Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many non-irish in Galway?

Options
  • 28-10-2009 2:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Was listening to a report there on Rte Radio 1, the reporter stated in a piece on the Polish saturday school, that there 11,000 polish nationals in galway. Is this really true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When you title it non-Irish, do you only mean Polish? Since the 2006 census is before the crash I hazard there are much less Polish here now.
    Numbers (general non-Irish) below from 2007, also before the crash.

Wednesday, 18 July 2007 **
    New figures released by the Central Statistics Office have revealed that Galway city and county has the second-highest percentage of non-Irish nationals in Ireland, at 10.7 per cent.
    However the huge non-Irish population of Gort, where half the population are non-Irish nationals, has skewed the county Galway figures. Over 80 per cent (83.3%) of Gort's non-Irish population is Brazilian - almost 900 people.

According to John Moylan, Chairperson of Gort Chamber of Commerce, Gort's Brazilian population has integrated very well "from a cultural, working and business perspective", with many of them having settled in the town now running their own business and providing fresh employment opportunities.
    The population of Galway city, according to the figures, is 65,832, while the county has 143,245 inhabitants.

In the year before the census was taken, Galway city and county attracted 4,953 new residents from other areas in Ireland, with 1,252 of these coming from Dublin city or county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

its possible. i was in a doel office in the midlands yesterday. while i was waiting for my ticket to be called i counted 9 polish/eastern europeans people out of 14.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

My question is in relation to the all non-irish population

The journalist referred specifically to the polish numbers in galway and said 11,000 which I think is too high, wonder where she got the statistic from or is it sloppy journalism again?

how hard is it to count all the polish/foreigners in ireland. all they have to do is check the pps system. we never seem to get any solid facts regarding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If she meant 11 000 Polish nationals in the County then it works out pretty well:

2006 population of Galway county was 231 035 (wikipedia)

It's entirely possible that 11 000 of those were polish - that's under 5%. If 10% of Galway's population is made up of foreign nationals (as per previous post) that means half of the foreign nationals are polish, which in my experience seems pretty much on the money.

• Advertisement

mega man wrote: »
    how hard is it to count all the polish/foreigners in ireland. all they have to do is check the pps system. we never seem to get any solid facts regarding them.

Just because someone has a PPS number doesn't mean they currently reside in the country though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

PPS numbers issued by nationality are publicly available on www.welfare.ie That does not tell us how many of those people left the country or where in Ireland they are living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 AmazingMan

i thought the numbers of immigrants was in decline

snubbleste wrote: »
    PPS numbers issued by nationality are publicly available on www.welfare.ie That does not tell us how many of those people left the country or where in Ireland they are living.

yes but wont it tell you how many are employed or are on the doel?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Census06 showed around 10,000 people in Galway from Slavic countries. No link, just remember reading it when Krcma in Salthill opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

A piece on Rte news today clearly stated that there are 11000 polish people living in galway city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Entirely possible. I know LOADS of Polish families. Have many coming to my school, loads of neighbours too. That school is in Mervue Primary, have spoken to some of the teachers, very well run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Tuuk err jerbs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I have a family that may be Iberian next to me, a Polish couple directly across the road as well as one a couple doors down, a Nigerian family also across the road and next to them an Arab family with the rest Irish as far as I know (we have a friendly neighborhood without really knowing each other if that makes any sense). All the kids are friendly and they all play together without any prejudice, the way it should be and hopefully will be.

Personally I think it is brilliant, my own feeling is and always will be that irregardless of any presumptions of 'foreigners' taking jobs, the working man should never be thought of as anything other than that. A working man looking after his family, wherever he is from, is doing the best he can for his family. Can't fault that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

And I wonder if the 'non Irish' is used to include English/Scottish/Welsh? That would shift the number way more?

If so, wouldn't the figures be WAY higher? Ton of English settled in Galway, and have been here for yeears. Half the people outside Neachtains in fact...they're everywhere!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I have an Irish passport.

But I wasn't born here, didn't come here 'til I was 40, and have a foreign accent.

Am I Irish or non-Irish?

What about my friend Naimh (name changed to protect the innocent): she was born elsewhere in the EU but came here as a baby (one parent Irish, one not). Educated here. Lived here most of her life. Lovely Galway accent. But never got an Irish passport (why bother paying for two, when the one from the other EU country did the job?).

Simple .... nope!

Yep, not so simple. I assume they'd base it on Citizenship (birth cert or nationalised/passport), but they may base it on those with permanent resident status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Tuuk err jerbs!!

Day DUCK ERR DERBS!!!!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

snubbleste wrote: »
    It doesn't tell us how many are "living" in Ireland either. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

how many galwegians i.e born and bred are in galway. precious few I would say.
    galway seems to be quite open to foreigners. even dubliners are treated like normal people in the city of the tribes.

• Advertisement

Further to Just Mary - in a year I'll be eligible to apply for Irish citizenship on the basis of naturalization. I'm not Irish either - I don't even have Irish ancestry.

So it's really not simple.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    galway seems to be quite open to foreigners. even dubliners are treated like normal people in the city of the tribes.

how are people from the travelling community treated in galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 AmazingMan

galway isn't really irish though is it, i would describe it as faux-irish or irish-for-tourists or a little irish theme park for american tourists etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Day DUCK ERR DERBS!!!!!!:p
    COCK A DOODLE DO!!!
    Fuinseog wrote: »
    It's the economic migrants from Mayo who are the worst. If it weren't for the Pee Flynn Expressway, you could be forgiven for thinking that no one let them know the famine ended.

AmazingMan wrote: »
    galway isn't really irish though is it, i would describe it as faux-irish or irish-for-tourists or a little irish theme park for american tourists etc.

Would you like steak, or are are you vegetarian?

AmazingMan wrote: »

true it's not irish at all. sure didn't they used to have city walls to keep paddy and ilk out of the town. a british outpost on the edge of the world

how are people from the travelling community treated in galway?

like the negra, but there is no smoke without fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Xiney wrote: »
    Further to Just Mary - in a year I'll be eligible to apply for Irish citizenship on the basis of naturalization. I'm not Irish either - I don't even have Irish ancestry.

So it's really not simple.

same here - here 8 years (in my own right), married to an Irish man (on top of that), could easily apply for and get an Irish passport - but can't be arsed paying close to 1 k for it...I can safely say that Galway and Ireland are my home, I'm settled here, and am plannign to stay and raise a family. But technically, for the statistics, I'll still be a foreigner...

galah wrote: »
    same here - here 8 years (in my own right), married to an Irish man (on top of that), could easily apply for and get an Irish passport - but can't be arsed paying close to 1 k for it...I can safely say that Galway and Ireland are my home, I'm settled here, and am plannign to stay and raise a family. But technically, for the statistics, I'll still be a foreigner...

i wouldn't lose any sleep over it. sure st. patrick was a foreigner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

How the hell does Gort have so many people from brazil?And are they all legal?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement