Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doolittles closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Bad news indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

thought they were doing very well as i seen their sandwiches in shops in dublin and even cork,
    i feel for the people that lost their jobs not nice on the run up to christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i think they couldnt adjust to the new economic reality, the owner is on the front cover of the donegal times complaining that she coudnt compete with imported sandwiches selling at below cost (funny how someones always selling below cost)
    they were too expensive in the end and couldnt match the competition. they were the o'briens of the pre made sandwich market.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

i think they couldnt adjust to the new economic reality, the owner is on the front cover of the donegal times complaining that she coudnt compete with imported sandwiches selling at below cost (funny how someones always selling below cost)
    they were too expensive in the end and couldnt match the competition. they were the o'briens of the pre made sandwich market.

yeah i think one of the problems was some of the concoctuins they were making and the huge variety of sandwiches that were avaialble were never scaled back to say the 5 most popular sellers.

feel sorry for the owners and employees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

I got one of their sandwichs from a shop in donegal town during the summer.

It was very nice but it cost €4 and was a little sparce on the filling. There are people selling sandwichs for €2.50 now in some places... the market can be harsh and especially so in a resession.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

I got a chicken cajun from Doolittles once. It was not very nice. I preffered the Dunnes Stores Brand to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Unfortunately their food margins were probably very good, but the staff costs and repayments on the relatively new food production factory means that the lower cost imported sandwich were/maybe in fact selling below Doolittles cost per sandwich.

I dont know the details of Doolittles, but a high minimum wage and property bubble bursting means that plenty of companies are going out of business through no fault of their own,

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Construction workers were their best customers ,surprised they lasted this long ,sorry to see them go though,I make all my lunches at home now to save money, if you go into a shop in Donegal now even for a cup of tea and a sarni its always a fiver, sorry cant afford that,dont see whats wrong here anyway was working in Derry last year got an egg and sausage sandwich and cup of tea 2 50 pound sterling and was drivethrough didnt have to get out of the van great simple idea!! and the attendant would bring you fags from the shop if you asked.

If I was making sandwichs at night in my own kitchen and supplying my local shop I would be glad to get €2.50 each ,would be a nice little earner.

Dolittles should diversify a little and set up a sandwich van outside the council offices in letterkenny and lifford and donegal town,(maybe beside a dole queue somewhere,and im really not being funny) thats where most people need a cup of tea now, walk along the queue with one of those big boxes you see at the american football games charge a euro for a sarni(1) and a euro for tea ,

Ask to get into the offices and take orders for the following day deliver to offices ,set up a text ordering service easy just text to number get menu by reply choose and collect next day ,set up a web site book your order online, a wee bit of effort here might work!! Waiting for customers to come to you these days isnt going to work ,that only works for ASDA. Supplying a few hungry sub concractors who were eagre to sell and owned their own vans might be the way to go, maybe save half the jobs

And what about schools !! Jebus a world of ideas !!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Anyone got a link to confirm this? Wonder how this will effect the Newstalk competition currently running at the minute? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

It was in the papers so its definitely true

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

irish1967 wrote: »
    It was in the papers so its definitely true

I believe its authenticity, just looking for a link to read furthermore about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

front page of donegal times

http://oceanfm.ie/news/2009/10/29/chamber-calls-for-action-following-further-business-closures/

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/1028/1224257558337.html

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalnews/34-jobs-go-at-Donegal.5769030.jp

hmm interesting bit

"According to documents filed at the Companies Office, Doolittles had total assets less current liabilities of €185,716. It owed creditors a sum of €586,000.

Its profit and loss account showed a loss of €383,000 as of December 31st, 2008, more than double the losses it was running a year earlier."

funny how a shop in the town that was stocking them is selling its own at a euro less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

just spent 5-6 hours doing a case study on Doolittles for my college assignment and newstalk competition.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement