Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thrills and spills - the good days and the great days!!

Options
  • 28-10-2009 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I started to derail the hunting thread so decided to start this. I've had a few stories over the years, riding since I was 5 and 24 now! Not a ranting thread tho, just a thrills and spills kinda thread! :p It's always fun laughing at hearing other peoples stories!

Out hunting I was pushed onto the bonnet of a car, the hunt was travelling down a public road and a car came against it. So with the space left it was roughly 2 horses passing it, I came up to the car one man beside me next thing an older gentleman (in his late 50's, should know better!!!) came barging between us push my pony onto the car. Her knees were right up by the wipers me sitting on her looking in at the driver almost insteadly in tears with shock, just imagine a pony tried jumping up a bank and couldn't make the height and ended up resting on it, the bank was the car! No damage done thank god, well I presume there wasn't I was then pushed ahead when she came off the car and couldnt get back to the driver to check but there was no report back after so phew!

Told in the hunting thread already but here is another one...

My second hunt out I was only 16 and I had another girl with me same age but on an experienced hunter. We came to one massive trench, and her pony wouldn't even attempt it, everyone had gone ahead so we started to worry as there was no way around and didn't know the area. Then one man on a young horse & 2 other ppl with him came shouting across the field 'get out of the way, get the fcuk out of our way' before he even gave us a chance to move he was on top of us shouting f-ing this and f-ing that stupid kids and their ponys.

These weren't funny at the time but I can laugh at them now, the car bonnet one anyway the rude man is still about! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Something quite funny happened today actually. The council finally decided to tar the road yesterday outside the stables and today they were back to finish it of. That was grand and we thought the road should be alright to let the horses on for a hack.
    So we were about two or three hundred yards away from the house when a man came running down, arms waving madly (yea I know that wasn't smart around horses) and yelled that we were not allowed on the road. We asked why and he said it was because of the holes the feet made. I looked around and there was no holes and I said so. But he wouldnt budge. Then a car came and he waved it past but still wouldnt let us past.
    I told him that we needed the road because it was the way down to the arena. He said that we would have to go without the arena and the walk. I was on a thoroughbred (an ex-racehorse who we are schooling) at the time and I told him that she wasnt out yesterday because of the rain and if we left it another day she would be very lively. Again he wouldnt let us even though another car went past.
    So we walked straight down the middle of the road, still on the horses to the end of were they were tarring and turned of a different road.

It was funny at the time anyway because of us watching cars go past and he wouldnt let us go due to holes that were not there.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

I have two horror stories for you.

The first, I was riding a dark bay pony, around 13hh. It was my first time riding him so I was just getting used to what he was like. He was very skinny, narrow whithers and loved to tuck his head right in when he jumped so his neck practically disappeared in front of you! Anyway we were heading to this jump a low triple bar and around a stride out he tripped, almost went right down on his knees, chin on the floor. I remember hearing every1 gasp. I thought he was going to go flip right over. And to the good lads credit he pulled himself up, threw in a stride and popped over the jump before I even realized what was going on!

The second was this horrific fall I got. I was on a little round pony, around 14hh I guess and he was notorious for getting very close to his jumps and "climbing them" (taking off close, jumping high and landing close). Anyway we cantered round to the fence all fine and just as we met it he dropped his back end, almost right underneath him. I'd say to look at it he was almost sitting down he got so close. He paused for so long I thought he was refusing so I sat back ready to turn him round. He then launched, catapulted, himself over the fence and I flipped backwards off him and somehow managed to land on the other side of the fence with him. I still remember the sound of my body thumping the ground I fell so hard.

To coincide with the thread "Your Horror Stories..." we can all share our best memories riding.

I have a very fond memory of me and my friend riding in a lesson.

I was on a black mare (my first time on her) who was famous for constantly refusing her fences and my friend was on a 17hh grey gleding, very cumbersome and difficult to move quickly.

We were jumping this spread that was right at the top of the arena on the x line, hard to judge. We were at the bend lined up. From our halt to jumping the fence there was very little room. No time to work into a canter until you turned down the centre line and then about three strides to the jump.

At the end of the lesson we were always asked who wanted to jump higher. I was leading the ride and I turned round and looked at my friend (we were never ones to do this) and just raised an eyebrow at her. She shrugged and went "Why not". Laughing we both put up our hands. The instructor was just like really?

Anyway I brought the mare into the fence and she refused (first time in the lesson). She then did these little threatening mini rears that I thought were adorable. Nervous now, I brought her in again and she refused again. Again she mini reared. Pissed off I gave her a few clacks of the whip, brought her back in and she cleared it flying!

My friend brought her horse in after I went and he flew over it, almost unseating her after when he turned sharpish to get to the end of the ride!

Ah I'll always remember that time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

i fell off my pony one time and whacked my face off the only bucket in the field. i had two black eyes for about a week.

another time when i was learning to jump (i only started riding two years ago, 22 now!) the pony sprung up and hit me in the face welding my braces to my lip, had to get the bf to unprize them! not good

but both very funny now when i look back on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

The second was this horrific fall I got. I was on a little round pony, around 14hh I guess and he was notorious for getting very close to his jumps and "climbing them" (taking off close, jumping high and landing close). Anyway we cantered round to the fence all fine and just as we met it he dropped his back end, almost right underneath him. I'd say to look at it he was almost sitting down he got so close. He paused for so long I thought he was refusing so I sat back ready to turn him round. He then launched, catapulted, himself over the fence and I flipped backwards off him and somehow managed to land on the other side of the fence with him. I still remember the sound of my body thumping the ground I fell so hard.
    Hah! I did that too when at hunter trials once on my cob. We got to a bush fence, from memory it seemed like you couldn't see through it (I was about 17 at the time so I can't be sure now). He slammed on the brakes and like you I thought he was refusing, I probably tried to kick him on, which I thought would be in vain. He took a long hard look at it and lept up and through it. Luckily I landed on his neck, and was able to keep going. There was a good few last minute leaps after he examined something he wasn't sure of. (I miss him now :( )

Another was when I had him first so I was around 12, and just recovering from another horse accident, I was taking it easy on my new cob. The owner of the land led me down to a lower field and would let me trot around the field and had once led me through the stream back into the other field. He and my mum were talking and I decided to go through the stream myself, only it must have been very cold and the cob took off and up the hill. I got a fright but all I could think of was shout back at the other two saying "I'm OK!" as he cantered up the hill on me. They didn't even know I was missing, so I just pretended everything was fine and that I wasn't scared!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

ecaf wrote: »
    I got a fright but all I could think of was shout back at the other two saying "I'm OK!" as he cantered up the hill on me. They didn't even know I was missing, so I just pretended everything was fine and that I wasn't scared!

rofl, so funny! I've done this before too, but was in stitches seconds later when I realise how stupid I must have looked!

I really should have called it thrill and spills, but the funny and scary stories together!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I can change the title of the thread to that if you would like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

convert wrote: »
    I can change the title of the thread to that if you would like?

Might be better joining you horror stories and your best days thread in one and just calling it thrills and spills, sometimes they go together anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

To coincide with the thread "Your Horror Stories..." we can all share our best memories riding.

One of the best memories I have is when I was competing on a 12hh pony I broke when I was 8 years old. He was a character, and could be a difficult and bold so-and-so when he wanted (in hindsight, I think he was a bit spoiled). If he was in a bad mood he could just decide to stop at every single fence or anything remotely spooky.

Anyway, one summer I wasn't having many successful outings, and by the last show of the season I'd gotten so annoyed that I had decided he was going to do what I told him. So went into the working hunter ring and the fences were huge (for a 10 year old child on an unregistered novice pony who was jumping in the open competition). We jumped our clear round and I went out beaming. Got called into the showing phase (in those days there was only one judge, so you didn't automatically go into the showing phase immediately after your round as happens at a lot of shows now) and ended up winning the competition. Then I went into the championships and ended up as Reserve Champion. Was absolutely delighted :) All my hard work and determination paid off and it gave me so much confidence which has stood to me since.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Another fun time was passing out the master of the hounds at the beginning of the hunt. (Not amused!) But I couldn't hold him back, which was strange for the laziest, most docile school horse. Major muscle pains after that.

Another hunt the girl that waits for everyone (children's hunt), told me to stop f*ing holding the horse back and f*ing let him jump the ditch. He refused it because I was so nervous, and I knew it was going to be another giant leap over it, so I was dreading it! That accident I had when I was 11 just keeps coming back to haunt me, I never got my confidence back fully after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I was lucky enough to get 1 chance to ride an Old fashioned 3day event before they took away the Steeplechase. Having ridden a S**T* dressage test and being well in the bottom 1/2 of 150 competitors I was intent on enjoying my x-country. Now I do tend to talk loudly to my horses when competing and so while in full flow around the Steeplechase I was unaware that my conversation with the mare was actually being reported back by the Fence stewarts to the Commentator as we were early starters and things were quiet. Now it was all good. I was really enjoying myself in my own little world and didn't pay much attention at the 10 min box to my friends comments and so continued on talking during the X-country which again went well.
    Any way I'm walking back into the Stable yard with the mare when a voice says 'I hope I enjoy my spin as much as You did' I was gobsmacked to see it was Pippa Funnell heading out to the start.
    It was only then my friends told me that the commentator was telling everyone that we were having a great round and it was worth watching as judging by the conversation I was having we were really enjoying it.

I'll always remember that day as the day I got things spot on and will never forget the thrill of going clear around a course like that clear within the time.

Here's another few stories.

I have always rode riding school ponies, which could never be described as the most enthusiastic equines. Anyway this one day I was on one called Rhinestone, a stubby lazy slightly round dun gelding. He was a great learner pony for riders, if not a little strong sometimes. We were jumping a figure of 8 and as usual he did his thing, popped over it in a slow canter.

And then I turned him around towards the next fence, a much bigger more challenging spread. To this day I can't explain why but he raised his head and took the bit and placed his three prefect bouncy canter strides and flew over it in the most perfect jump i've ever ridden. The feeling was amazing, I've no idea why but he just suddenly decided that he really wanted to jump the fence! It's the only time I've ever ridden a pony who felt like he was enjoying himself!! It was great!

Another time I was riding Bailey (the pony I already talked about getting a bad fall off) and as usual he had been doing his getting close to the jumps thing ect. So as we started the lesson I warmed him up and then spent the last 5 minutes doing a tonne of walk to canter transitions. Just the normal walking, like nothing exciting going on and then suddenly telling him to fly off down the side of the arena, only to get him back to a walk again. Then everytime we got to the top of the ride as we were queued to jump I would keep nudging his sides but keep a firm contact to tell him not to move too far forward. As a result, he kept on his toes and the little guy flew over ever fence I pointed him at!! The instructor was so surprised it was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kick-on

ecaf wrote: »
    Another fun time was passing out the master of the hounds at the beginning of the hunt. (Not amused!) But I couldn't hold him back, which was strange for the laziest, most docile school horse. Major muscle pains after that.

i used to fancy myself as a bit of a jockey when i was younger and used to have the pony stuffed with oats and my stirrups as high as theyd go. Brought her hunting the week after doing xmas exams in school where the pony hadnt left the stable all week but was still pumped with food... She took off plunging at the start of the hunt with me standing straight up swinging on the bit wich she had between her teeth, passed the master and went straight out over a 5 bar gate... got a half hearted bollicking off the master and then he turns round to me and says " its nice too see a young fellow riding that short out hunting.... and youve a serious pony under you",, made my day!!!!

Advertisement