Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dropping out?

Options
  • 28-10-2009 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

hey guys how would someone go about dropping out? and if so would they be able to come back next year through internal transfer or is it through the cao?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

It's internal transfer, not through the CAO. If you are intent on transferring, I'd recommend getting out as fast as possible, in the hopes that you won't have to pay full fees next year! What are you transferring to and from, and do you meet the entry requirements of the new programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You should fill out an exit form (that would be this) and return it to Student Academic Administration.

Ideally you should have a chat with your academic advisor, course leader or year leader before filling it out.

If you return next year, you will be liable for some fees then that you didn't have to pay this year. Odds are good that it will be half fees for the year 9about 3000) but you'll get that detail from the fees office or SAA.

As for reapplying next year you can apply as an internal transfer. That means dealing with a Student Status Committee but also get that detail from SAA.

Alternatively you can apply through the CAO for a different course at UL or any other Irish college. Using that method you run the same risk as your initial year of not having the required points. Internal transfer is probably easier and will save you the few quid for the CAO application. Having that chat with your academic advisor, course leader or year leader should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

sceptre wrote: »
    Alternatively you can apply through the CAO for a different course at UL or any other Irish college. Using that method you run the same risk as your initial year of not having the required points. Internal transfer is probably easier and will save you the few quid for the CAO application. Having that chat with your academic advisor, course leader or year leader should help.

Just on this point, I started here in Engineering (01 ID number), but failed quite spectacularly!! Wanted to do Business instead, so I contacted Student Services, and they told me to apply through the CAO. Then the CAO got in touch saying that because I was already a student in UL I couldn't apply though them, only through internal transfer... Have times changed since then??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Have times changed since then??
    No idea. Haven't dealt with the CAO since before they went computerised.

However, I know people who have reapplied using either or both routes though in the past two or three years. The current CAO handbook advises a direct application for readmission to UL, MICE and TCD but based on second-degree anecdote they appear a bit confused about it when it comes to application time. As do UL. Preference should still be to apply through internal transfer/student status committee route but that's why I suggested a chat with the academic advisor, course leader or year leader. What they advise can be acted upon (or more to the point, the college is responsible for what they directly advise on the basis of an exit interview, <cof>). Information on reapplication will be provided at that time by either the person conducting the chat or SAA and that advice can also be acted upon (in a casual and legal sense in case there's any confusion later).

So to answer your question, I don't really know:) I only know what people have managed to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 FootnMouth

hey guys how would someone go about dropping out? and if so would they be able to come back next year through internal transfer or is it through the cao?
    I know its a bit later after your orginal question but forgive me! However, I would suggest you speak to the education officer as she would be able to best advise you!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

sceptre wrote: »
    No idea. Haven't dealt with the CAO since before they went computerised.

:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

I'd take my hat off to you sir..... but we have stopped wearing them since the CAO went computerised :D:D:D

On Topic:-

You will have to fill in this form http://www.mic.ul.ie/studentservices/InternalTransfer.pdf

Take it to Student Services (SAA).

Then they will contact you with the next steps.

Pointers before switching:-

1) Talk to your student advisor they may be able to help.
    2) Think about why your transferring.... is it because you think you are going to fail (you may not), you don't like some of the lectuers (they will change) or you just don't like the course.
    3) What do want to transfer to. Make sure you do your research on the course your transfering to otherwise you may end up in the same situation this time next year.
    4) You will have to pay fees next year if you transfer (Prob. just for half of year 1 as that is all you have completed).

With regard to the CAO/Not CAO Question below.

An internal transfer is put in front of the Student Status Commitee and they decide whether you get your internal transfer or not. Usually they do though.

If not you will be referred to the CAO and you can re-aply there, but bear in mind you can apply to any University but you also have the points competition thing again.

I Just gave a brief description of what happens for more info https://www2.ul.ie/pdf/388196739.pdf

Good Luck with your choice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MOLLIE2

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

I have been through this, left a course at xmas, and came back into a new course the following September.

Here's how it works:
    1. Talk to either your student advisor OR someone involved with the course you want to move into.
    2. Apply for an Internal Transfer via Academic Admin.
    3. Student status committee meetings are in the first 2 weeks of next semester, you will get called to one of them to meet the heads of the department you want to transfer into.
    4. As long as you meet the minimum entry requirements of the course (as listed on both the UL or CAO website), you will get generally get accepted no problem.
    5. You will have to fill out an EXIT FORM, available from academic admin.
    6. During the summer, you have to apply for RE-ADMISSION into the course you wish to take up.
    7. Stay in contact with a member of staff from the new course, eg. course director.
    8. Meet the Status committee again in September, and start a new life, with your bank account minus €3000 in Fees.

Hope that helps you. I've been through it. Had no problems at all, and have no regrets.

hi thanks for your reply just two quick questions will i need the points for the course i want to go into or is it just the grade requirements ? and another thing is would i have to sit and pass my Christmas exams? thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Hi Im in second year and I want to change to a course not similar to my own, is it possible to transfer internally into 1st year or do it next year? any reply would be greatly appreciated

qwerty93 wrote: »
    Hi Im in second year and I want to change to a course not similar to my own, is it possible to transfer internally into 1st year or do it next year? any reply would be greatly appreciated

It all depends on the points you have and the points the other course is, it also depends on your grades in the current course. If you drop out now you may be liable for 3 semesters of fees. For the internal transfer you might have to go through the student status committee best bet is to call into the education officer in the SU straight away and talk to him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

It all depends on the points you have and the points the other course is, it also depends on your grades in the current course. If you drop out now you may be liable for 3 semesters of fees. For the internal transfer you might have to go through the student status committee best bet is to call into the education officer in the SU straight away and talk to him!

Thank you TEMPLAR, i will look into it straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

In third year and dropping out or deferring. If I drop out now am i liable for 5 semesters of fees if i change course.

On deferring will I have to pay full fees next year or 2750?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Drained_Empty

Rarely worth your while to drop out in year 3 unless you have zero chance of completing the course. Yes you are liable for full fees.

Advertisement