Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Laptop to Internet

Options
  • 28-10-2009 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

How do you connect your laptop to the internet, when your in the library. I keep trying to connet to ulwireless, but it doesn't work... Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Gambra

I'm having problems with the internet in the library too: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055723236

But I can connect to the internet no problem it's the wired internet that's the problem for me. Wireless is pretty slow for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Did you read post 4 of the "UL Charter/Helpful links" sticky thread?:)

It's helpful. And it's got a link to the ITD info on connecting your machine to the fixed network.

sceptre wrote: »
    Did you read post 4 of the "UL Charter/Helpful links" sticky thread?:)

It's helpful. And it's got a link to the ITD info on connecting your machine to the fixed network.

FYI, none of those PDF's work anymore after they changed up the websites a few months back & the email info is wrong as we're all using the Outlook thing. And as for my problem I'm here 4 years and have never had a problem connecting, it's even the same laptop I've used for the last 2! Just doesn't seem to want to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Did you try the ITD helpdesk in the library? They were very helpful in getting my lappy up and running on the wireless network in the Library.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭KatyBob

Where is the helpdesk? I changed all the proxy settings and everything seems fine. Also its been working for the last two years so I don't know what else to do. Wireless connection isn't very stable for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's the desk next to one of the two entrances to the print area in the library on the ground floor. There's typically a member of staff sitting their during office hours so there's probably someone sitting there right now. They have assigned times for laptop support though (once or twice a week IIRC) so you may have to wait a few days for it.

With regard to the links to the PDFs not working in the sticky thread, sorry about that. If they haven't been working for months as you say it would have been cool if someone had mentioned that months ago. I'll go looking for updated links at some stage (unless someone else wants to be helpful) but in the meantime ITD still have their own section of the UL website here, where you'll find the same information, albeit having to click a few times to get it until the direct links from here are correct again.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭KatyBob

sceptre wrote: »
    It's the desk next to one of the two entrances to the print area in the library on the ground floor. There's typically a member of staff sitting their during office hours so there's probably someone sitting there right now. They have assigned times for laptop support though (once or twice a week IIRC) so you may have to wait a few days for it.

With regard to the links to the PDFs not working in the sticky thread, sorry about that. If they haven't been working for months as you say it would have been cool if someone had mentioned that months ago. I'll go looking for updated links at some stage (unless someone else wants to be helpful) but in the meantime ITD still have their own section of the UL website here, where you'll find the same information, albeit having to click a few times to get it until the direct links from here are correct again.

Yeah I called over to the clinic and apparently some of the connections just don't work anymore! They were very nice tho :P So I'm waiting for them to finish so I can take the connection that worked :D

KatyBob wrote: »
    Yeah I called over to the clinic and apparently some of the connections just don't work anymore! They were very nice tho :P So I'm waiting for them to finish so I can take the connection that worked :D

Did they say where the problem was located? I can't connect at all on the top floor via cable and the wireless is rubbish up there at the moment (I was lucky to hit 0.5mb/s today). I haven't checked any of the other floors as I tend to stick to the top floor, where the history/politics section is, so haven't tested it out myself.

Gambra wrote: »
    Did they say where the problem was located? I can't connect at all on the top floor via cable and the wireless is rubbish up there at the moment (I was lucky to hit 0.5mb/s today). I haven't checked any of the other floors as I tend to stick to the top floor, where the history/politics section is, so haven't tested it out myself.

I'm currently on the 1st floor beside the Biology book section and I'm having no problem at all with both wired and wireless internet. It must be just a problem on the top floor..

Advertisement