Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming a Language Support Teacher?

• 28-10-2009 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

My fiance is a Chinese national with fluent English and an honours Business Degree from an Irish IT. She has worked for a number of years in a professional business role, and now is in the middle of completing a FAS TEFL course.

Are there opportunities out there as a language support teacher, ie helping children from Chinese speaking homes to learn English and keep up to speed with their education? What are the minimum qualifications for these roles?

I'd be grateful for any helpful info or links.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

leonardjos wrote: »
    Are there opportunities out there as a language support teacher, ie helping children from Chinese speaking homes to learn English and keep up to speed with their education? What are the minimum qualifications for these roles?

My experience is that no there are no oppurtunities out there as a language support teacher within the primary or secondary school sector. Unless you are a fully qualified teacher. Its the same with language schools, they mostly deal with adults and you said children in your post, but those jobs are gold dust. I have my degree and the ACELS course done in English langauge teaching, the only one recognised by the DOES, and it means nothing right now. I was a LST in a Primary school and secondary school (split hours) last year on 15 hours a week and got some subbing in there too but these LS jobs tend to go to fully qualified probated primary school teachers with no qualification in English Language.

sorry if i seem sour but these are the facts of the current situation in teaching. also ELT got hit by massive cutbacks in the budget so I dont see the future looking too bright for your fianceé or I.

Offering private tuition could be an option??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

hazeler wrote: »
    these LS jobs tend to go to fully qualified probated primary school teachers with no qualification in English Language.

Of course the job should go to a qualified primary teacher. They are qualified to teach this, they don't need a TEFL cert also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭lauralee28

kaji wrote: »
    Of course the job should go to a qualified primary teacher. They are qualified to teach this, they don't need a TEFL cert also.

Well said! Of course these jobs should go to qualified teachers as opposed to anybody else. Same in secondary school. End of!

kaji wrote: »

Wrong. You have to have a TEFL cert to teach EFL in both Primary and secondary schools in Ireland. Whether schools enforce it or not is not up to me but DOE guidelines say you have to...

http://www.acels.ie/schoolsregulations.htm

I'll just quote in case you dont follow the link.

k)that all teachers have:
    (i) a third – level qualification at minimum Level 7 (e.g. Ordinary degree) on the National Qualifications Framework; (ii) an ACELS recognised TEFL qualification (see Annex 2)

Teaching English LANGUAGE and the english curriculum are two very different things.
    lauralee28 wrote: »
    Well said! Of course these jobs should go to qualified teachers as opposed to anybody else. Same in secondary school. End of!

Im not saying the jobs shouldn't go to qualified teachers. So long as those teachers have the EFL certification I have no problems. Why should a teacher with a dip in say, maths and PE, teach English language? Would they be allowed teach french or german? No. So why is ok to teach english without a qualification?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭lauralee28

Wrong.

Im not saying the jobs shouldn't go to qualified teachers. So long as those teachers have the EFL certification I have no problems. Why should a teacher with a dip in say, maths and PE, teach English language? Would they be allowed teach french or german? No. So why is ok to teach english without a qualification?

That may be so, however, schools are not going to start giving the TEFL hours to people who have "certs" outside of their staff. There are enough cuts in teachers jobs without this happening. Yes, in an ideal world they would have the cert, but thats not going to happen anytime in the near future when the hours can be allocated to a teacher not on full hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭beemurf

Wrong. You have to have a TEFL cert to teach EFL in both Primary and secondary schools in Ireland. Whether schools enforce it or not is not up to me but DOE guidelines say you have to...

http://www.acels.ie/schoolsregulations.htm

I'll just quote in case you dont follow the link.

k)that all teachers have:
    (i) a third – level qualification at minimum Level 7 (e.g. Ordinary degree) on the National Qualifications Framework; (ii) an ACELS recognised TEFL qualification (see Annex 2)

Teaching English LANGUAGE and the english curriculum are two very different things.

Those guidelines posted are in regard to the employment of teachers to teach EFL in English language schools, not teaching or language support in primary and secondary schools.

lauralee28 wrote: »
    That may be so, however, schools are not going to start giving the TEFL hours to people who have "certs" outside of their staff. There are enough cuts in teachers jobs without this happening. Yes, in an ideal world they would have the cert, but thats not going to happen anytime in the near future when the hours can be allocated to a teacher not on full hours.

Im not saying nor did I imply schools should give it to people outside their staff who have just "certs". I am simply saying that the staff who teach english langauge should be certified, if they are to do it.
    beemurf wrote: »
    Those guidelines posted are in regard to the employment of teachers to teach EFL in English language schools, not teaching or language support in primary and secondary schools.

Those guidelines were handed to us in our by our principal and we were told that if we wanted to be considered for any position with LST in our school we had to do the course. I had mine done but, 3 other teachers in my school went and completed the course over summer holidays. The guidelines transfer across to language schools also but are no exclusive to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭simonsez

leonardjos wrote: »
    My fiance is a Chinese national with fluent English and an honours Business Degree from an Irish IT. She has worked for a number of years in a professional business role, and now is in the middle of completing a FAS TEFL course.

I'd be grateful for any helpful info or links.

hi would it possible to know where is this fas tefl course? i have been trwaling the fas website to no avail ?? thanks in advance

:)ss

Advertisement