Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala to be released this Thursday 29th October

• 28-10-2009 12:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

Wahay a Linux forum! :D

So the latest Ubuntu Distro is coming on Thursday! Of course you can download the Release Candidate but Im going to hold off. Features that sound interesting to me (a not very technical user):
    • Re worked add/remove programs
    • ext4 as standard
    • Faster boot times/new splash screen
    • 2 second shutdown???

Due to the ext4 Ill be doing a full re-installation myself. Apparently just re mounting ext3 drives as ext4 doesn't do the whole business. So ill be backing up my /home partition and hopefully that will keep most of my settings. (?)

Its good that Windows 7 was only released last week as it will make comparisons of the two OS's very apt.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I've heard from a friend the shut down is ridiculous. He thought something had gone horribly wrong. Then it did it again, and he though, maybe this is a feature! Looking forward to it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 elix

I went to the bother of checking the pre-realese version a week back.
    it was a horrible experience from the start. it was if i booted up windows.
    I got the terrible feeling of "brand-lock-in" everything is ubuntu this and that. the new gdm which cannot be changed easily was a first irritation.

2 second shutdown? yeah, i flicked ubuntu off at the power socket. :)

Changed to Fedora. never going near that comercialized, brand orientated, brown/orange mess again.
    Ubuntu is an ancient african word, meaning "I can't configure Debian"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ubuntu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

This should be a milestone release, considering Windows 7 is stomping
    it's ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

2 second shutdown doesn't work for me either. Then again, there's a bug in the x64 version that causes the network manager to hang on shutdown, so I bypassed that with a quick workaround but still, sometimes I think it's frozen and am about to powerbutton it, when it finally decides ti kill itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Dartz wrote: »
    2 second shutdown doesn't work for me either. Then again, there's a bug in the x64 version that causes the network manager to hang on shutdown, so I bypassed that with a quick workaround but still, sometimes I think it's frozen and am about to powerbutton it, when it finally decides ti kill itself.
    Is that the jaunty "nm-system-settings: SCPlugin-ifupdown: devices removed" bug?
    What's the workaround?

A guy in the launchpad thread says to remove network-manager-gnome and network-manager to fix, but don't I need that?
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/357578

• Advertisement

So, bit of a n00b at this stuff, should I be able to update through the update manager now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Is that the jaunty "nm-system-settings: SCPlugin-ifupdown: devices removed" bug?
    What's the workaround?

A guy in the launchpad thread says to remove network-manager-gnome and network-manager to fix, but don't I need that?
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/357578

Might be it:

Easy fix
    The thread about it

That's the fix I used. Works fine now. Don't ask me exactly what's happening, I'm just a parrot user when it comes to these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Tried the beta last week an i'm excited (about mint 8 that is :D).....

firstly the wireless driver on my netbook took ages to configure to get it working correctly. Secondly enableing all the media codecs is a right pain. And it just didnt seem as polished as mint 7 (maybe that was the beta.....)

Advantages were the extremly quick boot up and shut down and an estimated 10-15% percent improvement in battery life.

Back on mint 7 at the minute and if they can implement the advantages in the new version, ill be very happy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Its now up on the Irish Heanet mirror.

x86: http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ubuntu-releases/releases/karmic/ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso

For other versions, such as AMD64 and torrents etc, here is the full directory of downloads: http://noncdn.releases.ubuntu.com//karmic/

690MB. Should really head into my uni to download it, but Im too impatient :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

elix wrote: »
    I went to the bother of checking the pre-realese version a week back.
    it was a horrible experience from the start. it was if i booted up windows.
    I got the terrible feeling of "brand-lock-in" everything is ubuntu this and that. the new gdm which cannot be changed easily was a first irritation.

2 second shutdown? yeah, i flicked ubuntu off at the power socket. :)

Changed to Fedora. never going near that comercialized, brand orientated, brown/orange mess again.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ubuntu

You seem cool.

newsletter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bios

Came home from work early to download this, can't wait!

Ubuntu 9.10: Epic fail.

:pac:

Just installed it for the second time, Grub2's not working at all. Doesnt even give me a list of OS's - just goes Error 15 and dies.

Just have to root out the Ubuntu 9.04 disk there now, install that and then upgrade to 9.10. Want to change to ext4 ye see.

So who was it that said it was Linux for Human Beings? I wouldnt mind if it was any other distro but given that Ubuntu's goal is to be easy to install and use, this sort of thing is not really on.

9.10 is awesome, loving it, don't know what elix was on about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

I think I might wait a little while for mint to tweak it then off we go on our karmic adventure with the koala :)

AND if Im feeling mad I might even upgrade the main computer from ibex
    yup sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Downloading now,hopefully this version will have better battery life and thats what made me uninstall jaunty.
    Considering that My studio came with ubuntu I was quite surprised at the poor battery life compared to windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Have it running now on an ancient laptop - Thinkpad X21, 392MB ram (:o), Pentium III (i think 600MHz)...Must be 10 years old I reckon, but it seems to run great (just using it as a web browser.

And my install method was daft, im amazed it worked :D I don't have any CD drive (that works with this machine), no floppy, it won't boot from USB, didn't have any working OS on the HDD, etc.

So I popped the drive (an old 2.5" IDE drive) into another laptop (totally different hardware, much newer), installed onto the drive, then pulled the drive and put it back into the Thinkpad. Booted fine first time, quite surprised.

Will replace it with Lubuntu if it ever gets off the ground, but for now im amazed it runs on such a crappy system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

I've just had to restart and boot in Win7 because upgrading to 9.10 has made my firefox go so damn slow and I don't know why...

It all looks very shiny, so on that front I'm impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I've just had to restart and boot in Win7 because upgrading to 9.10 has made my firefox go so damn slow and I don't know why...

It all looks very shiny, so on that front I'm impressed.
    Same issue. Think it is DNS related.
    I went into the network properties, changed from Automatic (DHCP) to Automatic (DHCP) Addresses only, and then put in my DNS servers manually (i use the openDNS ones), and it fixed it.

Bingo! Thanks a million!

Erased 9.10 and installed 9.04 and still getting the same Grub Error 15. This would be all very interesting if it werent for the fact I cant even load Windows. I dont know whats up at all...

• Advertisement

Did you try to fix grub before reinstalling 9.04?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

upgraded last on my eepC1000( UNR ), no props , the shut down 2 second blew me away .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Had the same dns issue this morning and so just wiped and installed Mint for the moment until the bugs are sorted.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

Erased 9.10 and installed 9.04 and still getting the same Grub Error 15. This would be all very interesting if it werent for the fact I cant even load Windows. I dont know whats up at all...

Did you make sure to check the disc for defects and the md5sum? I had an identical problem with the Beta a few weeks ago. Just made another copy (with a better quality disc) and it was fine.

Re-installed Kubuntu 9.10 yesterday, having been using it since the Beta release. As pretty as always and noticibly faster, both on boot & shutdown as well as general usage. My only gripe is that they still haven't sorted out the issues with the Firefox Download window. I still can't get files to open directly or the containing folder to open. Amarok under Kubuntu is fantastic for the automatic installation of codecs, something which is lacking in Ubuntu.

Installed Ubuntu 9.10 (32bit) on a Compaq NX9010 laptop, works like a charm. I also noticed that there seems to have been some changes made to the wireless drivers. My signal is much stronger than it has been recently. Here's hoping it stays that way!

The problem was reinstalling Grub. I erroneously assumed that the 9.04 disc would reinstall it for me automatically. A couple commands at the command line and it was fixed. Going to have a look around now :)

EDIT: Sound not working now...

EDIT 2: Perhaps if Cannical spent less time getting a 10 second boot and more time producing an OS that works properly for everyone we might be happier. 8.04, 8.10 and 9.04 all picked up my speakers no problem, but now 9.10 wont. And from Googling a bit its not an isolated incident. Tell me this: how can I in good fate recommend Ubuntu to anyone after the previous 24 hours? The only reason I'm still trying is because I'm persistent and am able to do technical tasks. Most people cannot.

EDIT 3: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1304710 - fixed

When I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 my sound wasnt working. This was because I had kept the old menu.lst which meant that the old kernel was loading and not the new one. If your having this problem perhaps editing your menu.lst will help:

Old menu.lst:
    title		Ubuntu
    uuid		bd702baa-16c1-4d47-aab9-a17bb3f00c09
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.[B]28-11[/B]-generic root=UUID=bd702baa-16c1-4d47-aab9-a17bb3f00c09 ro quiet splash 
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.[B]28-11[/B]-generic
    quiet

New menu.lst:
    title		Ubuntu
    uuid		bd702baa-16c1-4d47-aab9-a17bb3f00c09
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.[B]31-14[/B]-generic root=UUID=bd702baa-16c1-4d47-aab9-a17bb3f00c09 ro quiet splash 
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
    quiet

Apologies if my rants above annoyed ye. I still stand by what I said because in the first instance I did a standard install and grub didn't work and in the second instance keeping the old menu.lst was the default option given, which was the root of the sound problem. Getting this far wasn't fun.

EDIT: Ubuntu One not working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Ubuntu One has a patch available just update after install. Still on 9.04 here, waiting to update as this is my production machine and don't want to have the slow DNS issues I had with the test machine on this.

MC

Installed yesterday and wiped the drive today.
    Graphics and video are very slow and the overall performance was poor.

I don't know why its so slow 9.04 was lighting fast,over on the ubuntu forums there are
    alot of threads on problems with installs,video/graphics and all the other problems associated with new installs.

I'll wait a few weeks and wait for the updates to be rolled out and install again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

Did you install the graphics driver? It's needed to enable (good) acceleration.

Anyone else having problems with gpg keys when doing apt-get updates? It seems that keyserver.ubuntu.com is down so I can't add/remove repositories thus no updates...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Takes ages for it to boot up!

I dont know if my boot time has decreased, if it has then only be a little. Obviously the shutdown time has.

Overall Im not finding it as responsive as 9.04, but Im going to hold off for a few weeks before making full judgments.

Boots quickly over here. I wish kernel compilation was easier under Ubuntu though.

Ruu wrote: »
    Takes ages for it to boot up!

How many services do you have enabled?
    Xubuntu is a good one if you want less ram usage.

Mine takes about 35 seconds to boot with most daemons
    disabled cept for NTP, HAL, ect. Recompiling the kernel isn't
    needed as Ubuntu should detect most of your hardware by default.

One thing I have noticed, is that the latest version of Ubuntu is
    a bit more resource hungry than earlier versions. As long as you
    are not swapping pages out to disk, you are fine.

I haven't the foggiest idea (where do I check?), I have just started using Ubuntu and upgraded from Jaunty. I can't get it to shutdown properly (I/O loop error), suppose I'll have to *sigh* reinstall! :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

Had the same dns issue this morning and so just wiped and installed Mint for the moment until the bugs are sorted.

MC

I had the same problem and I found a solution that works for firefox,
    "Switching off IPv6 dns support in firefox "fixes" the problem.
    Open up Firefox and type in 'about:config' in the address bar
    Scroll down to "network.dns.disableIPv6", it's defaulted to a value of false,
    change it to true."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

I haven't the foggiest idea (where do I check?), I have just started using Ubuntu and upgraded from Jaunty. I can't get it to shutdown properly (I/O loop error), suppose I'll have to *sigh* reinstall! :/

Updated from 9.04 to 9.10 to dual boot on both a winxp desktop and a vista laptop. Had the same shutdown error on both (i/o loop error) so I uninstalled. Pity - I liked it.

Give the steps below a shot Ruu. The first one is the best if you are stuck for time.
    Don't disable gdm, or it will dump you to the command line on reboot.

Just look for uneeded stuff like dhcp if your net connection is static ect.
    Not sure about the I/O loop error. Are you using 'ext4' as a filesystem?

Maybe a reinstall might fix it, but I am not sure because I have never
    encountered that error before. Strange all the same. Ram usage won't drop too much.

Linky

Thanks for the info, I still couldn't get it to shutdown properly. I also had issues with suspend as well so I gave up and went back to Jaunty. All is well again, thanks.

Thanks for the info, I still couldn't get it to shutdown properly. I also had issues with suspend as well so I gave up and went back to Jaunty. All is well again, thanks.

No problem. Seems there are some bugs in 9.10 that need to
    be ironed out...

Naikon wrote: »
    No problem. Seems there are some bugs in 9.10 that need to
    be ironed out...

They aren't going to be ironed out unless you provide bug reports! Just saying. :)

• Advertisement

Mathiasb wrote: »
    Did you install the graphics driver? It's needed to enable (good) acceleration.

Anyone else having problems with gpg keys when doing apt-get updates? It seems that keyserver.ubuntu.com is down so I can't add/remove repositories thus no updates...

I did enable it,first thing I usually do is the wireless card and then the graphics card but it was worse when I enabled it:confused:.

There are loads of threads about the gpg keys again this release seems to have been rushed and not properly beta'd.

Rebel021 wrote: »
    I did enable it,first thing I usually do is the wireless card and then the graphics card but it was worse when I enabled it:confused:.

There are loads of threads about the gpg keys again this release seems to have been rushed and not properly beta'd.

If you'd like to solve the problem I suggest you post a new thread (possibly over at Ubuntuforums) with detailed information about the problem and your hardware/drivers used.

I don't think that this release has been "rushed", the Ubuntu team have schedules (see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicReleaseSchedule for example) that include dedicated time for testing. Hopefully it's just an overloaded keyserver, I suppose it will solve itself over the next week or so. :)

No need,I'm watching a few threads where the systems are near spec as mine who have the same problems as myself.

I'll use it as a live usb untill a time when its been resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Just upgraded the laptop. Went flawlessly. It's xubuntu. Looks nicer. Slick login sequence. Very nice "don't show this again" feature on popups. Couldn't be happier with my 5 clicks of the mouse. :)

Was going through Nautilus selecting files when Ubuntu froze! Its only the second time in 7 months Ubuntu has fully frozen on me. In about 10 seconds it unfroze and I got a message detailing error. I said to send error report. It replied "Could not file error report: your version of Nautilus is out of date, please upgrade these packages: ..." Went to Update Manager and voila - the packages had been changed since yesterday so I downloaded them.

Well impressed. Moral of the story is to always to send error reports, as they may give you the reason for the error. I had become so disenchanted with Windows' error reporting I didnt think anything would happen.

Silly me for applying Windows crappy standards to Ubuntu :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Just installed it on my aunts laptop alongside Vista.
    I tried Mint Gloria but the sound didn't work (eMachines G620), it did work after a kernel upgrade or something but then that broke the nVidia driver...
    Anyway 9.10 wasn't as snappy boot as I expected even on ext4, and it was annoying tracking down the libdvdcss2 package for DVD playback and some other stuff (new Grub stuff), but I hope it works ok for her.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I upgraded the laptop last night (Xubuntu 9.10). EVerythign went smoothly but I haven't had time to test yet. One thing I didn't see was if the installer upgraded the filesystem but I'm assuming it hasn't, and didn't propose it. Does a drive need to eb reformated to change file system? I'm not bothere either way; I don't understand what ext4 will improve for normal users.

I must admit Im not really impressed that you cant edit the Login screen anymore. I used to have a really nice login screen. It seems to be going down the road of universal branding.

I must admit Im not really impressed that you cant edit the Login screen anymore. I used to have a really nice login screen. It seems to be going down the road of universal branding.

That's because of GDM 2.28. Costumization will come in future versions. (this is a Gnome "problem", not Ubuntu)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sound was all messed up for me again with this release. My VIA soundchip has never once been properly recognised and configured and the previous fix (editing modules.conf in /etc) is no longer valid, so I had to jump through quite a lot of hoops to fix it (installed a .deb of OpenOSS eventually).

I can't say I'm surprised, but once again Ubuntu has released a shoddy update with serious and wide-reaching issues that will turn off as many new users as it will endear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement