Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Create Competitive Advantage - Include Chinese in Leaving Cert

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

In my experience it is the quality of schools and teachers that needs to be addressed. My experience of learning French was very poor, I agree. But I know people who went to different schools and private schools, obviously they had a good chance to pick up the language. Visiting the country is also important to get a chance to use it. Let's just say some of us are more equal than others.

But let's not mix the two issues together for the point of this thread although they are connected.

The simple fact is learning Chinese will give anybody a lot more career choices in the future as it has for me. It is the world's largest manufacturer after the US and may one day be the world's largest market. To give an example from the service industry, tourists from China are the number one growing tourist market worldwide. Most of them don't speak English.

It is ridiculous to see Latin, Greek and Arabic there but no Chinese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I agree with the OP that Chinese should be available for the Leaving Cert.

A good amount of this thread was side tracked with disagreements about the amount of trade/exports, or the number of language speakers, but there can't be any serious dispute that Chinese is an important language internationally. There are plenty of other changes I'd like made to the Leaving Cert syllabus, but let's keep the focus on Chinese Mandarin.

It's a fair point to make that the per capita GDP in China is very low, and that the spectacular growth won't continue forever. But by the same token, our country is broken, badly in debt, and we need exporting entrepreneurs to get things moving again. China has a growing middle class - hundreds of millions of people to whom we can sell things. And to understand them, to sell to them, it's going to be better to speak their language.

We are trying to position ourselves internationally as a place with highly skilled, nimble and multi-lingual graduates, to attract the kind of digital economy jobs that we hope will get us out of this mess. Again, this will need Irish people that speak all major international languages, and of course Mandarin is one of those, difficult as it is to learn.

In that context, I'm certain that Chinese should replace Hebrew on the Leaving Certificate syllabus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

guys let me just point out something. Irish is a mandatory subject for 12 years yet only a fraction of people learn it. Why do you think this is?

Of course, most people would say it's because it's taught wrong. It's because of bad teachers and even a few would probably blame the bankers. However, the fact is that whilst our education system is all about memorising not understanding, "no one" speaks Irish because no one wants to learn it.

Making Chinese mandatory will be the same. Kids will memorise off books of stuff, not understand a word of it and then spew it up at the leaving cert for points. Learning a language is like learning a musical instrument; you won't do it unless you really want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I'm not suggesting making Chinese mandatory. I'm suggesting making it AVAILABLE as an OPTION at Leaving Cert, where currently it's not an option.

There are a raft of problems with the education system in this country, but this discussion is not about them. It's not even about the solutions to those problems, simply a discussion on whether or not Mandarin Chinese would be a good addition to the menu of subjects that a Leaving Cert student can choose from.

Do you think it should be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

I would say include it as an option. This is an interesting thread for me because I live in Italy and I speak reasonable Italian which I hope to have complete fluency in within the next year or so. Now I am not really interested in staying here forever so therefore Italian has a limited use for me, so I have been considering what are my options for another language.

I was decent at German in school and reckon I could pick it up again quite quickly but tbh anytime I am in Germany, people speak near fluent English with me. So I must say that due to Chinas increased economic standing, I too have been thinking of looking at learning the language and in hindsight rather wish that the option had of been available in school. Though of course that is not to suggest I would have actually chosen it as I barely recognise 16yr old me and some of his clueless decisions past:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

RichardAnd wrote: »
    guys let me just point out something. Irish is a mandatory subject for 12 years yet only a fraction of people learn it. Why do you think this is?

Of course, most people would say it's because it's taught wrong. It's because of bad teachers and even a few would probably blame the bankers. .

Correct, it's always the bad tradesman who is blaming his tools.

Haha but tools would be the right word for some of the teachers I had in school, barely functional if they even turned up to class, that's the teacher, not the students! There are very poor teachers in the public system in Ireland and they never get rooted out, plus the teaching method is not great either.

You've got to give kids a chance to learn and see the language in action in that culture. So this is where the parents come in, they've got to support that whatever way they can. Education is a two way street. So you want kids to learn French, put them in a French summer camp..they will learn! Want to learn Chinese, go to China and travel around the hinterland or work there for a year or two and bring your kids with you. Send them to an after school program. Yes that's what it takes. The reality is nobody will really be fluent until they live, study and work in a country..but getting a head start sure is useful.

As for people speaking English in China, it is not as prevalent as Europe but it is getting there quickly with the tertiary educated, this is a global trend. However there is a VERY large internal market in China so there will always be people there who concentrate on that (internal market) and have poor or no English skills and many of the engineers etc. would have no English.

Learning Chinese is an option for the 21st century student, a tool to see into a different culture and a weapon to break into a successful career. Tool up your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

I thought Chinese markets were highly restricted for foreign goods and they steal designs and copy them all anyway?

The picture is a lot more complicated than that. They need quality stuff from wherever they can get it, in many cases they deliberately choose foreign made goods for key components due to higher quality guarantee. If they have purchasing power and it's for the consumer a foreign brand has more cache.
    China is an absolutely massive country..people need to realise how big it really is and how large the market is there for pretty much any good or service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Mandarin is not only useful for China alone. Its useful for Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore also. But the most commonly spoken dialect amongst the wealth creating sector in Chinese society is not Mandarin.

Its Cantonese.

I'd recommend that Mandarin is taught first. Mainly in written form, and at a young age. It is rock hard later on in life. I know fluent speakers of 4 dialects who are unable to write chinese.

China is the new wild west. Its where America was in 1920, a nascent superpower, about to forge ahead. How long that lasts is anyones guess. Japans ascent lasted 40 years between 1950 and 1990, and it has stagnated since. But its not got the same rule of law that the United States had.....so its a messy territory for now, and that won't change anytime soon.

China will face problems. But it is the overseas Chinese community who hold the keys to commercial power and influence. It is very hard to break into that group.

• Advertisement

I don't really agree with the overseas Chinese bit. They are actually seen as outsiders in China and rightly so. To get into the Chinese market fully you really need to know the right locals. Local Chinese are actually quite diverse in their views, they are quite humble and hard working in the main and are curious to know more about outside (the educated young people). There's also a big difference between different regions of China, their attitudes to business, life etc.

Also Taiwanese/Fujianese would be very useful in the business community, not just Cantonese. But really speaking Mandarin is more than enough and it is the language of business and communication overall

The overseas Chinese have to go through the same process of getting into the market there, they are ripped off just as much but they have more connections and faster entry due to language and history.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

maninasia wrote: »
    The picture is a lot more complicated than that. They need quality stuff from wherever they can get it, in many cases they deliberately choose foreign made goods for key components due to higher quality guarantee. If they have purchasing power and it's for the consumer a foreign brand has more cache.
    China is an absolutely massive country..people need to realise how big it really is and how large the market is there for pretty much any good or service.

But they re-engineer those key components and then dump their western supplier. Soon their goods will rival the west's in quality and certainly in price. For example, they're planning a move into the jet engine industry in the next few years.

Yes they are definitely going up in the value stream and the types of system they can build, with so many multionationals only too eager to site major parts of their production and transfer the technology as part of bidding contracts its made it faster for them.

But there's no way they can do everything well and there is still a preference for many things to come in from outside, better built, quality guarantee. Many industry niches are dominated by 2 or 3 companies, it is very hard to get past their lock on the market, their decades of expertise, especially in niche markets where experience, reputation and quality control count a huge amount. Basically it's easy to invest in a factory to churn out stuff if you think the market is very big and fairly open, if the market is fairly small and difficult to penetrate..not so easy.

An example of why Chinese would buy from outside is that they are willing buy more expensive German made machinery, they know it is rock solid and will last for decades, in the long-run it will save them money. Do I ever see the Chinese making better automated equipment than the Germans, frankly no. The Germans will always have a market in the medium to high end.

So Chinese companies will start to get more prominent, quality is improving quickly, but will not dominate all industries and they have a disadvantage due to cultural background little experience in designing 'whole' systems, huge lack of quality control and in good marketing and in making stuff that's built to last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Worse case scenario, if the whole improving our economic prospects thing didn't work out, it would come in handy when nipping in to get the auld sweet and sour chicken with crispy noodles, wouldn't it. And that alone would make it more usefull than teaching them bleedin IRISH.:D But I can see a few problem with getting Mrs O'Faoillon the languages teacher to adjust to the conversion-she'd be 90 before she was qualified to teach it. Most of my kids teachers struggle with Pythagoras, so I can see getting up to speed on the old mandarin raising a few eyebrows down here.

Advertisement