Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[C&C] I make baby cry

• 28-10-2009 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

I was serious about preferring unconventional portraits!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Love the first one - he's on the precipice of letting it all out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

lol..that gave us a laugh at work...

what exactly did you do to get him crying? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

aw she's so cute with the dimple in her chin.

have to say No.1 is my fav.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Number 1 for me too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The kid is really good.

The Background is very distracting, even with it being out of focus the highlight to the left draws the eye to it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

i love the first one,

but agree the background is distracting,

the little fella's fierce cute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I'm going to buck the trend here and register my outrage ! Making babies cry for photo opportunities ! For shame ! I mean, if Jill Greenberg gets stick for it, I don't know why we're excusing Fenster !

On a more relevant note though, I'd agree with CabanSail about the background. Those little eyes all brimming over with tears though. Awww !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Berkut wrote: »
    lol..that gave us a laugh at work...

what exactly did you do to get him crying? :D

When she looks at me, her face just screws up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Fenster wrote: »

Do you still have your dodgy terrorist look about you, that might explain why?? ;):p:D

Like the shots mate!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

no, no, no, no, no....... Look I guess you could say I don't like em at all. It hasn't been that long since my young uns were that small (actually it has been a little while) but as a parent rather than a photographer I would be horrified if this were a paid shoot that the photographer came back to me with. But that perhaps is just me. I'm in the 'happy smiling perhaps even cheeky expressions on kids make great kids portraits' camp. These just wouldn't float the boat i'm afraid. Sorry but I don't even think it's a genre thing. I'm just so not there with it I'm wondering if its me. Bah..... Sorry.

Do you still have your dodgy terrorist look about you, that might explain why?? ;):p:D

Like the shots mate!!

Three guesss. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Three guesss. :p

Yes, No, Spain!

Dont like these at all and as a parent of a child around this age can see no reason why one would want to take these pictures and then process them in the way you have!

Yes, No, Spain!

Dont like these at all and as a parent of a child around this age can see no reason why one would want to take these pictures and then process them in the way you have!

Why? Because.

Because imagining the look on the face of affronted parents is delicious.

Because I want more than stupid, bland, smiling studio photos of my children.

Because I don't believe that every photo can be, or should be a happy one.

Because out of the hundreds and thousands of child photographers, I want to stand out and be different.

Because I can.

Potential Customers?

Stupid Bland Crying photos are much better?

Either do I but I am not going to buy one that makes me sad

Because out of the hundreds and thousands of child photographers, I want to stand out and be different.
    Oh you are!

Because I can.
    Course you can but we dont have to like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I for one commend you for trying something different. I'm not overly fond of the particular photos you posted, but I can see what you're trying. And bravo I say. (Not bravo, you made a baby cry! Bravo, you have the balls to be different)

Sure, a lot of people wont like it. Who cares. If we all followed the standard then photographry would never progress in my honest opinion.

Potential Customers?

Stupid Bland Crying photos are much better?

Oh you are!

Because I can.
    Course you can but we dont have to like it

Excellent rebuttals, but I still stand by my justifications!

I will say that in this case, the mum was in on it (she was holding the baby).

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

I quite like the unique take on portrait worthy facial expressions. I don't see the problem with including these types of shots, as options for parents from the product of a paid for session, if:

- You haven't purposely made the baby cry
    - Not all of the shots are of the baby unhappy.

If the parents don't like it, it doesn't get included in the final set.

If they do like it, you may have offered them a freeze-frame of the baby that not many other photographers would have done. Who knows that may perfectly sum up the personality of the baby, that look of imminent waterworks ready to strike at any minute.

However in relation to the 3 photos above, I find the backgrounds very distracting (in particular the blow out on the left). Keep trying though!

I don't believe that every photo can be, or should be a happy one.

This doesn't make me sad. It makes me go awww look that's so cute. If I was handed this shot with the happy smiley ones I'd pick this one 'cause it's different, and in future years I could do the 'lets pull out the photo album'.

trishw78 wrote: »
    This doesn't make me sad. It makes me go awww look that's so cute. If I was handed this shot with the happy smiley ones I'd pick this one 'cause it's different, and in future years I could do the 'lets pull out the photo album'.

I did not say it made me sad I said I would not buy a picture that made me sad, If it were my child and a Pro Photographer took it I would not buy it and either would the vast majority of parents out there (not in here).

• Advertisement

you are intittled to your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I reckon you showed her those pictures from the African wedding..:p

I love em though..:) especially no 3...a

I am and you are entitled to yours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Oh come ONNN, It's friday afternoon, I want some more venom ! DK isn't intittled (sic) to his opinion, his opinion is plain WRONG ! I'm completely with Julesies' measured take on the situation. OTOH if you actually MADE that poor wee mite cry then I'm afraid it may just be time to get all Greenberg on you. So out with it Fenster ... was it a coincidence ? Or something more sinister ?

Greenberg

Now that's old school much prefer Tombstone.

He is entittled. even if it's wrong. I do think people out there where that is would much prefer something different thrown into the mix.
    It's friday afternoon, I want some more venom !
    & the fire alarm has been going off for the past hour, with no fire insight, I think it's some form of Chinese torture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i think they're quite good!! did ya pinch her or what? :)

well i suppose they'd be different hanging on the wall ok.
    not all kid photographs have to be absolutely happy smiley portraits either.
    i've a good few roaring crying ones and some not so happy ones as well, but thats all part of their lives too.

2643853742_dbf7a6b780.jpg

peace

:)

Advertisement