Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

static or dynamic?

• 28-10-2009 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I'm planning to revamp my site at the moment and considering using flash in the banners to get an effect like on this site . . .

http://www.concrawood.ie/

That said, I've always heard that static sites are better for been crawled by Google etc and you should stay away from dynamic.

Is this still true??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

flash won't be indexed as well as (x)html. It's nothing to do with dynamic or static, I think you're confusing the terms. Dynamic doesn't mean that it's animated, it means that the pages are dynamically generated, like when you use a cms. Static means it's all hard coded. If coded correctly either are highly visible to google.

A little flash in headings is fine, as long as your content isn't contained inside a flash movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

yep, I was getting them confused there :)

I built my site in Dreamweaver, so I should be ok right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

It's not build in flash, so you're ok for not using flash, coding it correctly is also very important, make sure content & presentation are separated, using an external stylesheet, and use divs to code

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

Honestly - Coding really isn't an issue unless it breaks and you can't parse the code for text.

Flash can be indexed if the text can be OCR'd. Flash just tends to be low in text. Flash is good for users and be accompanied by text.

Dynamic data can be good and bad. If your page keeps changing it's content, then its SERP's (what search phrases it ranks for and where) may change as it may no longer be relevant.

For example, if your page changes each week. Week 1 - its about ducks and ranks #1 for "ducks Ireland" but in week 2 its about tractors, then you would expect (if you changed the page) that it would no longer be relevant but most sites dont change that often.

As always, there are lots of variables and tons of b.s. Check out some experts and talk to them. Remember, just because they say they are, doesn't mean they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

Thats the case for flash websites. Anyone who wants to get ranked with flash websites have to do alot more link building (as in loads and loads) than a normal text webpage. Search engines love text and look for this when they rank sites.

• Advertisement
Advertisement