Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saturday Night Special

• 28-10-2009 12:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got a wedding anniversary coming up this Saturday and would like to spend the night away somewhere within a 45 minute drive of South Dublin, preferably a nice town on the coast where we can have a stroll by the sea, a few drinks, a nice dinner, a few more drinks strolling around the town and then back to a decent room in a nice hotel.

Ideally Sunday morning would be a dip in their pool and/or sauna folled by a good old fashioned breakfast followed by another walk by the sea to clear the heads and back to Dublin for 1pm.

Looking to get the best value I can hotel wise. If I can find the right hotel deal I'm sure the rest will fall into place.

Any ideas anyone???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

One option is to head for Wicklow town and the Grand Hotel (http://www.grandhotel.ie) and dinner somewhere like the Square Steakhouse (http://www.steakhousewicklow.com).

I've never been to Wicklow Town so don't know whether it would be a good spot for what I want to do. Can anyone comment? Not having been there before is actually a good reason to go there but I'd like a heads up first that a) the Grand Hotel is a good place to stay, b) the steakhouse is a nice place to eat (other suggestions welcome) and c) there are some nice pubs and a good area to stroll along the seafront.

I don't mind taking a chance but I REALLY hate tourist trap hotels and restaurants which promise a lot and deliver little.

Regards,

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wicklow town would be a good option. I've been there a few times.
    Long nice beach, nice restaurants and pubs.

Thanks Biko, appreciate the input.

Don't suppose you have an opinion on the Grand Hotel or can recommend a good restaurant for a special dinner?

The pubs we'll fugure out ourselves :)

Biko,

I just looked up the Grand Hotel on Tripadvisor and every single reviewer has given it a terrible rating. Crap service, noisy rooms etc etc. I've never seen a review as bad as this before. Not one person would go back!!

On Menupages.ie the Square Steakhouse and Jamun Indian restaurants get good reviews so one of them will do for dinner and Halpins Bridge Cafe looks like the ideal spot for breaskfast Sunday morning.

The only issue I have is with the Grand Hotel. Is there anywhere else worth staying in in the town? I really don't want to stay outside the town as we like to stroll around and walk back to the hotel whenever it suits us.

Ben

Advertisement