Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 pieces of advice.

• 27-10-2009 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭

1. - dont worry too much about junior cert. as long as you do a bit of study every night for te month before you'll be fine.

2. - DO NOT DO T.Y. ITS TERRIBLE...THEY SAY YOU'LL DO THIS AND THAT , IT SOUNDS UNREAL AND.....ITS A LOAD OF POOP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

That is true. It is only the JC. A small bit of study is all that is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

My brother did TY and he says it was the best year of his life..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All the research shows those who do TY get on better than those who don't.
    Its success for a student depends on what the student puts into it themselves, so it varies person to person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Condoms

TY is good for some but I think better to avoid for most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

It depends on where you go to school tbh, some schools have a fantastic TY program, some do not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'll add a 3rd piece of advice - get the new log tables. They have all the formula you need for maths (co-ordinate geometry mainly, some trig), aswell as all the area and volume formulae for circles and things. It's best you get them now and get used to them, because there is LOTS of Leaving Cert material in them which you don't need, lots of pages and if it's your first time looking at them on the day of the exam you're gonna be in trouble.

Last year I went into the exam without ever looking at the log tables - thank goodness all you needed then was just the area and volume formulae. Now, you have it easier. But to take full advantage of it, you NEED TO FAMILIAR WITH THE LOG TABLES BEFORE THE EXAM.

It's not like buying them is only useful for the JC, you'll need them in the LC anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Ty is whats getting me through 3rd year!
    It's good our school though, once you get in. You have to be interviewed first :\
    Yeah the log books are handy they also have the -b squared formula, which is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Xx_emma_xX wrote: »
    Is that the formulae and tables books? I'm only in 2nd year now but our new teacher [we were streamed this year] already told us to get them although we haven't used it. Can't make much sense of mine yet except for a few pages...half in english, half in irish and there's some science stuff in there too, right?
    Yeah, that's the one. If you're in second year I wouldn't worry about it yet, I can't really remember, but I don't think we got to co-ordinate geometry until 3rd year.
    deise_girl wrote: »
    Ty is whats getting me through 3rd year!
    It's good our school though, once you get in. You have to be interviewed first :\
    Yeah the log books are handy they also have the -b squared formula, which is good.
    The the -b one is on the cover! The unit circle is in the trigonometry section too, which will be useful, whenever you do trig, along with the triangle formulae (sine rule, area, etc).
    The slope formula, lenght, etc for co-ordinate geometry is all there.

I can't quite remember, but in JC science, I don't think you get the tables during the exam. You don't really need them anyway, you'll just have to learn the physics formulae.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

Log tables will be handy for Technology as well, All the Logic Gates,switches and symbols are in them,so assuming they will be given out in the technology exam? I do not know this. Anyway if they are given out,there will be no need for the learning off of all the gates etc.. I think this would be useful for metalwork as well ?

The biggest piece of advice I would give anyone doing the JC would to be know the exam paper format and what questions will be asked inside-out. If you spend time at this, it can be easy to see patterns,predict and what not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

jumpguy wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the one. If you're in second year I wouldn't worry about it yet, I can't really remember, but I don't think we got to co-ordinate geometry until 3rd year.

The the -b one is on the cover! The unit circle is in the trigonometry section too, which will be useful, whenever you do trig, along with the triangle formulae (sine rule, area, etc).
    The slope formula, lenght, etc for co-ordinate geometry is all there.

I can't quite remember, but in JC science, I don't think you get the tables during the exam. You don't really need them anyway, you'll just have to learn the physics formulae.
    If you think any of the science formulae in the JC is hard good luck in LC Physics or Chemistry :D

• Advertisement

If you think any of the science formulae in the JC is hard good luck in LC Physics or Chemistry :D

*mental note, do not do science subjects after J.C*

Well we are basically given all the formulae in the log tables, so all it is, is throwing numbers in for letters really? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Gaeilge-go-deo

jumpguy wrote: »

The the -b one is on the cover!

It is haha

Yeh I saw :)

Have it and all. Theres like only a small amount thats need for J.C isnt there?? Co-ordinate geometry, triangle stuff, area & volume and the algebra that they have.. Okay that sounds alot but compared to the amount in it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

Wow...I really miss Junior Cert reading this..
    Milk it while you can you guys. Once you hit 5th year its a different world, you cant imagine how easy JC is compared to it.

To address the whole TY thing.. personally, I thought it was a beneficial year to grow more confidence and all that kinda thing, you build a good rapport with your year and some of the activities are great but overall I do feel like I wasted a year of my life, even if it was fun at the time.

I did find getting back into the working frame of mind pretty hard as I didnt do a tap of homework for most of the year, especially near the end.

I'm in 6th year now and still finding it hard to motivate myself fully into study whereas before TY I was really good at getting down to it without a bother.

:(

The only subject I find to be genuinely hard in the Junior Cert is Science...and I suppose that gets a lot more difficult...I'm thinking I'll probably do Biology or Chemistry, or just one of them...we haven't done much physics yet so who knows...I might actually enjoy it.
    :o

Do not take Junior Cert Science science as an indication to LC science. Im doing Physics and JC Physics is completely irrelevant. Also with History, if you like History at JC, do not take it for granted that you will like LC history. 2 completely different subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

:(

The only subject I find to be genuinely hard in the Junior Cert is Science...and I suppose that gets a lot more difficult...I'm thinking I'll probably do Biology or Chemistry, or just one of them...we haven't done much physics yet so who knows...I might actually enjoy it.
    :o

I'm not doing any science subject for leaving cert but my friends seem to like biology anyway, they say its really easy to get a grasp of so I'd say that'd be a good subject to do.

I'm doing history for LC, there is an awful lot to remember but I do love the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I'd hate to do history for the LC. I find it worse now becvause I had such a boring teacher last year :(
    I've decided what subjects I'm going to do for the LC though:
    Maths, English, Irish, French, Business, Biology, Chemistry and maybe music outside of school :D

Advertisement