Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Component 4R7

• 28-10-2009 3:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi all,

am looking for a PS3 inductor, which can be found on the pcb for the blu ray drive. It is cylindrical in shape, it's blue and has a marking that says 4R7. The one on my board is shot and I cant find a replacement. I know the a lot of these boards fail and people lift the driver IC off it and place it on a new board they buy so that there drive can wor with the new board, so im thinkin there has to be a few shagged boards around that I could lift this off.

I cant justify paying out 30 bucks to lift this off a replacement pcb. If anyone has a dead board laying about I would be gratefull on a reply to this and pay for the component and shipping costs, thanks a lot.

C|F

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is this the bit your talking about? Im currently in the midst of doing a blu-ray lens change on my PS3 due to it not reading blu-rays. Ill be ordering a replacement today....

What did you mean about swapping an IC from the original board onto the new one? Will I still need my R47 when the new part arrives? If not your welcome to my one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Dont hold me this but doesnt 4R7 mean its a 4.7ohm resistor? Do you have a multimeter to test enternow ?

Tried with a multi there but cant get a reading, it measures then drops to zero....

what setting do you have the multimeter set to?

Tried them all, (Resistance settings that is). Tried measuring with poles reversed etc....I could be doing something wrong though. Maybe it wont read while the component is still on the board, Im nearly sure Ive seen that once or twice before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Cold|Fusion

hi guys,

thanks for the reponses. EnterNow, no mate, you will need your blu-ray pcb, the guy that ordered his lense tried to put it in and damaged the inductor.

witnessmenow, you are 100% correct, that is the value of the components resistance, but since it is a magnetic ferrite winding, the inductance would be measured in MilliHenries. Heres the problem, my one is damaged, and it is not possible to get an accurate read on the component in circuit.

You would, at best have to detach one leg of the inductor, or break the line by lifting a component before the inductor.

There is such a meter at GMIT, as I spoke to one of my lecturers about it today.
    It's possible to get another inductor of the same resistance, but impossible to know the inductance of the coil. I am unable to find a data sheet on this particular component.

EnterNow, beware when ordering your replacement laser, there are bad lasers that die real fast, or dont work at all, these have a white clip, the good ones have a brown clip.

I use this guy every time, guranteed correct lasers with brown clip.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/PLAYSTATION-3-BLU-RAY-LASER-KES-400A-FIX-FAULTY-PS3-UK_W0QQitemZ310175838502QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN?hash=item4837ebb126

here is a pic of good and bad lasers.
    PS3GoodlaserBadLaser.jpg

This is the only info I have found on the inductor.

http://www2.electronicproducts.com/Sony_Playstation_3-whatsinside_text-10.aspx

Just do edit>find and enter R47 on your browser at that link, it will show all info on that part.

Thanks a lot for your replies, appreciate it. If anyone can find a suitable replacement, please do let me know. Cheers.

C|F

Thanks for that info coldfusion, unfortunately Ive already ordered, but hopefully its a brown clip replacement I get. Ill note your supplier down incase I have to re-order.

Regarding that component, it sounds like its tech specs are way over my head, and finding a suitable replacement candidate looks like a rough challenge. Would I be right in thinking that the drives pcb is paired to the PS3 itself? Rendering a donor pcb unviable?

that seller is a dick....

He also trades under couple of different names, here is one example

that seller is a dick....

He also trades under couple of different names, here is one example

Wont be going near him after reading that. Thanks for the heads-up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Cold|Fusion

I have bought 3 lasers from that seller so far and thankfully all have been fine, I bought one from a different guy before and it was a dud (white clip). So stuck with this guy, will continue to do so. Sorry to hear about that witnessmenow.

I noticed you bought a PS3 laser from him also, as it said in that thread, but you said it only cost €40, that was reallly cheap, considering that was a few years back, and they are now averaging between 60 and 70 euro. Just really surprised it was that cheap as I could never locate one for that price, maybe if buyong from China, but the likelihood is it would be a white clipped laser then.

C|F

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

hey CF, I found old laptop mobo with three coils with 4r7 on them. they look almost exactly the same. pm if you want them

Advertisement