Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many non-irish in Galway?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

How the hell does Gort have so many people from brazil?And are they all legal?

how the hell does America have so many Irish? and are they all legal?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

How the hell does Gort have so many people from brazil?And are they all legal?
    They were recruited to work in a meat plant which is no longer there. I believe the vast majority are bona fide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

Fuinseog wrote: »
    like the negra, but there is no smoke without fire.

Define Negra?????

Define Negra?????

negro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

negro

racist and ignorant.. your exactly why im going into town to voice my opinion 2morrow, galway needs to wake up.. these terms are racist
    negra, negro, coloured, and half caste are all slaves terms and i would love too see anyone of you say them in my ear shot to my daughters (who are mixed race/bi racial) because i would really tell you about yourselves.

to the op.. apologies for making this statement within your post but i will not stand for racists.

• Advertisement

racist and ignorant.. your exactly why im going into town to voice my opinion 2morrow, galway needs to wake up.. these terms are racist
    negra, negro, coloured, and half caste are all slaves terms and i would love too see anyone of you say them in my ear shot to my daughters (who are mixed race/bi racial) because i would really tell you about yourselves.

to the op.. apologies for making this statement within your post but i will not stand for racists.

thats a tad OTT don't you think? unless you have a pernament chip on your shoulder.
    negro is simply another word for black. what would you prefer to be called?
    in any case this doesn't concern our hypersensitive self. the question was 'how are the travellers treated and i said like the negra'.
    this was an inappropraite comparsion. galwegains are afraid of blacks, afraid that they wil be called racist. this is less the case with travellers. there is genuine discrimmination against travellers, while this is less the case with blacks who love nothing better than to play the case card, brilliantlt satirised by Ali G "is it because I is black?"

BTW whatmarch is on today?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

negro is simply another word for black.

Many of the people who it refers to don't see it that way. They see it as utterly and extremely offensive, and it could be dangerous to your health to use it in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Politeness would generally dictate that one refer to people as they refer to themselves, or rather, would prefer to be referred.

Politeness would generally dictate that one refer to people as they refer to themselves, or rather, would prefer to be referred.

if i accept this then i should use the term ******. don't they refer to themselves as such, ast least in their rap songs?
    how do they refer to themselves? they are not afro americans. they are not africans because they probably have a british/irish passport.
    so waht is the 'correct' PC term?

Anything that doesn't offend someone is a correct term to use.

It's common decency, not political correctness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

if i accept this then i should use the term ******. don't they refer to themselves as such, ast least in their rap songs?
    how do they refer to themselves? they are not afro americans. they are not africans because they probably have a british/irish passport.
    so waht is the 'correct' PC term?

Generalising about black people from rap music?! I suppose they are all gun-toting homophobic misogynists who talk endless ****e about bling and hos as well?

If someone holds an Irish or British passport then surely they are Irish or British? Therefore if you are talking about black people from of those nationalities wouldn't they simply be called black Irish or black British?

Nationality and racial origin/colour are entirely separate. People have been moving and mingling about the world for far too many centuries to pretend otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Everyone but Fuinseog in particular.
    This thread was on number of non-Irish in Galway and you've taken it way off-topic. Either back on track or this thread is doomed. I'm sure Pope is itching for his first ban.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Magnus wrote: »
    I'm sure Pope is itching for his first ban.
    Excommunication, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 AmazingMan

Magnus wrote: »
    Everyone but Fuinseog in particular.
    This thread was on number of non-Irish in Galway and you've taken it way off-topic. Either back on track or this thread is doomed. I'm sure Pope is itching for his first ban.

if he is banned for using the word "negra" then 'fraid to say but this place has gone well and truly bonkers

oh cripes, am i in trouble now for using a derogatory term that may offend those with some kind of mental illness

as far as I am concerned, intent is everything and fuinseog has absolutely no intention to make a racial slur and exhibits absolutely no signs of being a racist so perhaps it would be advisable to ease down on the pc mania guys - and yes i'm off topic, apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

JustMary wrote: »
    didn't come here 'til I was 40

You're that old? :eek: No wonder you're a cranky b1tch :pac:

I joke, I joke... yer lovely altogether! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I already know enough about myself tbh

If I ever meet you, i'm gonna say all of the above words and let you rant on and 'let me know about myself' - Unfortunately for you i'll be wearing 3M ear-plugs :pac:

Beep... Beep... Beep... beep... beep... beepbeepbeepbeepbeep...

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepp...

/moderation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement