuff if you have an interest in local history.

http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,719411,755879,6

That link will open with an aerial photograph , switch to Historic B&W to see the area in the 1840's or Historic 25i for some really detailed views.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

thats brilliant Fingallian.thanks. Could spend hours looking at those maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

There was a special mass at the cross a few years ago. It was covered by the Fingal Indo IIRC with a good piece about the workhouse including old pics.

Early 2008 or maybe late 2007 they done an excellent article on it. I imagine some of the local historical groups would have some info on it. Maybe if you contact editorial@fingal-independent.ie they could give you the article.

Advertisement