Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRAMORE AMBUSH 1921

Options
  • 28-10-2009 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm researching the ambush that took place near Tramore during the War of Independence in January 1921.

I'm aware of the basic facts and I've visted the area, but now I'm looking for the details.

Anywhere I should start looking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Thought first it was the guards you were talking about:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Books by Andy Taylor are usually the best place to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭recharge

The comeraghs, gunfire and civil war have a good account of the ambush and a list of partisapents from the IRA side. The book was wrote by sean and seile murphy.

What exactly you looking for??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Julian Walton has featured the Ambush a number of times on his On This Day slot on Wlrfm. Check their website for the podcasts or contact them directly.

www.wlrfm.com

Also the daughter of one of the survivors still lives in Tramore. She used to be the bar manager at the Ritz bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

I think Jack Hunt (think thats his name) who lived at the Metal bridge opposite the Garage was the last living person involved in the ambush, he was a very old man when he died so his family are still in Tramore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

On of my mother's uncles was one of the survivors of that ambush. I remember hearing that story as a kid. What details are you looking for? I may be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Grissom

Kilmac1995 wrote: »
    I'm researching the ambush that took place near Tramore during the War of Independence in January 1921.

I'm aware of the basic facts and I've visted the area, but now I'm looking for the details.

Anywhere I should start looking?

Check this:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~tramoregaa/history.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mahonvalley

Pickardstown ambush

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    The Pickardstown Ambush, an action in the Irish War of Independence, took place near the town of Tramore County Waterford on the night of 6th January 1921.
    The ambush was conceived by Paddy Paul, the leader of the IRA East Waterford Brigade, who gathered Volunteers from the local Dunhill and Waterford City units of his command, as well as the West Waterford flying column led by George Lennon. This made for a total of fifty men alhough several were armed only with shotguns.
    An attack was made on the RIC barracks in the town, and the British military garrison in Waterford City quickly dispatched forty troops in four Crossley tenders. However the ambush had been badly planned with the result that the British troops were able to make a determined counterattack, killing two IRA men and wounding two more. One British soldier and one Black and Tan were wounded.
    A memorial was later erected on the ambush site.
    In later years, local GAA fields were named after the two dead IRA men. [1][2]

URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Pickardstown_ambush&action=edit&section=1"]edit[/URL Sources

Rebel Heart: George Lennon: Flying Column Commander Mercier 2009, ISBN 1856356493
    British Voices: From the Irish War of Independence 1918-1921 Collins Press 2007 ISBN 1905172370

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mahonvalley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gramach

Waterford Remembers
    De Fuiteoil, Nioclas

Or in English Nicholas Whittle
    National Graves Association East Waterford, Waterford, 1945. Paperback. Pages, 70. Illustrated. Written in tribute to the East Waterford men who gave their lives in defence of the Irish Republic in the years 1916-1923. Published to mark the unveiling of the National Memorial at Ballinattin, Tramore, by the East Waterford branch of the National Graves Association. This book gives a brief story of their lives and times.
    This is the definitive and first hand history of this era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

There is a book about Waterford history that I bought in the book center in John Robts sq that has a very interesting bit about the ambush ... Jack Walsh may be the author!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Donal C.

Read Terence 0'Reilly's " Rebel Heart " there is a piece about the ambush in it as well as other information about the Waterford IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Is it true the two republicans were executed after the battle on the spot of the memorial ,

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waterford City Council Library Services

The Archivist at Waterford County Archives in Dungarvan should be able to help, I seem to remember they had a copy of a detailed eye-witness account at one point. Try http://www.waterfordcoco.ie/en/services/archives/ for contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DRUMorDIE

I based my Leaving Cert History project on the ambush. What I found good for research was going into the Library in Waterford City and go up to the 1st floor. This section has numerous historical books and hard to find information. The staff are very accomidating and you can photocopy the books for relevant information since they cant be rented

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nicholas whittle

My Grandfather Nicholas Whittle was shot 3 times in the Pickers Town ambush.
    He told a story that a black & tan put a gun to his head but thought he was dead so did not see the point in wasting a bullet!
    He crawelled up the hill looking for help, after being turned away from 2 houses (for fear of reprisal) he found a farmer who made contact with others who came and took him to a safe house and then to England to recover.
    Nicholas Whittle has a son and daughter who live in Tramore, a son who lives in Annstown and another who lives in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nicholas whittle

My Grandfather Nicholas Whittle was shot 3 times at The Pickerstown Ambush and survived.

Advertisement