Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARRGH - Java and command prompt commands

Options
  • 27-10-2009 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭

Ok,
    Im writing a piece of software that uses GEVA and, while running, needs to repeatedly start Robocode. Run a battle,(with a commandPrompt command) and get the results from that battle.
    Ive got the results bit sorted out. and Im fairly sure i can get java to call the command. The ony problem is that i cant figure out the commad i need.

robocode is located here: C:\Users\Korvanica\Desktop\4th Year\Semester One\Project\GEVA\GEVA-v1.1\robocode

so the command to run robocode should be:
    java -Xmx512M -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -cp C:\\Users\\Derek\\Desktop\\"4th Year"\\"Semester One"\\Project\\GEVA\\GEVA-v1.1\\robocode\\libs\\robocode.jar robocode.Robocode -battle C:\\Users\\Derek\\Desktop\\"4th Year"\\"Semester One"\\Project\\GEVA\\GEVA-v1.1\\robocode\\battles\\grammatical.battle -nodisplay -results C:\\Users\\Derek\\Desktop\\"4th Year"\\"Semester One"\\"COMP30290 Natural Computing"\\Project\\GEVA\\GEVA-v1.1\\robocode\\results.txt

but this keeps spittin out errors saying:

Can't find robocode.core-1.x.jar module near to robocode.jar
    ClassPath: C:\\Users\\Derek\\Desktop\4th Year\Semester One\Project\\GEVA\\GEVA-v1.1\\robocode\\libs\\robocode.jar

Its strange that in the error, it shows single slashes in half the classpath, but its right in the actual command that was fed in.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

I think ur quotes are wrong but I'm not near a computer to test it. I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm or shoot me down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

MacGyver wrote: »
    I think ur quotes are wrong but I'm not near a computer to test it. I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm or shoot me down

Without the Quotes i get:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Year\\Semester
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Year\\Semester
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
    Could not find the main class: Year\\Semester. Program will exit.

So it doesnt seem to get as far as my origional one. Madness

Basically if anyone could just fire me a command that can run from anywhere in the filesystem (ie: one with a path in the command).
    Example: "notepad C:\\Users\\Derek\\Desktop\\4th Year\\test.txt" or something to make sure im doin it right. - just tested that, ran grand. Without quotes and all.

I believe the problem may lie with "robocode.Robocode" in the origional command.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

Should be

java -Xmx512M -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -cp "C:\Users\Derek\Desktop\4th Year\Semester One\Project\GEVA\GEVA-v1.1\robocode\libs\robocode.jar" robocode.Robocode -battle "C:\Users\Derek\Desktop\4th Year\Semester One\Project\GEVA\GEVA-v1.1\robocode\battles\grammatical.battle -nodisplay -results "C:\Users\Derek\Desktop\4th Year\Semester One\COMP30290 Natural Computing\Project\GEVA\GEVA-v1.1\robocode\results.txt"

Obv if your calling this from within java then both the \ and " need to be escaped to \\ and \"

lynchie wrote: »
    Should be

java -Xmx512M -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -cp "C:\Users\Derek\Desktop\4th Year\Semester One\Project\GEVA\GEVA-v1.1\robocode\libs\robocode.jar" robocode.Robocode -battle "C:\Users\Derek\Desktop\4th Year\Semester One\Project\GEVA\GEVA-v1.1\robocode\battles\grammatical.battle -nodisplay -results "C:\Users\Derek\Desktop\4th Year\Semester One\COMP30290 Natural Computing\Project\GEVA\GEVA-v1.1\robocode\results.txt"

Obv if your calling this from within java then both the \ and " need to be escaped to \\ and \"

Tried running from just the cmd, no joy.
    Could not find the main class: robocode.Robocode. Program will exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Firstly I'd double check that the robocode.jar file contains the class Robocode.

Secondly I'd double check that the package structure within the jar file is correct; i.e. that robocode.Robocode is indeed the fully-qualified classname.

You're sure that's the correct path to that jar file also?

• Advertisement

As was stated above check your paths. They must be wrong. Confirm that the path C:\Users\Derek\Desktop\4th Year\Semester One\Project\GEVA\GEVA-v1.1\robocode\libs\ is correct by pasting it into the run command and see if it opens that folder. Then confirm that the robocode.jar is actually there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

lynchie wrote: »
    Should be

The above is missing a quote after grammatical.battle - should be
    java -Xmx512M -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -cp "C:\Users\Derek\Desktop\4th Year\Semester One\Project\GEVA\GEVA-v1.1\robocode\libs\robocode.jar" robocode.Robocode -battle "C:\Users\Derek\Desktop\4th Year\Semester One\Project\GEVA\GEVA-v1.1\robocode\battles\grammatical.battle" -nodisplay -results "C:\Users\Derek\Desktop\4th Year\Semester One\COMP30290 Natural Computing\Project\GEVA\GEVA-v1.1\robocode\results.txt"

you should really be using a batch file or something to setup you environment and classpaths - it would make the executing your project much clearer

Ok cool,
    so ive been messing around trying to get a batch file working for the job.
    @echo off
    echo Testing
    java -Xmx512M -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -cp libs/robocode.jar robocode.Robocode -battle battles\grammatical.battle -nodisplay -results results.txt
    echo GAME OVER
    echo on

This should start a robocode battle and run that battle in the command line.

its location is
    C:\Users\Derek\Desktop\4th Year\Semester One\COMP30290 Natural Computing\Project\GEVA\misc\src\misc

this works when i run it from its directory ( with terminal or just clicking on it) but if i want to call it from somewhere else in the file system how would i go about doing this? - Currently when i try this it gives me:
    Testing
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: robocode/Robocode
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: robocode.Robocode
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
    Could not find the main class: robocode.Robocode. Program will exit.
    GAME OVER

When i call it from the previous folder, (ie the SRC folder) using "misc\test.bat" it gives me the above error.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Set up your classpath in batch file using

set CLASSPATH=classpath1;classpath2...

When you execute the java command, it takes the current working directory (.) and runs everything from there

you are setting the classpath using a relative path libs/robocode.jar. This is relative to the current working directory.

So from your example libs/robocode.jar is in the misc folder - if you want to run you bat file from anywhere else you need the full classpath, not relative.

As I said before put quotes around the full path i.e.

-cp "C:\Users\Derek\Desktop\4th Year\Semester One\COMP30290 Natural Computing\Project\GEVA\misc\src\misc\libs\robocode.jar"

• Advertisement
Advertisement