Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala to be released this Thursday 29th October

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I think the release cycle should be slowed down. I know its co-ordinated with other projects such as Gnome, but in reality I would prefer one good release every 12 months, to a "shoddy" (to steal pickarooneys adjective) release every 6.

As I said on this thread I actually couldnt install 9.10, I had to root out my old 9.04 cd, install that and then upgrade to 9.10. Apparently GRUB2 and ext4 arent that compatible. And Ive has other problems since. pulseaudio has a memory leak issue (I dont know if this is Ubuntu 9.10 specific) that is liable to start gobbling your RAM.

If this were another distro Id be inclined to say, well its is Linux and community based and free so you cant complain. However Ubuntu markets itself as the easy to use "Linux for Human Beings" distro. If I want bleeding edge ill go somewhere else. What I want in Ubuntu is a reliable OS that I can let my family use without worrying it will mess up, while I can go off and have fun with Debian. And I think its worth doubling the release timeframe to achieve this.

In the past 2 weeks and for the first time Ive actually helped people get Ubuntu set up. However I didnt tell them to download 9.10: go for 9.04 i said, and then upgrade. Otherwise they'd have hit the Ubuntu site, seen all the 9.10 flashy imagery, and gone for it, thinking this the apparent flagship product of "Linux for Human Beings". But in my experience 9.10 was a bit rushed. And as I said, Ubuntu is not supposed to be a bleeding edge distro, so why the franticness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

They have a new update the other day and it wiped the gui from my system.
    Couldn't login and had to reinstall ati drivers (crap crap crap rubbish drivers )from recovery
    terminal to get the gui back which took hours of searching and found a fix from 8.04.

It just seems to be problem after problem with karmic,I am seriously thinking of going back to 8.10 when everything worked for me,since jaunty I have had serious lag in the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 elix

I had the same graphics driver problems with jaunty (and nvidia's non-free driver) - every kernel update or so the driver will be uninstalled, ie. not automagically compiling a module for the kernel. It seems to happen regular when the kernel is updated but the driver package for that kernel realese isnt available at the same time as the update. It happened so much so that i got well versed in the nvidia driver installation from a 'black screen' boot.
    My partner still uses the LTS version.. 8.10? he hasnt had much problems with it other than the somewhat dated packages and with a Intel graphics chip, you cant really go wrong. Jaunty wouldnt work with his sound tho.
    I tried karmic, didnt like its whole brand intensiveness , which further adds to the confusion to new linux users in the difference between ubuntu and other distributions... yes there are other (better) ones!
    I immediately switched to fedora (Debian lenny was too dated, and squeeze just not reliable)

For those with the whole wtf GDM theme thing, apparently its real easy to change it around. You can basically treat the GDM as another "desktop" session for the user gdm. so su the gconf editor with the user gdm and change the key value pairs for background, gtk theme and the icon. There is a tut on the net somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

hmm, upgraded a couple of weeks back and only noticed now that I've ended up with this bug. Streaming video etc. worked fine, but playback in any other video player had red and blue channels switched. Didn't matter if I was using xine, mplayer etc, they were all the same.

Turns out it's a Totem bug where the hue option is set incorrectly when upgrading. It's a bit odd that it affected all players as it should really be app specific, and that the bug was reported in Sept and nothing done about it, but meh, at least it was easy to fix.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I've gone back to windows til Karmic settles down, I wouldn't mind, but I'm at a really important stage in college, and I just can't afford for things to go wrong. Plus Karmic's start up time is poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

damn karmic koala !!
    cant get my interwebs on my desktop working at all, it connects to my wireless network no problem, but it wont dl any updates or connect to any webpages, i am able ping boards.ie
    any ideas ? 9.04 worked without any problems, straight out of the box,

i have 9.10 also running on my laptop without any issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

cool, cheers ill check it out this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Hate to say it lads, but I am back to Debian Lenny/Slackware and very happy:pac:
    Grub2 is a bit too early for use on my Workstations/Servers.

It will mature with time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Just migrated from 9.04 today. Looking good, but my feckin docks (Cairo Dock or AWN) won't work now :mad:

lads still having problem with karmic internet on desktop
    i have manually entered dns as previously mentioned, still no joy ?

why does it work on my laptop and not desktop, both share same router for wireless

screencap

http://i36.tinypic.com/2r3zath.png

any help mucho apreciated !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

BOBBY wrote: »
    lads still having problem with karmic internet on desktop
    i have manually entered dns as previously mentioned, still no joy ?

why does it work on my laptop and not desktop, both share same router for wireless

screencap

http://i36.tinypic.com/2r3zath.png

any help mucho apreciated !

What does /etc/resolv.conf look like?

Try this:
    # This is /etc/resolv.conf
    nameserver 208.67.222.222
    nameserver 208.67.220.220

hey,
    still having problems :-(

http://i37.tinypic.com/30m05e9.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

BOBBY wrote: »
    hey,
    still having problems :-(

http://i37.tinypic.com/30m05e9.png

Can you ping the DNS servers? What's the output of the route command?

E.g. route -v

whats the command for that, not one for the terminal me, n00b an all

thanks for your time

i had similar problem in sabayon 5.0 there a couple of weeks back, but what you said to do a few posts back worked, so im stumped as to why its not working now in ubuntu, if i could update maybe it has been fixed since /
    tried to update via term but it just hangs

• Advertisement

I made the long overdue downgrade to Ubuntu 9.04 this morning.

Ubuntu 9.10 caused me too many problems, and wasnt offering me the same positive experience 9.04 had. Minor problems like not being able to change the cursors. I found 9.10 to be less responsive and slower on the boot up (about double the time of 9.04). This was one of the key reasons I made the permanent move from Windows initially. When using 9.10 with a number of different programs open, namely Firefox and Inkscape, I found the processor usage going to outrageous levels, and the OS running out of RAM. I had never gone into swap space before the upgrade.

Anyone else moved back down to 9.04 from 9.10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Quite the opposite, I'm running 9.10 Netbook Remix on a Dell mini10 with Atom cpu and 1GB ram and can't believe how fast it is, boots in 30-35secs

Thats interesting indeed, because Im also running 1gb of RAM.

Im not dismissive though so Im going to (for the moment) attribute the poor performance to the method of install. Grub2 wasnt working with ext4 on my computer so I actually had to install 9.04, and then upgrade. Perhaps at a later date I will try to fresh reinstall 9.10 and see how that goes.

Incidentally, having a separate /home partition made downgrading a dream. Once I pointed 9.04 to the 9.10 home partition and rebooted, everything worked lovely and most of my settings carried through, with the notable exception of my server stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The upgrade may be the problem, I've had loads of problems any time I've tried the distro upgrade and have always ended up doing a fresh install

Advertisement