Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

workshop floor help please

Options
  • 28-10-2009 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

hello there,
    i have aquestion for you experienced people here. i have built a steel shed using box iron and cladding and placed it on a concrete pad. i am almost finished but my problem is that when it rains water will flow underneath the cladding and box iron. i have tried mastic and tapering in concrete against the box iron but still a slight leak.
    i was thinking of either pouring concrete again thus raising the floor inside or laying down plastic sheeting, then putting battens down and laying marine plywood. then covering the plywood in floor levelling compound and painting it with epoxy garage floor paint.
    what do you think? thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'd rule out the battens/marine ply/levelling compound scenario.

For a start, self-levelling compound is really only used to level out small imperfections in certain parts of a floor. It is not intended as a covering for an entire floor.

Also, no matter how secure your battens & ply would be - there would still be a certain amount of "give" in them & the floor would ultimately crack substantially with use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Battens and ply over a dpm should give you as nice, not cold floor to stand on.
    More if you insulate between the battens.

A well screwed down ply floor is plenty flat for a workshop IMHO. Use 3/4 ply for a nice sturdy floor.

Best of luck to ya.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Put plastic down and do another pour. The shed will act as a form. You could put aeroboard sheets down before you pour for insulation done forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

thanks a mill. is there any need to worry about water leaking in under the plastic if i go the 3/4 plywood route?
    what plastic should i ask for in the builders shop?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

1000 gauge polythene.

it comes in rolls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

top men, thanks for help. I went for the pouring concrete again option, usinf the steel as a form. top job, very happy with it. nice to have it done right in the end. thanks again.

Advertisement