Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baldoyle or Raheny ?

Options
  • 27-10-2009 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey there, looking at both of these areas for buying a house and wondering what people think is a better area in terms of community, facilities etc ? can either buy a Terraced house in Raheny or a Semi in Baldoyle. would appreciate the feedback - thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I think Raheny would be a better choice. It's a more settled area and has greater amenities & better public transport links. You would also be beside St. Annes Park and Bull Island - nice for walks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Dord wrote: »
    I think Raheny would be a better choice. It's a more settled area and has greater amenities & better public transport links. You would also be beside St. Annes Park and Bull Island - nice for walks! :)

Deffo... closer to town too. BUT Baldoyle is lovely and sometimes a terraced house means dragging green/brown/black bins through the house. I moved to Raheny about five years ago. Can't get over the amenities, wildlife, public transport, quiet open spaces... etc. Good luck with your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I'd go for Raheny over Baldoyle too. It has a lot more going for it than Baldoyle (nothing wrong with Baldoyle, I lived there for a couple of months but think Raheny has better amenities).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Raheny by far. Its a nice settled community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Raheny is nice, but if my terraced house your talking about the old corpo house's up around St.Annes park I'd suggest looking for a more modern house elsewhere.

In my experience buys these old house's is really a nightmare from day one until you move. You'll always be catching up with repairs and anything else from re-wiring to damp proofing.

Have you any idea what part of Baldoyle you'll be looking at?.

• Advertisement

Have you any idea what part of Baldoyle you'll be looking at?.

Some FINE big houses in Baldoyle! Great area, sometimes overlooked to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

lightening wrote: »
    Some FINE big houses in Baldoyle! Great area, sometimes overlooked to be honest.

I would go for Baldoyle. Raheny is lovely but you pay a bit more for the snob appeal of Raheny.

Baldoyle is close to Clongriffin and Fr. Collins Park and it's very near the coast as well. Baldoyle doesn't seem as clustered as Raheny. Both are lovely areas but Baldoyle has the edge for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 hoolihoop

thanks for feedback all - some good points. house in baldoyle much bigger however its on a main road ! will prob end up going with that one tho- i think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

hoolihoop wrote: »
    thanks for feedback all - some good points. house in baldoyle much bigger however its on a main road ! will prob end up going with that one tho- i think :)

Either area is nice and settled and the beach is beside both of them.

Enjoy:)

rcunning03 wrote: »
    Either area is nice and settled and the beach is beside both of them.

A major major plus. I spend a huge amount of time in, on or beside the sea. It's amazing the amount of people that live near me that never go to the beach or parks in the area.

Best of luck OP, tell us where you settle for!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Both are grand spots. For me I would probably choose Raheny for it's proximity to the City and public transport and cycling, there is a Dart station in the village, which is more conveniant than Sutton Dart station for Baldoyle.
    St Annes Park is also legend. Both have Libraries. Seem to be a few more shops and amenities in Raheny also, but neither towns are very far from each other anyway.
    The downside in Raheny is you have to put up with heaps of learner drivers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

WindSock wrote: »
    The downside in Raheny is you have to put up with heaps of learner drivers ;)

Yes, but if you do have to do your test it's great. Plus it's got the shortest waiting time for a test in Dublin apparently. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Has to be Raheny for me, but nowt wrong with Baldoyle really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It really depends on which part of which area.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

WindSock wrote: »
    For me I would probably choose Raheny for it's proximity to the City and public transport and cycling, there is a Dart station in the village, which is more conveniant than Sutton Dart station for Baldoyle.

Bayside dart is very close to many estates in baldoyle too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

In baldoyle avoid Moyclare and seagrange,especially moyclare..there's been quite a few drug-related killings and a good bit of drug dealing still goes on around here..also bayside trainstaion is not safe after dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Degsy wrote: »
    In baldoyle avoid Moyclare and seagrange,especially moyclare..there's been quite a few drug-related killings and a good bit of drug dealing still goes on around here

Yes it goes on and i'm sure it does just as much in Rahney.
    ..also bayside trainstaion is not safe after dark.

I would avoid this station in the late evenings if possbile as it seems to gather the wrong crowd at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Yup, Harmonstown and Edenmore ends of Raheny are dodgy for drugs and killings.

OP both Raheny and Baldoyle are big areas. You really need to tell us where abouts in those areas you're looking at as they both have their bad and really good patches.

In baldoyle avoid Moyclare and seagrange,especially moyclare..there's been quite a few drug-related killings and a good bit of drug dealing still goes on around here..also bayside trainstaion is not safe after dark.

In Moyclare there's been one shooting, it was more than ten years ago and nothing to do with drugs.

As for the security situation at the DART stations, its a problem which exists in just about all DART stations and is in no way worse in Bayside than anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

I would go for Raheny..
    A much better area, in terms of open space, very settled, top notch transport links, pubs, 1 or more restaurants, schools.
    Having went to school in Baldoyle, I wouldn't recommend the area, gangs, graffitti, burnt out cars, the usual thuggery.
    Both areas don't really have proper supermarkets, just Super Valu's, so you'll have to go to Donaghmede Shopping Centre maybe.
    Parts of Baldoyle are prone to flooding also. Living right beside the sea has it's downfalls, flooding for one, also the cold wind blowing right in the door.
    Baldoyle is a bit isolated in my opinion, not a whole heap going on, limited transport.
    Bayside train station is quite dangerous after dark, which is from 5pm onwards these days. Gangs congregate on both sides of the station.
    If it was me I would go for the Raheny one without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I've seen security at Bayside station. Are they not there at night time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

tricky D wrote: »
    Yup, Harmonstown and Edenmore ends of Raheny are dodgy for drugs and killings.

OP both Raheny and Baldoyle are big areas. You really need to tell us where abouts in those areas you're looking at as they both have their bad and really good patches.

They're the crux of it. Big areas, both with bad areas within them.
    In Moyclare there's been one shooting, it was more than ten years ago and nothing to do with drugs.

Having grown up in D13 and having been a teenager inclined towards friends from that area, I beg to differ.

OP, both areas have good points and bad points. If it was a nice area of Baldoyle and a bad area in Raheny, I'd pick baldoyle and vice versa. If they're both on level footing in terms of niceness, Raheny would probably have the edge for me in terms of areas. There's just more going on. But that's based purely on the area and takes into account nothing about the size and niceness of the house.

Having grown up in D13 and having been a teenager inclined towards friends from that area, I beg to differ.

Ok, who else was shot in Moyclare then?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Nobody, according to my OH who is from there. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Baldoyle has a pretty bad rep and it's largely unfounded. I think , as tricky d said it really depends where in each area, and also what the house itself is like. Based purely on amenities and proximity to town I would probably lean slightly more towards Raheny. But of course you can probably get a nicer, larger house in Baldoyle.

As regards the train station thing, tbh most train stations are a bit dodge at night, unfortunately the fact that they are up away from the road makes them prime spots for idiots to hang around. There is security at night, I think they move around stations and trains tho. I would feel no more or less safe in Bayside station compared to Raheny station.

Happy househunting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I've been living in moyclare for since I was born(20 years now) and there was one shooting around 9 years ago, not drug related. That was the last bad thing to happen there, it used to be a bad place but now it's a lovely place to live in

It's a great estate, everywhere has a history and the problem is peoples parents telling their kids "oh don't go near moyclare it's a terrible place" when it has been fine for the past 10 years.

For example my father lived in edenmore(raheny) and said the place is still very rough. Maybe it is but I'm sure it has changed a lot from when he lived there(some 30 years now). They're both great places but I don't know enough about raheny to say..

From baldoyle village you are 15 minutes walk max from 2 secondary schools, 2 primary schools 4 garages, 3 pubs, 2 churches and a dart station. Theres one big park(seagrange) that's smack in the middle and the coast is about 25 minutes depending on the one you want to go to(coast road leading up to howth or the coast leading to portmarnock).

EDIT: And to add I prefer going to sutton dart station mainly for the walk since you go by the coast. The problem with bayside dart station is the tunnel, going from seagrange park through to the dart station means you have to go under the station in a tunnel. You could have two or three lads in there and if they are making noise it'll sound like there is 10 of them and it can be intimidating walking by them

I love baldoyle so 'a do:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Davy wrote: »
    Bayside dart is very close to many estates in baldoyle too.

D'oh. Forgot about that.

There is also a Lidl in Baldoyle too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Sorry I meant on the drugs front, not the shootings front. It's stupid to say there's no drugs there, there are drugs everywhere in this country. However, larger estates can (note, not always) cause the problem to be magnified. Especially exacerbated by having a school right by it.

I'm sure that most of the people in Moyclare are lovely. I just wouldn't want to count on the others is all, from past experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 hoolihoop

thanks again all. looking at Grange Road in Baldoyle and Ashcroft/ Belmont in Raheny ! I never realised the decision where to buy would be so hard !

• Advertisement

Bloody right, it might be the most expensive thing you will ever buy in your life! Drive and park up for a few hours at night and during the day in any area you are considering, get a feel for the area.

Advertisement