Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

autocad 3d

Options
  • 28-10-2009 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I'm just about to finish a 2d autocad course with fas and i found it really interesting so I think this is could be something I would really like to sink my teeth into. I don't have much interest in the architechtural side of things but to be qualified enough to work for a 3d illustrations company or some kind of 3d modeling would great.

The only catch is that I never sat my leaving cert, but I'd have no problem goin back if I have to (maybe to do a few subjects if needed).
    I'd rather not but does anyone know what courses I should be looking for and what requirments I'd need for entry to these courses?

I'm thinking anything from two to four years....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I did a AutoCAD course in FAS in 1990. 2D, 3D and Autolisp. I failed my leaving cert previously as I have some kind of problem learning lanuages (failed english and irish) but years later went to college and got a degree in engineering. AutoCAD on its own wont be much help in getting a job, you need knowledge about the industry your working in. I was doing 3D work in AutoCAD in the early 90's and that was very rare back then. Now I work as a mechanical design engineer and use cad every day but AutoCAD isnt great for 3D modeling.
    CAD is nothing more than a tool similar to a hammer or a spanner. Knowing how to drive nail or open nuts wont get you much of a job! If your over 23 go straight into college and forget the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

maak410 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just about to finish a 2d autocad course with fas and i found it really interesting so I think this is could be something I would really like to sink my teeth into. I don't have much interest in the architechtural side of things but to be qualified enough to work for a 3d illustrations company or some kind of 3d modeling would great.

The only catch is that I never sat my leaving cert, but I'd have no problem goin back if I have to (maybe to do a few subjects if needed).
    I'd rather not but does anyone know what courses I should be looking for and what requirments I'd need for entry to these courses?

I'm thinking anything from two to four years....

If you want to get into 3d modeling, the best autodesk programme to use would be 3ds max (or maya, depends who you ask) you can get 30 day trials of them fairly easily and there are tutorials everywhere! There are other free 3d programmes that are available, can't remember them right now, but if you want I'll look them up?

If you want to get into really high detail 3d objects (that would be too detailed to be in games) zbrush or mudbox would be your best bet. If you are looking for this kind of stuff, there are a few courses out there...

Also, how old are you... because if you are over 21 you can get into PLC's as a mature student (23 for I.T's and elsewhere) also if the course you finished is a Fetac level 5/6 you can get into places with that too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 maak410

cheers lads,...gonna check out a few college courses as a mature student and see what's on offer..

Advertisement