Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for regular Dublin live cash players?

Options
  • 27-10-2009 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭

just wondering what would be a reasonable amount i could make in live cash games in dublin ,if i were to play 4,5 days a week for 3 months.

starting out with lets say 1K.
    in terms of my skill level,i dont think im gonna be the best player but i think i can still be a winning palyer if i just play solid TAG poker.
    i know alot of the basics and i think to be winning player live you dont really need much more than that.

realisticly how much could i get if i stick to my plan and have good game selection etc playing PLH or NL ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭hatedajacks

I would never have put you and the word TAG together in the same sentence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

I think it was phantomlord who posted a link to a twoplustwo thread where a guy was doing this, check out the bbv Im too lazy to look. Should be right up ur alley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

I think it was phantomlord who posted a link to a twoplustwo thread where a guy was doing this, check out the bbv Im too lazy to look. Should be right up ur alley

well this is not really any help Richie is it with with nearly 100K posts in that thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I think noel was tryin to make 10K in the fitz by christmas.

Its not as easy to make money as it once was but if you get off to a good start then 10-15k in 3 months wuld be doable imo where the 4/5 days include friday/saturday. I know that i don't play live as often as i once did, but i've seen some unbelievable things the last few times i've been there, including one guy who called off 1k plus on the turn with oesd on a paird board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Gholimoli wrote: »
    well this is not really any help Richie is it with with nearly 100K posts in that thread?

He posted it yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Yeah I believe BCB is trying to turn 300 into 10k by Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭robinblinds

fatguy wrote: »
    Yeah I believe BCB is trying to turn 300 into 10k by Christmas.

he'll have to be disguised as Derron Brown to do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

I think here your biggest question is game selection Vs bankroll! i mean the Jackpot you could do very well in, but given the game the swings could be too big for a 1k roll, where as the fitz tryin to grind it out with only 5 buy in's would be tricky if u got of to a bad start. Some soft tourny's could build your roll nicely.... fitz tue night game (€50 dc) always have a 1k first place prize... i think u might do better with that... just my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

5k - 10k I think is doable if you're genuinely a winning player.

But with 1k, your really gonna have to pray very hard for a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

If your doing it purely to make money, grind online imo although i think by a recent post of yours you sound like you really dont want to grind online. Playing live especially for you theres too many distractions and overheads. After rake things like food/drink petrol and general messing with friends that will drag you away on certain nights will eat into your expected profit margin. Not to mention wasting money on tournaments justifying playing them because your waiting on cash tables to fill up. And obv not to mention you could play pretty good over 3 months and just break even like the golfer who said he played great and only shot 71!. But your good enough to make a profit over this time no doubt its only a matter of how much the variance gods will allow.
    (Whoops only noticed this was meant for Dublin live cash players, disregard obv)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

to pluck a figure from the air, i'd say, 5k would be going well.

Mellor wrote: »
    to pluck a figure from the air, i'd say, 5k would be going well.

really ,that sounds a bit low to me,im not saying your wrong ,just that i was thinking that in 3months playing 5 nites ,it would be more than 5k?

why do u say 5K would be doing well?
    is that just for me or any one?
    reason why im asking is that i think i can adopt to what ever style needed to make the most profit as i dont think it's gonna be that complicated to beat live cash in dublin.i could be wrong though and that's what im really trying to figure out.

i have no illutions of making money from poker long term at all really.the mental pressure i really can not handle but im thiking 3 months i may be able to do.

also i cant do it online cuz im a tilt monster online and live while i get tierd sometimes,i dont often tilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

Its going to be pretty tough starting from €1k, and I would certainly hope you don't mind losing it, cos a 5 buy in downswing is nothing. You will bust the k a good % of the time.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I thought you were fecking off to Iran?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

starting out with lets say 1K.
    If €1k is the case money you really shouldn't be playing live at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

I tried this a while back and for a while it worked out, but i started to play too loose and sure you know yourself! 1K is fine in my opinion...you really have to be disciplined though...you're gona need a good start..you should really have a game plan and stick to it..its easy enough to be a profit player,i find the hardest thing when playing is to get up and leave the table..decide how much you're gona buy in for each session and dont deviate from the plan..more importantly how much profit will suffice..you should be happy to leave the poker room(whichever one) with minimum profit..i had a big problem here...i'd often buy in for 200 in the fitz play for 2/3 hours eventually find myself sitting at the main table with 500/600 and a bunch of o'l timers who cant fold...

i definately think you should give it a shot..Discipline is the key!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

5starpool wrote: »
    I thought you were fecking off to Iran?
    BBV curse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

rather than just plucking figures out of the air, do some calculations. (then halve whatever you come up with)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

really ,that sounds a bit low to me,im not saying your wrong ,just that i was thinking that in 3months playing 5 nites ,it would be more than 5k?

why do u say 5K would be doing well?
    is that just for me or any one?
    I'm not basing it on you, or anyone in particular. Nor is 5k the max;
    As mentioned above, you only have 5 buy-ins, which is very low. If you start with a bad session you are playing with the case money on the second session. Busto is not impossible. 5k

In the OP you said 4 or 5 nights a week, I went with 4 nights (as some weeks you will only make 3 etc) over 12 weeks. 48 sessions. Even round to to 50.

4 or 5 hours a session. Obviously the 8 hour sessions are common, but the game isn't profitable consistantly at the early hours. Nor is 8 hours 4 or 5 nights a week going t ose you playing your best.

A e20-25 hourly rate is e100 average profit a session. Maybe 20-25 is too low, but last time I was in dublin things were a little dry and I think that few regulars are making much more that e25 an hour.
    This would be 5k. If you plan on playing 5 8 hour sessions consistently then you can increase expect profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

You can make money alright but you'll still only have a k in your ac after 3 months. This is of course if your roll is also your life roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

rather than just plucking figures out of the air, do some calculations. (then halve whatever you come up with)

It's Gholi here. Quarter it.

In all seriousness though, move to Australia or Vegas or even London. The idea of playing 1/2 at night for 4/5 days a week as my sole income makes me depressed even thinking about it. Go somewhere with better games that play during the day here you can get a bigger game anytime you feel like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

1k is not enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

set up a thread here to advise us of your progress

no playing hands blind against other tilt monkeys though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Do it!

thanks alot folks for the comments.

im still going to Iran for sure,it just may be a little later than i thought now ,if i decide to do this.

i need to put a bit of money together and seen as i dont have time to wait and get an IT contract ,i was thinkin of doing this.
    obviously im well aware of the fact that i could go busto with 1K.if i decide to do this and i do go busto ,**** it .1K is the max i can afford to lose really.

i have my tickets booked and everything but i may just have to delay things a little.
    i suppose if any one sees me in dublin playing cash then i have decided to go with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭jack90210

When is the most profitable time to play live cash in Dublin?

Are all cash games on at crazy times? Any day/late afternoon games during the week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

ianmc38 wrote: »
    It's Gholi here. Quarter it.

In all seriousness though, move to Australia or Vegas or even London. The idea of playing 1/2 at night for 4/5 days a week as my sole income makes me depressed even thinking about it. Go somewhere with better games that play during the day here you can get a bigger game anytime you feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

Committing yourself to 3 months on the Dublin live scene with the hopes of making 10k.

Plans to move to Iran.

You are obviously a nutter! :p:p
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

jack90210 wrote: »
    When is the most profitable time to play live cash in Dublin?

Are all cash games on at crazy times? Any day/late afternoon games during the week?

Weekends and thursday nights are by far the best. There are games every evening from about 7 in the Fitz.

Advertisement