Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours grrrr!!!

Options
  • 28-10-2009 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi all,

Need a bit of advice. Last night for the 2nd time in a week and a half we were kept awake by the neightbours playing load music, singing etc. There was only two of them in the house!! It happened last Sunday aswell. We said nothing as its never happened before so we let it go, we were only awake that night for about 2 hours and then dropped off again but last night we were awake from 2am to 7am!!!!!! At 4am i heard them go out the back for a smoke, our bedroom is at the back so i threw my head out the window and said excuse me would you mind turing the music down and the guy was like ok yeah sorry. It was turned down by about half the volume it was but sure at that hour of the morning its still really loud! So at 6am it had gotten louder and louder, my boyfriend did the same and told him to turn the music off, his reply was ask me properly and i will!!! My boyfriend got very angry at this stage and freaked out. Anyway the music was turned down but it stayed on and again got gradually louder until it finally went of at 7 this morning just as my boyfriend had to get up for work. Were both exhausted. Do you think we should report to the guards or say it to them face to face? I think theyre only renting, havent seen the owners in a while and we dont have contact details for them. I dont want this to happen again but its so tempting to just freak at them.
    Thanks
    Lou

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 marmalade3

Talk to them first I reckon, during daylight hours and without any alcohol having been taken. Hopefully that'll work. However, it wouldn't do any harm to keep a diary of the dates the noise happens and the dates you spoke to them about it.

If the problem persists, at least you'll have some facts to back up your claims if/when you need to resort to gardai. This, in my experience, only exacerbates the problem and could turn nasty on you.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

The gardai wont pay any attention to complaints about noise. If you are renting complain to your landlord and more importantly if you can the management company. We had a similar issue in our block with a party that lasted from 2:00 AM Sunday morning to 8:00 PM Sunday night - worst 18 hours ever! They got evicted as there was so many complaints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dan mc

If you are renting complain to your landlord and more importantly if you can the management company.

what would happen if it was SDCC you were renting off?

Who/what SDCC??:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dan mc

marmalade3 wrote: »
    Who/what SDCC??:rolleyes:

South Dublin County Council ;)

• Advertisement

Ta:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

As someone else said, the gardai won't do anything. Noise is a local authority issue not a garda one.

I would start by trying to talk to the tenants (during the day) about the issue, they may be genuinely unaware of how much you can here.

Failing that you should try to contact the landlord. You may be able to find the tenancy registration details on the PRTB website.

There is some further information here:
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/NoisePollution/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

BC wrote: »
    I would start by trying to talk to the tenants (during the day) about the issue, they may be genuinely unaware of how much you can here.
    From the OP's post, that's pretty unlikely. Some people take a very short-term view of renting and have no qualms about disrupting the lives of their neighbours. You're not going to reason with people like that.
    So at 6am it had gotten louder and louder, my boyfriend did the same and told him to turn the music off, his reply was ask me properly and i will!!!
    OP best suggestions as given earlier are to complain to the management company and contact the landlord. Presumably he/she vetted these people in the first place, although they may not care once they're getting their rent. Also talk to your other neighbours and see how they feel about the situation. The management company might take the issue more seriously if there are complaints from several parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

Not being smart but I found this the best option

http://hearos.com/earplugs/products-02225.html

Noisy neighbours on both sides!!:eek:

Advertisement