Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KFC coming to Briarhill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

JustMary wrote: »
    It's quite funny, I was warned when I came here that the supposedly "fresh" vegetables here ain't as fresh as I would be used to, and that I should consider taking a multi-vitamin suppliment.
    What crackpot told you that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

cooperguy wrote: »
    They have the foundations dug for the building now. In a few months time you'll be able to get KFC goodness (or badness depending on your outlook!)

I can't believe they got planning permission to build there. That junction at Dunnes can get pretty crazy sometimes and now their putting in a drive-thru.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ScumLord wrote: »
    What crackpot told you that?

A "fitness consultant" in the gym. I didn't take a lot of notice, and don't waste my money on vitamins.

I do find it odd that "healthfood" shops are so common here though, quite a few people must be buying "stuff" to keep them all in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Everything in moderation

Just because you pigged out on fast food for a while doesnt mean the rest of us will !

Skyuser wrote: »
    I can't believe they got planning permission to build there. That junction at Dunnes can get pretty crazy sometimes and now their putting in a drive-thru.
    That's the way we roll in Galway, traffic heavy on a junction we have just the solution more traffic, maybe some traffic lights and a bus stop. Some one seriously needs a beating in Galway planning it's beyond a joke at this stage, I'm very surprised international companies are buying into us at all, I guess they're just accepted our backwards transport network.
    JustMary wrote: »
    I do find it odd that "healthfood" shops are so common here though, quite a few people must be buying "stuff" to keep them all in business.
    It's amassing, I saw the exact same bag of seed mix sold in woodies for a fraction of the cost it was in a health food shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mikebites

KFC in moderation is like smoking in moderation (at least that's how I see it). Every bit of their fried chicken is bad. The oil they use is not healthy and also not in moderation, the starch in the bread crumbs is bad, they use unsorted fatty pieces of chicken with loads of salt. Anyway, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I've always been physically fit (NUIG-postgrad-soccer-tournament-semifinalist fit). Just my triglyceride level won't stay low even if I take KFC in moderation and it's not genetic. In US they (along with McD, BK etc) spend lots of money on the politicians to keep their business running in profit. They are supposed to keep a calorie chart for the menu in the store, which most of the stores do not.

I would recommend two movies "Super-size Me" by Morgan Spurlock and "Fast Food Nation". I'm sure some of you might have already seen them. If you haven't and could avail any on them please give it a try. The first one is a documentary, where the director tries to live on McDonald food for a month, which leads to severe health problem. The second one is a drama movie, revealing information about the fast food industry. It shows how the health regulations are not maintained. It also shows since the meat belt runs so fast it is hard for the workers to cut clean pieces of meat and put them on the belt. As a result meat patties in the burger might contain feces from the intestine part.

But I understand there are lots of KFC and fast food fans. So, good news for them. Cheers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You mean to say that fried chicken isn't the health enhancing superfood I once thought it was?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

mikebites wrote: »
    KFC in moderation is like smoking in moderation (at least that's how I see it). Every bit of their fried chicken is bad. The oil they use is not healthy and also not in moderation, the starch in the bread crumbs is bad, they use unsorted fatty pieces of chicken with loads of salt. Anyway, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I've always been physically fit (NUIG-postgrad-soccer-tournament-semifinalist fit). Just my triglyceride level won't stay low even if I take KFC in moderation and it's not genetic. In US they (along with McD, BK etc) spend lots of money on the politicians to keep their business running in profit. They are supposed to keep a calorie chart for the menu in the store, which most of the stores do not.

I would recommend two movies "Super-size Me" by Morgan Spurlock and "Fast Food Nation". I'm sure some of you might have already seen them. If you haven't and could avail any on them please give it a try. The first one is a documentary, where the director tries to live on McDonald food for a month, which leads to severe health problem. The second one is a drama movie, revealing information about the fast food industry. It shows how the health regulations are not maintained. It also shows since the meat belt runs so fast it is hard for the workers to cut clean pieces of meat and put them on the belt. As a result meat patties in the burger might contain feces from the intestine part.

But I understand there are lots of KFC and fast food fans. So, good news for them. Cheers.

Straight off the bat I see you talking purely about the American side of things, what relevance has that to me here in the good ol EU? (this is a genuine query, not some smart arse attempt to derail your argument).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mikebites

I understand your point. I don't believe these guys know anything other than profit, whether it is in US or EU. They have it already in US, now they are trying to enjoy the same freedom in EU.

Another example of similar kind is the Shell pipeline contrversy in Ireland. These oil companies are the only companies to make profit even during recession and they want to build pipelines that would harm people and give them filthy profit. It's not that they make bigger profit because they work harder than anyone else (as Bill O'Reilly says), it's just matter of money. They can buy people whereas others cannot and hence they can justify unjust acts.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I understand your point. I don't believe these guys know anything other than profit, whether it is in US or EU. They have it already in US, now they are trying to enjoy the same freedom in EU.
    The EU are currently opposed to private industry making profit, but the chicken-toting Southern Colonel's are trying to change all this?
    mikebites wrote:
    Another example of similar kind is the Shell pipeline contrversy in Ireland. These oil companies are the only companies to make profit even during recession and they want to build pipelines that would harm people and give them filthy profit. It's not that they make bigger profit because they work harder than anyone else (as Bill O'Reilly says), it's just matter of money. They can buy people whereas others cannot and hence they can justify unjust acts.
    Nice crowbarring of this particular strawman.

Look, we can stroke our beards at a copy of No Logo, Fast Food Nation or some copypasta from Indymedia. It does not make your arguments novel, unexpected or mark you as some guardian of truthiness. You're taking a thread about the potential opening of a middling chain fast food shack and making it out like Galwegians have no free will or common sense.

I won't lie to you, KFC in moderation can be tidy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Mactard wrote: »
    Straight off the bat I see you talking purely about the American side of things, what relevance has that to me here in the good ol EU? (this is a genuine query, not some smart arse attempt to derail your argument).

I'd agree here. I think Europe and America have met the whole fast food thing differently anyway.One thing I'd give America over Europe and actually give against America too because they do it knowingly.

After those movies came out Europe seemed to scream louder and profits went down so McDonalds and the other companies needed to completely change their marketing strategy here. All of a sudden McDonalds was trying to be trendy and pushed their salads in our face. It didn't seem like they did that so much in America. In America the reaction appeared to be more of a "We knew it was bad for us already, we eat it because it tastes good"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Nothing you said there was true! There are plenty of companies in plenty of industries making a profit during the recession. The pipeline is no way way going to harm people either! Also the companies (and individuals) who earn the most money may not necessarily work harder than your average person however they take (or have taken) more risks and spotted gaps in the market etc. which is what they get rewarded for.

And you quoted Bill O'Reilly, I really dont have any respect for that guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's keep this thread about KFC and not about oil.
    Plenty of those threads if you search.
    Thx

Magnus wrote: »
    Let's keep this thread about KFC and not about oil.
    Plenty of those threads if you search.
    Thx

mmmmm....oil....I like it in a roll with spicy hot chicken, stuffing and onions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

we will finally see a kfc in galway, never thought i'd see the day and i really cannot wait to pig out in same and not have to wait til i pass thru athlone, sligo or roscommon for the pleasure!! :)

ya can stick your supermacs where the sun dont shine now hahahahaha

Elevator wrote: »
    ya can stick your supermacs where the sun dont shine now hahahahaha
    In fairness "where the sun don't shine" could mean anywhere in Ireland these days. Just say "stick it up your hole" to save people looking up weather reports and google earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I LOVE KFC!!!!!

The first thing I did when I got to the states in September was hit up a KFC.

Now I'm a fan of our fair Supermac's snackbox from time to time, but my god... KFC is off the charts.

I for one will not be gorging all the time whence it comes to Galway, but I would like to have the option. :pac:........... nom nom nom. I eat all the chickens

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

KFC are now advertising for managers for a Drive-thru in Briarhill Shpping Centre - ad in paper today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

*Excited giggle*

Soon... It will be with us soon. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I can't bloody wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I think people are getting a little bit overexcited about what is, after all, a fast-food joint :D

chicken ........ mmmmmmmmmm ....... tasty chicken ......... mmmmmmmmmm

Anybody got any new info on this? When will she be up and running?

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Anybody got any new info on this? When will she be up and running?

passed by site yesterday ... still very building sitey looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 frogwestside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVxv7PPGZqg sayin that a bucket wud go down well now

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

any word on this opening thought it wassupposed to open n march?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

its only half built now so i'd say its gonna be july/ august at the earliest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dubhghaillix

Where's it being built?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Briarhill.

• Advertisement

South Park has given me a craving! Do they do extra crispy in Ireland. They didn't in Sligo..

Advertisement