Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with my cable modem

• 27-10-2009 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all,

lately I have been having this strange issue with my UPC cable modem, I have the 10 mbit plan and I have the Scientific Atlanta modem (EPC 2203)...

my problem is, when I start a download I will be getting my max speed around 1100 KB/s and then all of a sudden it will drop to 30-65 KB/s and my entire connection drags! I have to reboot my modem and then as soon as I do it everything picks back up to max download speed and everything works fine until it happens again (like maybe a day or so later when i download something else big).

things i've noticed: the speed is usually consistently 65 KB/s that it drops to. If i try pinging my modem it replies, but if i try to get into the web interface for the modem it times out (i can get in fine after i reboot the modem). I left something downloading overnight once and when I woke up I noticed my entire connection was completely dead for hours, so it looked like it happened again but eventually everything dropped and once i rebooted the modem it worked fine again.

all was working fine up til maybe a month ago... now it has happened about 5 times in the past 2 weeks, browsing internet is fine, it seems to be when i start a big download which maxes the line out is when it gets messed up.

anyone experience a similar issue or know what the cause might be? dreading calling UPC out to replace it, pain in the arse and they'll probably replace it with a ****ty modem with built in wireless :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

UPC are still issuing Scientific Atlanta modems as of two weeks ago when I connected.

You can even get the SA instead of the 'free' Cisco wireless router on the 10 and 20 Mbit plans if you ask nicely. I took it as I'd rather their modem be just a modem, and I can handle routing myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭_CyRuSS_

the_law wrote: »
    UPC are still issuing Scientific Atlanta modems as of two weeks ago when I connected.

You can even get the SA instead of the 'free' Cisco wireless router on the 10 and 20 Mbit plans if you ask nicely. I took it as I'd rather their modem be just a modem, and I can handle routing myself.

yeh... and to be honest im a little annoyed, when i moved into this place everything was working fine for months with my old SA modem...

one of the other guys moved out and it was all in his name, ntl closed the account and cancelled our internet... even tho i opened a new account and i was without internet and tv for a few days while they had to come over and replace the hardware (even though the hardware i had was fine and only needed to be provisioned again, which could have been done over the phone).

anyway the guy came, took my old SA modem which was working perfectly fine, and gave me a new SA modem (same with the digital tv box).. complete waste of time... and now this modem is giving me problems, granted after a few months, but still grrrr! the part i hate is having to phone ntl and try and explain to them it is an intermittent problem and not related to my PC or router blah blah

Advertisement