Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constipated cat....

Options
  • 28-10-2009 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

My cat seems to be a bit constipated the past few days. She is managing to pass small stools 2-3 times a day but has had a few unsuccessful attempts too! I tried mixing olive oil in her food but she didn't like it and wouldn't eat it. Is there anything else I can try? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭muppet_man

What food are you feeding her? Mostly likely diet related

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

She gets half a sachet of Felix wet food once a day and then I leave dry food out all day for them. But now that you say it, I bought Kite-Kat dry food and started giving them that on Friday I think it was - constipation started Sunday. Would it make a difference that quick? I normally give them Whiskas or Go-Gat. I know supermarket dry food isn't the best quality but they are generally healthy otherwise. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If she's passing stools she's not constipated. However if she squats and has no success, she could be trying to pee, but unable to due to pain from a urinary tract infection. How much water is she taking in? Could be a trip to the vet...

If she's passing stools she's not constipated. However if she squats and has no success, she could be trying to pee, but unable to due to pain from a urinary tract infection. How much water is she taking in? Could be a trip to the vet...

I thought that at first but I have been checking the litter tray and she is peeing. And she's in great form and playful and I haven't noticed her drinking any more than normal and she's eating ok too. I have delayed bringing her to the vet cos she hates being handled and she is always a bit nervous for a few days after, hiding from me for fear I will put her in the box again!! I'm going out now to buy their old dry food and hopefully that will make a difference. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Fish with oil or sunflower oil in her food might help. Or get some bezopet paste from the vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Catlax is good to get them to go, can get it from the vet. If she is going at all then she is not constipated (as The Sweeper said), she may have something else wrong if she is squatting to to but nothing happening (as also mentioned, UTI comes to mind but there could also be something else). If the weird pooing doesn't settle after a while of being on her normal food then it may be tme to bring her to the vet to be sure there is nothing else up.

Thanks all. I gave her some tuna in sunflower oil two days in a row and things are moving along nicely now!!!

Advertisement