Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Batteries

• 28-10-2009 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

I need to get a second battery for my Canon eos 400d (Digital Rebel).

They cost around 60 euro over the counter in Dublin shops. Are there quick and reliable online companies that people here use, please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Moman

I bought 2 generic canon batteries from www.7dayshop.com and found them just as good as the canon version for a fraction of the price €6.99
    also great prices on Compact Flash cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

How much did the camera cost, I presume you look after it, keep it from harms way etc so pay the €60 buy the Canon Battery and be safe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I would normally agree with dodgykeeper, however 7dayshop's batteries work a treat for a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The batteries from 7dayshop are fine, have a bunch I use on the 350D, keep meaning to order some for the 40D. If you are nervous about using no-names Duracell also do a range of replacement batteries at around half the cost of the Canon branded ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Anouilh wrote: »
    I need to get a second battery for my Canon eos 400d (Digital Rebel).

I bought a Canon battery for my 50D from B&H in NY.

It cost me €42 as apposed to €100 I was quoted in Cork City, and they would have had to order it in for me.

The 400D battery shown in the link is only $42.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I have original Canon batteries that came with my camera and the cheap 7dayshop ones. The only difference I could see in over 3 years was that the Canon ones were much more expensive. So by the cheap 7dayshop ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 diamondphoto

There are a lot of generic batteries out there, all perform just as good as the branded ones. I use all generic ones on my 5D but opted for the branded ones for my 1Dn

Get the generic ones! :D

Fergul

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have heard of dubious batteries bought on eBay, though some are good too. You can never tell.

I too use the 7dayshop generic batteries & they are good as they stand by their products. The only difference is the generics from 7dayshop have a higher capacity than the originals from Nikon. I also have a set for my Canon G9 & they are also really good.

A poor quality battery is not going to damage your camera, they will just not last many recharge cycles before their capacity starts to reduce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭tadhgrrr

cant fault 7dayshop...ive been using their batteries in my 400D for a few years now and never had any problems..so cheap you can buy 5 or 6 of em and never run out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Thank you all for the help.

I have been told that generic batteries will last about a year whereas a genuine Canon battery will last for three years.

A question in passing. Does a battery wear out more quickly if it is charged often?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

I got 2 unbranded batteries that came with a battery grip from ebay and one lasted about a week and now won't hold a charge. The other is fine but I think it loses it's charge more quickly than the canon one. I only ever use it as a backup.
    re. the battery life being shorter with charging often I don't know. I had a heard that it was fine to do it with lithuim batteries but still nervous if charging just as a 'top up'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭nantony98

You could try power101.com . I've never used them but stumbled upon their site and it seems very good value.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have been told that generic batteries will last about a year whereas a genuine Canon battery will last for three years.

This all depends on the quality of the battery. Canon, Nikon, etc. will source very good quality manufacturers for their batteries. I doubt they make them themselves, but could be wrong. You would expect this as you pay a premium price for these batteries & a hefty mark up for the fact that it's genuine.

With a Generic Battery you do not have any such assurances of quality. If you buy on eBay then you take your chances as to what you get. Some will be really good others very poor. You do not have much comeback on it from some trader in Hong Kong or China that will be gone in a few weeks. That is why I will not buy batteries on eBay. I do however but them from 7dayshop as they stand by their products & will sort things out if there is a problem. I have had to contact their Customer Service & they were very good & fair.#

A question in passing. Does a battery wear out more quickly if it is charged often?

There are many theories on battery life, not just in Photography but in many places that use them. The best advice I have heard is to allow the NiMH to go completely flat about once a month & then recharge. Having said that, if you but batteries for <€10 each & they last about 3 years with normal use, who cares if you get an extra six months if you get really pedantic about looking after them. I would say just use them for maximum convienience, top them up if necessary & carry a couple of spares.

# I ordered one of 7dayshops very good battery chargers & a carrier for the D70 in with a larger order. According to their website all the items had been despatched. Two weeks later everything had arrived other than the Battery Charger so I contacted them. They assured me it had all been sent on the same day but in seperate packages (as they do) but as it had been so long they would reissue the item. It then arrived a few days later. About another week went by & the the original package came, looking a bit worse for wear. I would say it had had a problem with An Post. I informed 7dayshop & they said not to bother sending it back. Very good as it wasn't their fault in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

You can ask Ian Kerso (aka Flash Camera on Ebay). He's a known camera and accessories suppliers. His items are shipped from Scotland so should be reasonably on time. Although if he uses RoyalMail that might affect shipments. His email is 2kerso at g mail dot com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I have bought batteries for my D80 on Ebay in 2007 and they are still working great. I recently bought a generic batterygrip and an EN-EL4 generic battery for my D700 and find it works perfect giving me 8 fps.
    Rechargable batteries have a life of a specific amount of charges/discharges. Usually specified by the manufacturer.

Advertisement