Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trek 1000 - tube and tyre upgrade

• 27-10-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a TREK 1000 which I am now using in Dublin for my work commute. I am upgrading from the standard tube size of 700 x 18 so I don't feel every bump. I bought a pair of BONTRAGER tyres (700 x 32) but I'm unsure of the min/ max tube size for the tyre and frame. I put a 700 x 35 - 43c tube on the front wheel and it just about cleared the brake bracket and the top of the forks. I tried a 700 x 35 - 38c on the back and it the wheel would not do a full revolution without jamming on brake/ top of fork.

Two questions: 1. What does the 43c and 38c stand for? 2. What would you recommend in terms of tube size which would ensure the tyre will fit the back wheel and still rotate with clearance?

Sorry for the longwinded explanation.

Justo
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

35 - 43 is the range of tyre sizes that the tube fits. So obviously too large for a 32mm wide tyre.

As far as I know, the Trek should accept 28mm wide tyres without issue (I'm currently running 25mm).

My first bike was a trek 1000, great bike, sensible features included such as clearance and eyelets to fit bigger tyres, pannier rack and mudguards. The 2nd number in the 700 x XX tyre designation is the width of the tyre in mm. I'd say the biggest you'd fit on a trek 1000 would be 28, might be listed on the specs on trek's website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

It's not 38c, it's 700c x 38. The 38 in this case is the width of the tire measure in MM. I'm not familiar with the Trek 1000 other than it's road bike, so I would be surprised if anything more than a 28 would fit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

700 is the diameter of the wheel.

18, 35, 42, 23, 25, 28 all relate to the profile of the tyre, 18 being really low profile, therefore you feel every bump, the profile getting bigger with the number.

I ride 23's, and keep the tyres to the top end of the recommended pressure, usually about 100psi. This needs a floor pump to get that in easily, makes the bike handle well and means punctures are less of a problem.

For commuting, 25/28 will be as big as you would need, would give a smooth ride and would clear the frame tolerances.

Personally I would go 25 if I commuted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

would you have enough clearance for 32 tyres? I'd be interested. Let us how you get on. I am currently fixing my own Trek1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

Thanks all...

so if I understand correctly, I should get a tube size 700 x 32 to match the tyre and this should also have clearance on the frame, for the back wheel?

As mentioned I put the 700 x 32 tyre with a 700 x 35 - 43 c tube on the
    front and it has the smallest of clearance - but spins fine.

Justo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

You can buy tubes that will do tyres from 25 to 32, that will be fine.

cool. thanks. I'll go to the bike shop on Saturday and get tubed up. I'll let you know how I go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,993 ✭✭✭✭blorg

justo wrote: »
    Thanks all...

so if I understand correctly, I should get a tube size 700 x 32 to match the tyre and this should also have clearance on the frame, for the back wheel?

As mentioned I put the 700 x 32 tyre with a 700 x 35 - 43 c tube on the
    front and it has the smallest of clearance - but spins fine.

Justo.
    It's the tyre that will fit or not fit with relation to the frame, the tube makes no difference to this. If your 700x32 tyre fits or doesn't, changing the tube will make no difference.

Tubes are designed for a range of tyre sizes but in practice they are pretty flexible and I would imagine a 700x35-43 would fit in a 700x32 tyre fine. If buying new ones may as well get the right size though.

To be honest I would be surprised if 700x32 tyres fit front and back on that bike but stranger things have happened.

Have you tried the tyre on the back?

blorg wrote: »
    It's the tyre that will fit or not fit with relation to the frame, the tube makes no difference to this. If your 700x32 tyre fits or doesn't, changing the tube will make no difference.

Tubes are designed for a range of tyre sizes but in practice they are pretty flexible and I would imagine a 700x35-43 would fit in a 700x32 tyre fine. If buying new ones may as well get the right size though.

To be honest I would be surprised if 700x32 tyres fit front and back on that bike but stranger things have happened.

Have you tried the tyre on the back?

Thanks for that. I would have thought if the tyre fits the front it should fit the back also. I might try then for a smaller tube if the front wheel does not fit the back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement