Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many subjects are you doing?

Options
  • 27-10-2009 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭

Pretty straight forward, how many subjects are you doing in school for Leaving 2010/2011 and if you're doing extra ones at home put it in the post. Just curious to see what most people have.
    I have 7 subjects, and am doing Applied Maths at home (trying anyway).

EDIT: Post the subjects too actually, I'm doing maths, English, Irish, German, physics, chemistry and biology at school.

How many subjects are you doing in school for the Leaving Cert? 110 votes

0% 0 votes
    4% 5 votes
    48% 53 votes
    34% 38 votes
    11% 13 votes
    0% 0 votes
    0% 1 vote
    More than 12
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Ok, so 9 maybe, but ****ing 12:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Y'know, they're always on the Independent after the exam results, the guy/girl who get 12 A1's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'm doing seven; English,Irish,maths,French,chemistry,physics and economics. I'm a repeat,and I originally dropped maths (got a D2 in the higher level paper this year) but I was getting really bored so I picked it back up :) I think 7-8 is the ideal,I've never understood this trend of doing 11 or 12 subjects. Seems pointless,but I am a bit of a waster,in fairness,hence the repeating :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Seven, was considering taking up another outside of school but decided against it. Sevens enough work for me!

jumpguy wrote: »
    Y'know, they're always on the Independent after the exam results, the guy/girl who get 12 A1's.
    Why oh why oh why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 dh19br

I'm doin 9 ;)... English - Maths - Engineerin - Cosntruction - DCG - Technology - Spanish - Portuguese - Physics :D:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

I'm doing 7 - English, Irish, Maths, Business, Biology, French & History
    I don't think I'd be able to do any more than 7!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

jumpguy wrote: »
    I saw the fella on the news who got 9 A1's, that seemed fairly mental:eek:
    But thats 3 extra subjects he did for no reason:rolleyes:
    He should've stuck to the 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

any more than 8 and your taking the piss IMHO!

Oh sorry it was 9 A1's he got.

Anyone doing 12 subjects must seriously love study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Im doing 7-Maths-English-Irish-History-German-Geography- Biology!

Like it a bit useless doing more than 8 like what you going to use it for or unless they really love the subject!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

6 English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Art
    I'm a repeat so I got my requirement in Irish last year. I sometimes wonder if I should have taken up another subject, since art can be a hard enough one to get high marks in, but my timetable didn't really allow for it, so I'm on six!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

7-chemistry-biology-economics-Spanish(HL)-maths-Irish-English(ORD)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

Economics
    History
    French
    Business
    Geog
    English
    Maths

Don't do Irish cause I lived in France until I was 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I'm doing 7.

English, Irish, Maths, DCG, French, History and Physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

English, Irish, Maths, Art, Construction, Business, Geography, Links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

I don't think ya can do more than 9:confused: Can anyone confirm this?

btw, I'm doing 7-Irish, English, HL Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and French!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

Mayoegian wrote: »
    I don't think ya can do more than 9:confused: Can anyone confirm this?

btw, I'm doing 7-Irish, English, HL Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and French!

You can do as many subjects as you want, a fella in my school back about 15 years ago did 21 subjects just to prove that the leavind cert can be passed without doing as much study as said,he did all pass and I dont think he got over 250 points.

I'm doing 7 subjects at the moment, English,Irish,Maths,Physics,French,History and Business. Really considering taking up Applied Maths.Any recomendations on which book to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

maths, english,irish, french, bio, history, accounting and cow science:P

Evan93 wrote: »
    Really considering taking up Applied Maths.Any recomendations on which book to use?
    I've been advised by pretty much everyone and I'm using it myself: Fundamental Applied Mathematics by Oliver Murphy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dummkopf

7 is plenty- English, Irish, Maths, German, Biology, Physics&Chemistry and Home Ec.
    12 is just mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

Evan93 wrote: »
    You can do as many subjects as you want, a fella in my school back about 15 years ago did 21 subjects just to prove that the leavind cert can be passed without doing as much study as said,he did all pass and I dont think he got over 250 points.

I'm doing 7 subjects at the moment, English,Irish,Maths,Physics,French,History and Business. Really considering taking up Applied Maths.Any recomendations on which book to use?

ok just to clear things up a bit, technically you can do as many subjects as you want i think as long as your not restricted by some conditions i think buoone has ever done that many, ive never heard of anyone doing ten, doubt anyone does. nine A1s is the most anyone has ever gotten and usually theres one ever year and im sorry but the quote above is utter bull... "some guy like 15 years ago" thats just some stupid urban myth in yur school, i'm sorry didnt happen.
    oh yeah and im doing 8 atm, might drop one or two if i hate them an might start applied maths

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

ruadhan wrote: »
    im sorry but the quote above is utter bull... "some guy like 15 years ago" thats just some stupid urban myth in yur school, i'm sorry didnt happen.

It's not bull,he did it to prove that the leaving cert wasnt as hard as it was made out to be.Why would the teachers lie? They were'nt having a laugh when they said it.Its not an urban myth,sorry to point out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

ruadhan wrote: »
    ive never heard of anyone doing ten, doubt anyone does.

:) Read the papers - look at the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

english, irish, maths, chemistry, geography, german, DCG and LCVP

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 WHirl7

english, irish, maths, german, music, physics, history, applied maths

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

8 fecking subjects: Irish, English, Maths, French, Home Ec., Biology, Business and L.C.V.P.. The latter of which isn't really a subject. I only took it to get out of P.E, and I still ended up having to do it:mad:

I'm doing nine, so glad I don't have to do Irish:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I do 9 subjects

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Art
    Construction
    Technology
    L.C.V.P
    Biology (i took it up this week =/ )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are some subject combinations that cannot be taken.
    Doing 12 subjects is ridiculous and sounds like looking for notice.

Advertisement