Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baldoyle or Raheny ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

I moved from Dalkey to Raheny nearly 20 years ago. Got married and the OH wanted to stay close to Mammy and all that. Raheny is a great place to live but just like every area it has its ups and downs but mostly up. When I moved I thought the difference would be huge but to be honest both communities are very similar. All this Northside v Southside is just tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

I'd take Ashcroft/Belmont over the Grange Road in Baldoyle. Not a huge difference between them. The Grange Road has the advantage of the Lidl and Bayside Station, near the sea and Howth. I like both areas and wouldn't describe either as "rough", but there are plenty of skangers within wandering distance.

I prefer the houses in Ashcroft/Belmont. Also, Raheny is closer to town, a slightly nicer village IMHO, and Raheny station is marginally closer (and gets more trains - both Howth & Malahide). There's a big SuperValu in Raheny and a Tesco up the road a bit in Kilbarrack. And Raheny has probably has more pubs, restaurants & social amenities, e.g. GAA club, Athletics club, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I'd take Raheny also. It also has a Garda station nearby and if you're in for the long haul, the choice of schools is better imo.

One caveat though. Some of the houses on Ashcroft/Belmont back onto the railway line which could cause some noise issues. Most get used to it, but some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

rednik wrote: »
    I moved from Dalkey to Raheny nearly 20 years ago. Got married and the OH wanted to stay close to Mammy and all that. Raheny is a great place to live but just like every area it has its ups and downs but mostly up. When I moved I thought the difference would be huge but to be honest both communities are very similar. All this Northside v Southside is just tripe.

Thats an interesting post. One obvious difference I suppose is that house prices in Dalkey are five times higher than Raheny.....(or thereabouts).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Raheny and Baldoyle are both fine to live in. Both areas have vastly improved over the years and have good facilities. Raheny does have a nicer park though. I was looking at both areas myself recently and chose Raheny as it's closer to town. Check the area of Baldoyle you buy in for flood history as some roads are badly affected and it will cause insurance problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I know this thread is old, but there is no need to start a new one.

I currently live in baldoyle with my parents. They considering selling our house in baldoyle, and moving to Raheny. Primarily to move closer to family, and financially.

What is Raheny like today in terms of amenities like restraunts, cafes shops and public transport ect

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Baldoyle and Raheny are reasonably large and spread out suburbs and both have at their heart an original village hub. There is little to choose between them in terms of amenities.
    So it all boils down to exactly which part of either place you are either living in or want to move to, you have to be that specific in order to make a meaningful comparison / analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Hi,

We moved into Raheny from Swords last November, and love the area. The transport links to the city are fantastic, with a 12 minute commute on the Dart to Connelly station.

As regards Restaurants, it probably only OK. There are only 3-4 of varying quality, with McHugs off St Assams avenue being about the best, Milinos an OK Italian and the Cock and Bull you standard burger / pizza stuff pub stuff. If you want a better verity of places then Clontarf along the sea front is a better bet.

There are a few coffee places, my fav at the moment is in the black banks garden centre, and the place in Red Stables.

Overall the area is reasonably quiet as the population in the town is mostly on the older side, having been first settled in the late 50s / early 60s. There is little traffic to speak off during the day with virtually no traffic in the morning until after 7:30am (in Swords it was pretty much a continuous 24hour occurrence).

The sea front is great for a walkies, and stAnnes a lovely place to stroll around if the mood takes you.

At weekends Howth / Sutton is only 5 mins in the car, and indeed town and the south side 20 minutes odd.

We haven't looked back since we moved...

MisterDrak wrote: »
    At weekends Howth / Sutton is only 5 mins in the car,
    Unfortunately, any decent weather could mean up to an hour if the traffic jams up, though typically more like 20/30 mins, but it's easy to get the DART in that case. My worst ever jam was 105 minutes from just east of the Causeway to Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Surprised that most people are going for Raheny, which is a lovely, well-kept village with historic buildings. I don't know much about either place but for being right at the sea (as opposed to a short walk from it) the area around Strand Road (look at that view!) clinches it for me. There does seem to be a lack of coordinated planning in Baldoyle's built environment and thus a lack of character and soul to the place, but the sea view! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭bren2001

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Surprised that most people are going for Raheny, which is a lovely, well-kept village with historic buildings. I don't know much about either place but for being right at the sea (as opposed to a short walk from it) the area around Strand Road (look at that view!) clinches it for me. There does seem to be a lack of coordinated planning in Baldoyle's built environment and thus a lack of character and soul to the place, but the sea view! :D

Well, if you are not on the Stand Road then the sea view is irrelevant!

I've lived in both and found Raheny has better transport links and amenities. I've found the atmosphere in Raheny village better (but that could be because I happen to know more people there). Raheny is a no brainer for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I know this thread is old, but there is no need to start a new one.

I currently live in baldoyle with my parents. They considering selling our house in baldoyle, and moving to Raheny. Primarily to move closer to family, and financially.

What is Raheny like today in terms of amenities like restraunts, cafes shops and public transport ect

Sorry but have you never left Baldoyle? How are you not familiar with Raheny? It's right beside it.
    I live beside Raheny, it's lovely. Nice pubs and a couple of decent restaurants.

Sorry but have you never left Baldoyle? How are you not familiar with Raheny? It's right beside it.
    I live beside Raheny, it's lovely. Nice pubs and a couple of decent restaurants.

I'm never in Raheny. I only pass through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

I'm never in Raheny. I only pass through it.

trying stopping

buying a house is the biggest financial decision anyone makes, do your own research and don't rely on anonymous opinions on the internet

Raheny would be much better imho. It's got a more distinct and cohesive heart to it where as Baldoyle is more dispersed with fewer amenities. Taking a good tour is a must.

woodseb wrote: »
    trying stopping

buying a house is the biggest financial decision anyone makes, do your own research and don't rely on anonymous opinions on the internet

It's my parents not me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm not having a go here, I'm genuinely curious. How can someone live in/grow up in Baldoyle & not know what Raheny is like? They're so close to each other. Have you never driven thru Raheny village with your parents & seen all the shops, pubs, restaurants etc etc?

Advertisement