Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillbillies chicken / kfc

Options
  • 28-10-2009 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Does anyone know what the gravy they use is made from? I presume not veggie but some of my friends reckon it is... Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

You might want to post this in Food in Drink. Regulars of this forum might not know about KFC...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cushla

Ok, thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/pdf/kfc_ingredients_july11.pdf
    Gravy
    Food Starch-Modified, Maltodextrin, Enriched Wheat Flour (Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Chicken Fat, Wheat Flour, Salt, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Monosodium Glutamate, Dextrose, Palm And Canola Oils, Mono and Diglycerides, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Natural and Artificial Flavor (With Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Milk), Caramel Color (Treated With Sulfiting Agents), Onion Powder, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Spice, Spice Extractives, With Not More Than 2% Silicon Dioxide Added As An Anti-caking Agent.

Check out this list for just one item, though theres a good few "ORs" in there.
    Chicken Pot Pie
    Chicken Stock, Potatoes (With Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate To Protect Color), Carrots, Peas, Heavy Cream, Modified Food Starch, Contains 2% Or Less Of Wheat Flour, Salt, Chicken Fat, Dried Dairy Blend (Whey, Calcium Caseinate), Butter (Cream, Salt), Natural Chicken Flavor With Other Natural Flavors (Salt, Natural Flavoring, Maltodextrin, Whey Powder, Nonfat Dry Milk, Chicken Fat, Ascorbic Acid [To Help Protect Flavor], Sesame Oil, Chicken Broth Powder), Monosodium Glutamate, Liquid Margarine (Vegetable Oil Blend [Liquid Soybean, Hydrogenated Cottonseed, Hydrogenated Soybean], Water, Vegetable Mono And Diglycerides, Beta Carotene [Color]), Roasted Garlic Juice Flavor (Garlic Juice, Salt, Natural Flavors), Gelatin, Roasted Onion Juice Flavor (Onion Juice, Salt, Natural Flavors), Chicken Pot Pie Flavor (Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy And Wheat Gluten Protein, Salt, Vegetable Stock [Carrot, Onion, Celery], Maltodextrin, Flavors, Dextrose, Chicken Broth), Sugar, Mono and Diglycerides, Spice, Seasoning (Soybean Oil, Oleoresin Turmeric, Spice Extractives), Parsley, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Yellow 5. Enriched Flour Bleached (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Water, Nonfat Milk, Maltodextrin, Salt, Dextrose, Sugar, Whey, Natural Flavor, Butter, Citric Acid, Dough Conditioner, L-Cysteine Hydrochloride, Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate (Preservatives), Colored With Yellow 5 & Red 40. Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, With Not More Than 2% Calcium Silicate Added as an Anti Caking Agent OR Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Corn Starch, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spice Extractives, Citric Acid, and 2% Calcium Silicate added as Anticaking Agent OR Fresh Chicken Marinated With: Salt, Sodium Phosphate and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Sodium Chloride and Anti-caking Agent (Tricalcium Phosphate), Nonfat Milk, Egg Whites, Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe Seasoning OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Sodium Chloride and Anti-caking agent (Tricalcium Phosphate), Nonfat Milk, Egg Whites, Colonel’s Secret Original Recipe Seasoning OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, With Not More Than 2% Calcium Silicate Added as an Anti Caking Agent OR Potato Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, Corn Starch, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Garlic Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Spice Extractives, Citric Acid, and 2% Calcium Silicate Added As Anticaking Agent OR Seasoning (Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Garlic Powder, Spice Extractives, Onion Powder), Soy Protein Concentrate, Rice Starch and Sodium Phosphates. Battered With: Water, Wheat Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Dextrose, Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Predusted With: Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Dried Egg Whites, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice and Onion Powder. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Soy Flour, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Monosodium Glutamate, Spice, Nonfat Dry Milk, Onion Powder, Dextrose, Extractives of Turmeric and Extractives of Annatto. Breading Set in Vegetable oil.
    Contains Egg, Milk, Wheat and Soy.
    *Will contain one of the Ingredient statements above, depending upon regional suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

you're asking about kfc in the veggie forum?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

rubadub wrote: »
    http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/pdf/kfc_ingredients_july11.pdf

Check out this list for just one item, though theres a good few "ORs" in there.

I shudder to think that people put that stuff into their bodies :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

--LOS-- wrote: »
    you're asking about kfc in the veggie forum?!
    Prob the place where people would have the best idea of non-obvious ingredients of a food. Obviously a lot of veggies would hate the very idea of KFC, but others might not have an isue with eating foods with no animal products from those palces. So they know to avoid the gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mellor wrote: »
    Prob the place where people would have the best idea of non-obvious ingredients of a food.
    +1, makes sense to ask here, my money would be on a vegetarian who has never been in KFC knowing the answer before a meateater who goes to KFC everyday.
    anbrutog wrote: »
    I shudder to think that people put that stuff into their bodies :eek:
    The lists are big but I wonder if they are just being explicit, i.e. I wonder if the other companies hide 50 ingredients under a term "spices" or something.

I think you can omit stuff if it is not a certain % overall.

McDonalds lists also seem huge but I noticed they clearly state the item along with the E number, so it appears longer -while a typical supermarket burger, kethcup & bun has pretty much the same list.

Mellor wrote: »
    Prob the place where people would have the best idea of non-obvious ingredients of a food. Obviously a lot of veggies would hate the very idea of KFC, but others might not have an isue with eating foods with no animal products from those palces. So they know to avoid the gravy

I'd go to a chipper but I wouldnt go near kfc, I'd imagine most veggies wouldnt either since chicken is their main product after all. I don't even like to see a thread on kfc in the veggie forum at all and would prefer to see it moved or closed. OP the next time you're in kfc, just ask, easier sorted that way, good luck with the reaction though eeep

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Can you even buy veggie things in kfc? Last and only time I was in one they wouldn't even sell chips on their own! Guy actually just gave them to me for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Very few things afaik.
    Beans, coleslaw, corn on the cob. You can get fries solo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Can you even buy veggie things in kfc? Last and only time I was in one they wouldn't even sell chips on their own! Guy actually just gave them to me for free.

KFC chips are maggoty manky. They're like the scummiest of 1980s-era fly-by-night chipper van chips. It's actually a good thing that they only give about eight of them in a bag! :eek: :pac:

would you want to?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Definitely not! It's a bad last resort. It was poor form that at dublin zoo the only vegetarian thing that was there was some free chips from kfc. :/

Advertisement