Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl down - they won't fix it til next monday - any suggestions

Options
  • 28-10-2009 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Just got word from the mrs that Ntl is down and they need to send someone to fix it on site. But they can't do this til Monday.

I was looking forward to the match tonight and the weekend. And also the tele on halloween. So this is really annoying.

Do you reckon I should ring up and demand somebody to come and fix it sooner?

I honestly feel like cancelling my contract with them I'm so annoyed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Any neighbours have NTL? Is it down for them, or just you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

My advice from being there, go to sky. I found them a nightmare to deal with and consistently had trouble especially with the internet, no probs since haqving sky and bt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

As the_syco has said, you should check & see if your neighbours are down also - sometimes if you are the first person to report an issue they will say that an engineer has to call to the house, purely because an issue is unknown to them when you ring, but others ring after you so it 'becomes' an issue in your area & they send a team out fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You'd have a better chance of successfully demanding your hat to fix your ntl before Monday than you would of having ntl come out sooner. And that's if the technician even bothers to show up for your appointment! It's not uncommon for appointments to end up as no shows and you placed at the back of the queue again.

IMO, they're good for phone and broadband as apart from one major arse up, my phone and broadband has been fine but for TV, they're nothing short of a disaster. I had CONSTANT issues with their digital TV service - freezing, pixelation, picture blanking out, sound dropping out, channels unsubscribing themselves. Jumped ship to sky and haven't looked back. Wouldn't dream of going back to them for TV.

What's wrong with it btw? I take it is digital TV? Have you any other service from them which is affected? Any error messages on screen? Anyone on your road suffering problems too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sorry I couldn't reply yesterday I was out and about then got home and the TV was back on! heh

I had arranged to go to the pub to watch the match. But it saved me a few quid that it was back on.

NTL then rang me during the match to ask if it was back on and Arsenal scored when the guy was talking to me. He's probably deaf after the celebrations down the phone heh

So obviously the first diagnosis that it needed somebody out here to fix it was wrong. And I had a feeling it could be fixed from their end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I was an NTL customer until two years ago. I found out through experience that just ignoring whatever problem overnight would fix it, whereas calling them and making arrangements to be at home for engineer calls would not. Don't ask me why. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Given that you're experiencing a period without service they will probably agree to credit you a period of the service charge you normally pay. You might want to try this before doing something more drastic like switching to the costlier service available through Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I went Freeview never looked back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

Slice wrote: »
    You might want to try this before doing something more drastic like switching to the costlier service available through Sky.

Worked out cheaper for me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I was an NTL customer until two years ago. I found out through experience that just ignoring whatever problem overnight would fix it, whereas calling them and making arrangements to be at home for engineer calls would not. Don't ask me why. :)

Same here. The problem is alway my end according to them, but I change nothing and it gets fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Given that you're experiencing a period without service they will probably agree to credit you a period of the service charge you normally pay. You might want to try this before doing something more drastic like switching to the costlier service available through Sky.

Well personally I've had a total of 6 weeks without service in a year with NTL and they have refunded me not one red cent.

Well you kind of need to ask them for a refund in order to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Hootanany wrote: »
    I went Freeview never looked back

Freeview or Freesat? I didn't think you could receive Freeview in the Republic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Well personally I've had a total of 6 weeks without service in a year with NTL and they have refunded me not one red cent.
    they normally dont refund for lack of service. Its in their T&C. Yet another reason to get the better service provided by Sky. I wouldnt even call sky a competitor for NTL, they are on a different level tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

LOL I've never had opportunity to complain about NTL except for now. Just moved to a lovely new 3 bed house.

Took 2 days of calls to get them to change my account address, and they booked 3 seperate appointments for a guy to come out and setup broadband / TV in the new house.

It's no wonder they take so long to do call outs when they do the likes of the above and book in 3 seperate calls on 3 different days. From working in a planning enviroment before its stuff like this that has a MASSIVE knock on effect for service / scheduling etc.

In short I'm now a fully fledged member of the NTL are woeful at customer sevice fanclub :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Whatever you do, don't bother calling UPC/NTL to make a complaint. I did just that a few months back, and the CSR on the phone just hung up on me. It's partly because their staff get away with stuff like this that their customer services are abysmal.

I've been credited by NTL for service down time before, you just need to be insistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Well you kind of need to ask them for a refund in order to get it

Your smart ass answers dont serve you well.. actually you 'dont need to ask for a refund' according to NTL's own customer service team. My own BB crapped out a couple of times, and each time i was told that i would be automatically credited for the outage. Each time i was not, a fact which i subsequently noticed a couple of bills later, silly me for believing what an NTL Customer Service Drone tells me. So it might be an idea to ring em, but only their accounts department as Customer Service cant deal with such refunds. Wouldnt hold my breath though, will prob accidentally cut you off altogether. A feat which they managed on us before, i kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Max Power1 wrote: »
    they normally dont refund for lack of service. Its in their T&C. Yet another reason to get the better service provided by Sky. I wouldnt even call sky a competitor for NTL, they are on a different level tbh
    That is strange because my broadband was down for 24 hours (it was there fault) and I got refunded just over a euro on my next bill. They had someone out the next morning to fix it.

Am I the only one that has only ever had good service with NTL? I am only with them about 7/8 months.

Advertisement