Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No More Atlantic Homecare...

Options
  • 28-10-2009 2:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

...because it's changing into a Woodies store this Friday. So now we've two Woodies a ten minute walk from one another...though I always hated the Retail park one, so horribly cramped. Was in there one day and had to backtrack down an aisle simply because another customer was walking towards me, and we couldn't both fit - can't begin to fathom how it works when they're really busy. Anyway, Sudden death for B&Q and Woodies now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Why do you say sudden death? Woodies and Atlantic have been the same company for well over a year. Stock, pricing, etc has all been the exact same. Even their ads in the Advertiser are the exact same bar a swap-out for the store name.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 m.anna

Woodie and Atlantic Homecare have same owner. The are called Atlantic Homecare / Woodies DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

I'm sooooooooooooo happy I don't work there anymore. No horrid green uniform! It was obvious it was gonna happen. Kind of a shame though, a lot of people preferred Atlantic despite the fact they are owned by the same company!

They have been part of the same company for a while now.
    Heiton Holdings which owned Atlantic Homecare, Buckley building supplies and SAM hire was bought out by Grafton group which owned Woodies.

Grafton has some big operations in the UK - 400 odd shops with a bit over 100 in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

So now we've two Woodies a ten minute walk from one another....

I wonder how long it will be before one of them closes. How can it make financial sense to have two stores so close to one another offering virtually identical product ranges?

Come to think of it, PC World and Currys are in the same boat but there's not quite as much overlap in what they sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Is there an echo in here or was my post not succinct enough? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The long term plan is to change everything over to Woodies, just wasn't possible before now. They wanted Atlantic as a Woodies store ever since they bought Heiton out.

Advertisement