Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aviva Stadium Too Small?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

sugarman wrote: »
    True that but sure it would be easier than building a new stadium as opposed in 2002. We could bribe the GAA stadiums by bringing their grounds up to standard in return for use of them. Definately would'nt be the worst idea.

How much does thomand hold all seating out of curiosity?

why would the GAA need their stadiums brought up to UEFA standard, many are perfectly fine as they are ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

celticbest wrote: »
    The only reason that the atmosphere is bad in Croke Park is because of the size of a soccer pitch and the distance it is away from the crowd.

The only reason that the atmosphere is bad is because it's a three quarters built mausoleum with no atmosphere.

In their own brilliant way, the FAI have decided to follow suit and make Aviva Stadium the same. Some genius decided that the Havelock Square end wasn't really needed and with the help of wierd angle advertising photos, they could lose it and nobody would actually notice.

You have to stand back and appreciate the absurdity of it all.

Hey Lads. I've an idea. Let's build a three sided lopsided oddity. And price tickets at mad money. Sure they'll fly out the door.

If there was ever a case of the blind leading the blind, this is it.

Of course I could be wrong but if it looks like a duck etc.,

94638.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Pal wrote: »
    The only reason that the atmosphere is bad is because it's a three quarters built mausoleum with no atmosphere.

Have you ever been there on a Championship day? Croker certainly ain't quiet then. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Daysha wrote: »
    The FAI or IRFU will never admit it to being a possibility though. They need to sell those 10-year premium tickets, and telling the country they may move the big matches to Croker is one way not to do it.

that wont happen with the prices they are asking.

I was looking at one of the lower end prices and was quoted €20K (and was told its football matches only - no rugby, no concerts - they were a bit taken aback when I presented them with questions:

1. roughly how many matches will this cover per year ?
    2. whats the predicted average price of a ticket ?
    3. what other benefits are available if I'm to pay excessively for a seat ?

I actually laughed (and apologised to the salesman for doing so) after the answer to question 3...... you'd be a member in our exclusive club.... funny though ...wasnt able to give me any benefits other than I would be part of a "Club"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think 50,000 is perfect it will make it harder for the fans get tickets from the 80,000 in croker but if your real fan I think you will get out of your way to get tickets and think it gives the place a better atmosphere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

I think 50,000 is perfect it will make it harder for the fans get tickets from the 80,000 in croker but if your real fan I think you will get out of your way to get tickets and think it gives the place a better atmosphere

I sincerely hope you are not suggesting there are only 50,000 real rugby/soccer fans in this country. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

I sincerely hope you are not suggesting there are only 50,000 real rugby/soccer fans in this country. :confused:

Genuine or plastic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Right I have been going to Irish international games for both rugby and soccer since about 1987. Been to about 60-70 games and about 50/50 for both i say.

The atmosphere in old lansdowne when the capacity was 50,000 for both football and rugby was amazing and Charlton days especially were just unreal.

Now I have been disappointed with Croker not the stadium itself which I think is first class bar the hill but the problem is you get your 60-70,000 and I have seen people going for Burger or Toilet halfway through the game find that stupid as you could miss goal or try.

Half football internationals are on a Wednesday night which makes it harder for people frm Cork, Limerick, Donergal etc to take time off go game and most Wednesdsay night games sicne croker opened its capacity has been about the 50,000 mark give or take couple thousand. Rugby is bit more lucky in that there games fall on Saturday. Anyway.

I think with Aviva having a reduced capacity you will get the more geniune fans wanting to get there hands on tickets and they will be in Less demand and hence the supporters who only GO for luxuary few hours to the game wont bother as much as they find it harder to get game in first place.

Think Aviva will be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Atmosphere in Croker is immense for GAA matches.

I have never seen a good atmosphere at a GAA game,certainly not a immense one anyway.

I think 50k is to small sure the rugby lads could get 46 odd in as they could used the terraces.I have not been to a Ireland game since big jacks days so I don't know how hard tickets are to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

zAbbo wrote: »
    Average attendance for our qualifiers in Croke Park is under 60,000.

So I don't think an increase in capacity is warranted given the planning issues.

A couple of low attendances against the group fodder will do that to anyone to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

UEFA 'own' the grounds for the 2 weeks prior to and the ~25 days of the competition.

So no GAA matches in those grounds for 5 weeks in June/July. And "by the way Mr Frank Murphy, please get the hell out of our stadium, this office is now Monsieur Platini's Cork office for the next 3 weeks"

Not a snowballs chance of the GAA agreeing to it (and I wouldn't blame them.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

In their own brilliant way, the FAI have decided to follow suit and make Aviva Stadium the same. Some genius decided that the Havelock Square end wasn't really needed and with the help of wierd angle advertising photos, they could lose it and nobody would actually notice.

You have to stand back and appreciate the absurdity of it all.

Hey Lads. I've an idea. Let's build a three sided lopsided oddity. And price tickets at mad money. Sure they'll fly out the door.

If there was ever a case of the blind leading the blind, this is it.

Of course I could be wrong but if it looks like a duck etc.,

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, none. You've obviously never been to a Dublin match in the championship in Croke Park. Were you at Ireland v England in the rugby in 2007, Ireland v Italy 2 weeks ago? Just a few examples of excellent atmospheres in Croke Park.

As for your point about the Havelock Square end in Lansdowne....what the **** do you want them to do? THERE ARE PLANNING RESTRICTIONS. They've done a great job with the design all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

sugarman wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadiums_of_Ireland

There are actually 3 decent GAA stadiums with in and around 50k capacity with 35k seating, an extra 10k temp seats could easly be added if they were to allow football games to be played there.

jaysus so 45k seats? sure thats bigger than Aviva after the prawn sandwich seats!

give the stadiums a smack of a mop and we're good to go! Dunno why they bothered payin all that money building Aviva!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'm pretty sure that's capaicity and not seats on the wiki site.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, none. .
    Fascinating conclusion. Please. Do continue.
    You've obviously never been to a Dublin match in the championship in Croke Park. .

Went to my first Dubs game in 1977. Been to probably a few hundred since. Away games too. Used travel all over following the Dubs. Great day was had in Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Now that was an atmosphere. Actually, some great days on the Hill in the eighties but they seem have gone now.
    Were you at Ireland v England in the rugby in 2007,
    Yes. Got onto to the Hill with a schools ticket. Very wet. Emotional occasion but I wouldn't say great atmosphere by way of a sporting contest.
    Ireland v Italy 2 weeks ago? Just a few examples of excellent atmospheres in Croke Park.,
    No. I watched on TV. Gave my ticket to my son. He enjoyed it. looked like a good match on the telly despite what Dunphy said.
    As for your point about the Havelock Square end in Lansdowne....what the **** do you want them to do? THERE ARE PLANNING RESTRICTIONS. They've done a great job with the design all things considered.
    Dig a hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Dub13 wrote: »
    I have never seen a good atmosphere at a GAA game,certainly not a immense one anyway.

you've been to the wrong matches then. I've been to some great GAA matches down the years, most noticeable the 98 All Ireland Football final... best rendition of Fields of Athenry i've ever heard standing in the old Canal end.

The new Croker though has dulled it down a lot.

Anyway, in terms of the numbers, 50k is alright. 10k for corporate is excessive, however you only have to look at the revenue the FAI/IRFU got from corporate seating over the past decade to see it made more economic sense to do so.

With the design of the stadium though those 36k should be more than enough to get a really good atmosphere going.

You also have expenditure of maintenance to consider. A 70k seater is much more expensive to maintain than a 50k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

well if 50,000 only turned up for the montenegro match, then, yes, there are only 50,000. :p

thorbarry wrote: »
    well if 50,000 only turned up for the montenegro match, then, yes, there are only 50,000. :p

I totally agree, for all but the big games the average attendance has been 50- 60K at Croker, and with the amount of boxes there you'd assume that at least 10K are 'prawn sandwiches', therefore the total of 'real fans' is somewhere in the 40-50K range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

thorbarry wrote: »

Well, its been said before, but if this is a midweek game you're talking about, then its very unfair to say that all the fans tried to make it.

Between work, and having to travel up from the country etc a lot of fans from outside the Pale would not have been able to make it.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »

Me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

cson wrote: »
    Did you have your telly on mute again? Tut tut tut.

Do you watch LoI matches?
    They may be loud, but they sing Fields of Anfield Road twice during the match and You'll Never Walk Alone at the beginning of a match and at half-time. That's all they sing. England is the worst country in the world for good atmosphere at a football match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Atmosphere in Croker is immense for GAA matches.

I've been to plenty of GAA Championship matches in Croke Park over recent years, and the atmosphere has always been dead. Completely lifeless, bar the odd person shouting "up the rebels!".

One good thing for definite when Aviva is finished, is that (provided the GAA agree) is that with 2 top class stadia in the Capital, we can actually have a real go for a joint bid to host a major sporting event.

The Euro's, Rugger WC, Finals (CL / Europa) etc etc

And these, couple with our National Sports Campus getting finished (fingers crossed) we could actually have a decent bid at even the Olympics / World Athletics Championships.

I agree, I think we could launch a bid for the Rugby World Cup. Take a look at the stadiums in New Zealand, and they're hosting the World Cup in 2011:

http://www.worldstadiums.com/oceania/countries/new_zealand.shtml

If we renovated a few GAA stadiums around the country, along with the new Aviva, Croker, Thomond Park, and Ravenhill, I think we would have a very strong bid.

UEFA 'own' the grounds for the 2 weeks prior to and the ~25 days of the competition.

So no GAA matches in those grounds for 5 weeks in June/July. And "by the way Mr Frank Murphy, please get the hell out of our stadium, this office is now Monsieur Platini's Cork office for the next 3 weeks"

Not a snowballs chance of the GAA agreeing to it (and I wouldn't blame them.)

'They' said that the GAA would never allow rugby or soccer in Croke Park. Money talks!

'They' said that the GAA would never allow rugby or soccer in Croke Park. Money talks!

Nothing to do with money.
    Don't go giving the GAA undeserved credit.
    The GAA were dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
    They would surely have been censured for outdated bigoted views.
    Time was up.
    Nothing less.
    this is not the dark ages.
    They had to concede.

Then what.
    Look at the fiasco over Tallaght caused by Thomas Davis of the GAA.
    What hypocrites.

Armanijeanns is spot on.
    There is no way they would hand over Croke Park to UEFA.
    No way.

they will only repeal their exclusionist law because if FAI/IRFU dont come back
    looking to rent Croker after 2010, then the GAA will say, we didn't stop you.

oh
    and did I mention, there's no atmosphere there anyway and Aviva Stadium is too small
    because of its 3 grandstands.

bah humbug

cson wrote: »
    Have you ever been there on a Championship day? Croker certainly ain't quiet then. ;)

I went to the eagerly awaited Dublin v Kerry game this year.

It was very quiet.

I went to the eagerly awaited Dublin v Kerry game this year.

It was very quiet.

That's cos it was over after 5 mins

The Dubs v Kerry game in 2007 was electric

The Dubs v Mayo game in 2006 was even better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I've been to plenty of GAA Championship matches in Croke Park over recent years, and the atmosphere has always been dead. Completely lifeless, bar the odd person shouting "up the rebels!".

I agree, I think we could launch a bid for the Rugby World Cup. Take a look at the stadiums in New Zealand, and they're hosting the World Cup in 2011:

http://www.worldstadiums.com/oceania/countries/new_zealand.shtml

If we renovated a few GAA stadiums around the country, along with the new Aviva, Croker, Thomond Park, and Ravenhill, I think we would have a very strong bid.

Sorry. Its not happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

There simply wasnt the room or the surrounding infrastructure to support anything higher than a 50000 capacity.

Maybe i'm being simplistic or am missing something but where do you put any extra seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Nothing to do with money.
    Don't go giving the GAA undeserved credit.
    The GAA were dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
    They would surely have been censured for outdated bigoted views.
    Time was up.
    Nothing less.
    this is not the dark ages.
    They had to concede.

Then what.
    Look at the fiasco over Tallaght caused by Thomas Davis of the GAA.
    What hypocrites.

Armanijeanns is spot on.
    There is no way they would hand over Croke Park to UEFA.
    No way.

they will only repeal their exclusionist law because if FAI/IRFU dont come back
    looking to rent Croker after 2010, then the GAA will say, we didn't stop you.

oh
    and did I mention, there's no atmosphere there anyway and Aviva Stadium is too small
    because of its 3 grandstands.

bah humbug

I agree the Tallaght stadium was a disgrace. However, I think the GAA would be more than willing to hand over some of their stadia for a month in return for having them completely rebuilt.

orourkeda wrote: »
    There simply wasnt the room or the surrounding infrastructure to support anything higher than a 50000 capacity.

Maybe i'm being simplistic or am missing something but where do you put any extra seats.

Why didn't they put the dart line underground for a short stretch as it passed by the stadium/adjoining roads?

This would have been easy enough to do.

Also, I don't think the small terrace behind one end looks too bad- if anything it makes the stadium unique from all the other clones and it will also provide a place to stick the away supporters, which should make for a great atmosphere.

I

Why didn't they put the dart line underground for a short stretch as it passed by the stadium/adjoining roads?.

exactly

Also, I don't think the small terrace behind one end looks too bad- if anything it makes the stadium unique from all the other clones and it will also provide a place to stick the away supporters, which should make for a great atmosphere.

maybe. I dont share your optimism but we will see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement