Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training to stop dog jumping on people

Options
  • 28-10-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondered if anyone had tips to stop a dog jumping up on people. My cocker is a year old now and she tends to get excited around people. She doesn't jump on me anymore but if anyone new comes around the house, particularly small children, she gets excited and jumps right on top of them!

I've heard of putting her back down to a sitting position and then praising her but that doesn't seem to be working too much. Wondering if anyone had a better method.

She's a cocker who is one year old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Investigate methods around completetly ignoring her - fold your arms and turn away, make no eye contact, lean away from her, turn your back. When she is totally, utterly calm - she'll appear quite deflated at being ignored - you can start to show her some attention, but revert to utterly ignoring her immediatley if she plays up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

We have a similar problem with our Bichon. What works for us is when she starts jumping on us we totally ignore her until she stops and then she gets our attention. After a while she learns that jumping up on us doesn't get our attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yep I heard that turning your back to them helps too. It's not easy in my situation though as the dog is heavy enough and would knock you over if you hadn't expected it.

What I started to do is have a slip lead at hand and if he jumps up put it on him and lead him to his crate, it gives him a few minutes to chill out and observe our guests. (I don't give out or drag or make a big deal out of it, as I don't want an association to develop between punishment and his crate).

I think he saw my sister nearly as another pup, he gets so excited at seeing her that he goes way OTT. He will behave when I am in the room, but as soon as I leave, he's in her face licking and pawing and generally being obnoxious. She started doing putting him into the crate and you can see the respect developing in him.

Hopefully he will get to the stage where we don't have to put him away for a few mins to prevent the jumping, but until then, it works a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Santrypad

Another one is( depending on the size of the dog) is to hold his paws when he jumps just for a few secs, he will get uncomfortable and realise shortly that each time he jumps he gets stuck there and doesnt like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

No need for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Depending on how big your dog is (won't really work with a smaller one) when the dog goes to jump on you, just bring your knee up straight away, and don't engage with the dog. Just literally jerk it up. I'd say you'll have to do this max 10 times before they get the message!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Investigate methods around completetly ignoring her - fold your arms and turn away, make no eye contact, lean away from her, turn your back. When she is totally, utterly calm - she'll appear quite deflated at being ignored - you can start to show her some attention, but revert to utterly ignoring her immediatley if she plays up again.

This works brilliantly! Have done this with several dogs and they soon learn that if they jump, you suddenly become very boring and they get no attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Train the dog to sit at the end of the hall when you greet people at the door, then they can see what is going on and have a job to do at the same time, give loads of praise when sucessful - repeat a lot!

Thats what we do with our dogs as we have big dogs and small kids - with the associated stream of small kids visiting. Doesn't work all the time with our pup (lab/Irish setter) but we are getting there.

When outside we do the same with either a sit or a down when we meet people, takes a bit of the fear out or the encounter for non dog people when they see a dog doing what it is told.

Advertisement