Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving abroad

Options
  • 28-10-2009 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey,

Not sure if anyone can help or has any experience in this but all replies are welcome!

Myself and my husband are currently living in drogheda at the moment and we are hoping to move to the States next year as he may be up for a position in NY. We have a house here already but I'm not sure if selling would be a wise move at the moment considering the state of the economy, I would prefer to rent but I've heard of people who had had their houses wrecked (even though they went through a letting agent) and have spent thousands on repairing the damage with no hope of ever seeing a penny from the tenants. Also, if it didn't work out it would be nice to come back to my own home. Although it is quite prelim at this stage I want to gather as much information as possible now because if this does go through the turn around time will be really quick.

Any other advice relating to relocating abroad would be great! Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It's not normal for tenants to wreck their rental property. If you are a nice landlord and you make an effort to pick the right tenants (work references, etc.) it should be safe enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 marmalade3

My brother moved to US, maybe 10 years ago, with his wife and 2 little boys. They had a house here and they rented it initially until they had decided whether life in US was for them or not - they wanted to have the option of moving back if it didn't work out for them in US.

After 2 years of happy renting of their home here, and of them happily renting in the States, they decided to stay there and sold their house here.

I am a landlady and have had no problems with any of my tenants whatsoever. Most tenants are fine, just make sure to thoroughly check work and bank references and get a reference from a previous landlord also.

My brother and family subsequently bought a house in USA and live there to this day and just love it.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement