Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions needed on this build please

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Solitaire wrote: »
    Deano's been smoking something again :P Unless you really need all the gribblies on the Maximus you could simply swap the prices around and have a fast quad and a cheaper mobo without having to gamble on whether AMD disabled your shiny new X2-550BEs cores because it failed to bin or because they're simply FUBAR :P Also wondering if you'd be better off with a cheaper HD4770, or a slightly pricier HD4870 if you're thinking of getting a full 1080p monitor for this.

Does the fact that it's called the Maximus Formula not count for anything....POWER !!! lol

Good idea to whoever I did this build for,if you dont want the maximus,get a 955 and maybe a M4A79Evo (I think thats the name,its about €100)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Effluo wrote: »
    2 different builds, 2 different uses + way too much confusion

That's what you get when people start hijacking other people's threads! ;):D

Nah, only messing, fellas. Seriously, though, if it'll make things easier for people to follow, the mods should go ahead and feel free to split this thread off from my last previous post or whatever as I went ahead and ordered the parts for that i5 build earlier today anyway, therefore the original purpose of this thread is largely redundant now as I got the advice and answers I needed and put the order in (I just went ahead and got it all from Komplett in the end, by the way). So if it'll make things easier to follow for the other people looking for advice on their builds, the mods can feel free to go ahead and split this thread off and lock it if they wish.

What was your build in the end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I went with the i5 build I put together on page 1 of the thread, Deano. This one here:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=739427&su=3FA50D11-2EBB-4DA5-A07E-17964C60C97F

Came to just under €860 including delivery. I could have got some things cheaper had I ordered from various other sites but when you factor in multiple delivery charges from multiple sites, it would have worked out overall not all that much cheaper than buying the whole lot in one go from Komplett. I worked it out as being only maybe €20 - 30 cheaper overall doing it that way so, for convienience sake and to get it all in one go, I decided to sacrifice the saving and just get the whole lot from Komplett.

Some of the stuff (the graphics card and RAM) isn't due to be back in stock until the middle of next week so, provided they get it on time, hopefully the whole order will be shipped out by the end of next week and I'll have it by the middle or end of the following week, fingers crossed.

Mods, feel free to split this thread as necessary and lock it now if you wish. Thanks for all the help and advice guys, it was a big help.

I went with the i5 build I put together on page 1 of the thread, Deano. This one here:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=739427&su=3FA50D11-2EBB-4DA5-A07E-17964C60C97F

Came to just under €860 including delivery. I could have got some things cheaper had I ordered from various other sites but when you factor in multiple delivery charges from multiple sites, it would have worked out overall not all that much cheaper than buying the whole lot in one go from Komplett. I worked it out as being only maybe €20 - 30 cheaper overall doing it that way so, for convienience sake and to get it all in one go, I decided to sacrifice the saving and just get the whole lot from Komplett.

Some of the stuff (the graphics card and RAM) isn't due to be back in stock until the middle of next week so, provided they get it on time, hopefully the whole order will be shipped out by the end of next week and I'll have it by the middle or end of the following week, fingers crossed.

Mods, feel free to split this thread as necessary and lock it now if you wish. Thanks for all the help and advice guys, it was a big help.

Nice one,enjoy the rig :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Right I went out last night and picked up a retail machine---I know--goes against all you lot told me :)

Specs
    Phenom x3 8600 @ 2.3
    2gb ddr2 @1066 (I think)
    320gb sata.
    400w psu.
    Ati Radeon 4350 512.
    Cost €300.00

Going to upgrade the Graphics card to this one

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=499641 - Asus 4850 - €93--

Should even be ok with the psu thats in it now but maybe a 650w one plus another 2gb ram(Ill give it a whirl with the 2gigs and see how it runs).

Should have a decent enough machine for my uses for under 400 euros.
    Oh yeah as long as I can play at 1280*1024 Im happy(Thats my monitors max supported resolution)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Hellrazer wrote: »
    -

Should even be ok with the psu thats in it now but maybe a 650w one plus another 2gb ram(Ill give it a whirl with the 2gigs and see how it runs).

What's the brand of the psu, a good 400watt psu would do all that fine

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

What's the brand of the psu, a good 400watt psu would do all that fine

Havent a clue--Ill take a look later on.But even so Id imagine the retail manufacturers dont use decent ones.
    According to a couple of these online power calculators with 4850 Ill have 60+ watts to spare.

According to a couple of these online power calculators with 4850 Ill have 60+ watts to spare.

Do not pay any attention to those, it's all about what type of psu you have and the rest is just research on power consumption of each main part

Always thought those were fairly accurate---ah well.

However the psu is some make Ive never even heard of so Im gonna stick a new one in it.Its a standard atx2 but do I go for modular or not???

Have a decision to make now.
    Radeon 4890 for €120 + 15 delivery or a GTX260 for €115+ 15 delivery--which is the better card?

• Advertisement

The 4890 by far, but you never said what games you'll be playing and at what resolution your screen is.

This way we can determine how much you should be spending on it.

Also where the hell are you getting those prices from?

The 4890 by far, but you never said what games you'll be playing and at what resolution your screen is.

5 posts ago.
    Oh yeah as long as I can play at 1280*1024 Im happy(Thats my monitors max supported resolution)
    As for games--Mainly BF1943 whenever they release the specs.Crysis,BF2,Vietnam,New COD,fps mainly.
    Also where the hell are you getting those prices from?
    Just got my mates pixmania pro account number and log in details so I dont have to pay VAT.And the prices are cheaper than the normal pixmania site aswell :):)
    Its dangerous for me having those details and a cleared credit card :D

Just got my mates pixmania pro account number and log in details so I dont have to pay VAT.And the prices are cheaper than the normal pixmania site aswell :):)
    Its dangerous for me having those details and a cleared credit card :D

Do want one of those accounts,also,who isn't dangerous with a cleared Credit card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Not paying VAT is fun! :D

Well the 4770 would do only ok with crysis(even at that res)

If you fancied upping detail lvl then the 4890 would be pretty sweet, but only get it if you're really set on playing crysis on high.

Looky here,
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-radeon-hd-4770-review/10

Advertisement