Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Norseman

• 27-10-2009 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭

Just got a place for this event 2010 I notice from the start list there are 3 other Irish taking part - anyone from the boards??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭hunkymonkey

Not doing it this year but have done it a few years ago. Beautiful location and well run race, although you are looking after yourself during it. If ya need any detailed info on it, let me know. Btw, expect to lose lots of weight when over in Norway, the price of food is unreal, a great place to go on a diet :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭ironmonkey

Cheers hunky - hoew did you do - get a black t?? Did you have previous IM experience and if so was it much of a step up?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

from what i've heard about it, it seems a pretty memorable race.... the swim start is in the dark off the back of this.....

norseman.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Black t-shirt people, black t-shirt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Read about this in last months Triathlon 220. Sounds like a gruelling event. The contributor did get his black t-shirt but cut it close on the run. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

I've given up on 220 way too much repitition and stuff that I'm not interested in. Really looking forward to this race though - the training has already started doing strength and core work over the winter and then build up the endurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

ironmonkey wrote: »
    I've given up on 220 way too much repitition and stuff that I'm not interested in. Really looking forward to this race though - the training has already started doing strength and core work over the winter and then build up the endurance.

Agreed. Don't buy 220 too often either as it can contain a lot of stuff I'm not interested in. I usually only buy a mag like that when going on hols - to read on the flight - or for the Kona preview (last edition) and the next one with reviews, etc from Kona. Other than that I don't usually buy tri, running or cycling mags.

What sort of strength and core work are you doing? How many times a week and for how long? Are you doing any sports specific strength work or is it all gym work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Cooooool... I must pencil this one in for the Future!

Hey PG - I'm doing some weight training, general cardio and thats about it Ill start stepping up the distances in the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭hunkymonkey

Hi Ironmonkey, was wondering where this thread went.
    A similar training plan to any im will get ya there. A mistake that a few people make is that because it ain't a flat course, then time doesn't matter. Therefore the training for the event doesn't have to be as 'intense' as a normal im i.e. doing it to complete rather than compete. This is why a lot of people struggle, they see the time limits and aim to get just inside them. The cold can also be a major problem, selecting the right gear, not too warm going uphill too cold going down. I had a great back up guy who knew what an event like this was all about. Bringing someone like a partner could end in tears, I've seen it happen on numerous occasions. Unless a partner is into im, I wouldn't even consider for an event like this because it is self supported.
    The bike course ain't that bad, hilly but v cold at times. The run is nice til mile 17, just get a couple IMRA stuff done and you'll be grand.
    Have a black t-shirt somewhere to prove i finished it.
    tunney wrote: »
    Black t-shirt people, black t-shirt :)

What colour was the finishers t-shirt in the im you did this year? Oh yeah, you didn't get one. T-shirt envy Mr. Tunney ;)

• Advertisement

Cheers hunky thanks for the tips. Totally agree with all points made and follows a lot of my thinking. I generally try and attack courses to the best of my ability - which isn't that great tbh! I don't see myself treating this any different I think a black t in just about within my ability but that could easily change with the weather etc. Gf has come with me on two IM trips so knows the score pretty well but i'm planning on having at least one more buddy with me who i can coach about the requirements.

I'm not that worried about the cold, i generally work reasonably well but if it's raining and cold I can see that being a big demoraliser. Anyway must stop talking and thinking about thjis stuff and start training! :rolleyes:

Advertisement