Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centerfire Moderator

Options
  • 28-10-2009 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Lad`s got two letter`s from my local superintendent this morning granting me permission for the next 3years for moderators for my rifles.
    Am still waiting on the letters granting me my firearms licence though but they should be in the post soon.

I have a Tikka t3 lite in a .223 and just wondering what kind of moderators ye have on your .223. I want to try and keep the weight down and try not to affect the balance of the rifle to much.

Anyone with any suggestions, I hear the reflex models t4 & t8 are a little on the heavy side and are prone to rust so i might count them out but if you have have one and know better please let us know.

Regards RH 77

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Lad`s got two letter`s from my local superintendent this morning granting me permission for the next 3years for moderators for my rifles.
    Am still waiting on the letters granting me my firearms licence though but they should be in the post soon.

I have a Tikka t3 lite in a .223 and just wondering what kind of moderators ye have on your .223. I want to try and keep the weight down and try not to affect the blance of the rifle to much.

Anyone with any suggestions, I hear the reflex models t4 & t8 are a little on the heavy side and are prone to rust so i might count them out but if you have have one and know better please let us know.

Regards RH 77

I have a ASE NorthStar on my 223. In stainless steel @ €290. I got it in a 5/8" x .30 cal size so that I can use it on my 308 as well.
    It's a lot shorter than the T8 so the balance is better and it's a wee bit lighter. Give me a bell, PM first, if you want to see it.

That's good to hear you got your permissions for your moderators. I applied as well for the two mods I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I can't understand this. There seems to be lads getting letters for moderators from Supers and others getting them through the FCA1 form. It seems like a "make it up as you go along procedure"

I was in a gunshop yesterday and overheard that there is an unoffical blanket ban on mods in the Waterford area. Will have to wait to see if it's true or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Jonty wrote: »
    I can't understand this. There seems to be lads getting letters for moderators from Supers and others getting them through the FCA1 form. It seems like a "make it up as you go along procedure"
    There's a difference?

I thought the FCA1's went to the Super :eek:

rrpc wrote: »
    There's a difference?

I thought the FCA1's went to the Super :eek:

What I'm saying is that some lads seem to be applying via letter instead of FCA1's, and the super is issuing a written permission. I thought the new system was to standardise things???

OP congrats on permissions BTW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

What I'm saying is that some lads seem to be applying via letter instead of FCA1's, and the super is issuing a written permission. I thought the new system was to standardise things???
    As far as I can tell, nothing has changed. There's now a place on the form for applying for a moderator, but you still need to put in writing why you need one. (you have to do this with other stuff as well).

There was some speculation as to whether there would be something on the licence or an authorisation and we don't really know the answer to that yet.

I somehow doubt it looking at the licences issued so far, unless of course it's in the conditions on the back.

rrpc wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, nothing has changed. There's now a place on the form for applying for a moderator, but you still need to put in writing why you need one. (you have to do this with other stuff as well).

There was some speculation as to whether there would be something on the licence or an authorisation and we don't really know the answer to that yet.

I somehow doubt it looking at the licences issued so far, unless of course it's in the conditions on the back.

I think somebody here got it on their license, its just a small "s" in the corner or something??

Apologies for the thread hijack

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

I think somebody here got it on their license, its just a small "s" in the corner or something??

Apologies for the thread hijack

No bother Jonty.

I did id say what most lads did when I was sending in my application form i ticked the box for moderator and I attached a small note saying why i need it.

I know some of the lads have got there new licences already but I believe there is nothing printed on them saying if they were granted a mod or not.

clivej wrote: »
    I have a ASE NorthStar on my 223. In stainless steel @ €290. I got it in a 5/8" x .30 cal size so that I can use it on my 308 as well.
    It's a lot shorter than the T8 so the balance is better and it's a wee bit lighter. Give me a bell, PM first, if you want to see it.

That's good to hear you got your permissions for your moderators. I applied as well for the two mods I have.

Thanks clive will have a search on the net this evening and do a compare and contrast. Was in connolys in july and he had a few new ones in, one was on a new Sako it was nice and compact to cant think of the name of it might give them a ring the end of the week and see what they have and what prices they are.

I got a copy of 'What Gun' this week and it has a bit of a rundown on the popular mods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

clivej wrote: »
    I got a copy of 'What Gun' this week and it has a bit of a rundown on the popular mods.

sorry to change thread a bit .

clive have you any word of your 308

jwshooter wrote: »
    sorry to change thread a bit .

clive have you any word of your 308

And again not to hyjack the thread.

Yes JW I got the license first thing Tuesday morning @10.30 drove up to John Greene and I had the Sako 75 in my hands by 12.30.

I got the scope mounted, a Bushnell 3200 elite 4-12x40, and went to the Midlands range today to zero.
    I was on the V bull within 4 shots and had touching groups @100m, not all of them but close enough.

Very happy with it. All the gear was second hand the rifle, scope and mounts so it went very well, without any problems.

Found the Fusion 150gr shot very well and set the zero at 175m ish. 1 1/2" high @100m and 1 1/2" low @200m

Get your own thread ye shower of no good ....:D:D:D, now for hyjacking my own thread congrats clive on finally getting your .308 through. Any pics of your new set up ..

Anyway back to the moderator jw you might be able to forward on abit of info maybe im wrong but did you have a tikka at some point if so did you have a mod on it if so what was it.

Anyone seen or have used one of these on this side of the water.
    The review looks pretty good but they are abit on the expensive side.

http://gunmart.net/accessories_review/a-tec_moderators/

I found using the Northstar mod opened up the groups on the 308 so I wont be using it for hunting.

But I'll do some more range work before dismissing it to the 223

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Anyone seen or have used one of these on this side of the water.
    The review looks pretty good but they are abit on the expensive side.

http://gunmart.net/accessories_review/a-tec_moderators/

They are very good, the newer A-tec modular is much better than the older over barrel mod on that gunmart. (smaller lighter and adjustable)
    The modular can be used as a very small light unit by removing a few sections but being a bit louder then. The modular for a 308 with all sections is very tidy and only weighs 470 grams even as a all steel design.
    Soon Roedale will produce a mod on similar lines to a modular.

James Clark from Jaegersports in the UK is making a similar mod to the old A-tec just with better materials for around 175 sterling.

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ejg wrote: »
    They are very good, the newer A-tec modular is much better than the older over barrel mod on that gunmart. (smaller lighter and adjustable)
    The modular can be used as a very small light unit by removing a few sections but being a bit louder then. The modular for a 308 with all sections is very tidy and only weighs 470 grams even as a all steel design.
    Soon Roedale will produce a mod on similar lines to a modular.

James Clark from Jaegersports in the UK is making a similar mod to the old A-tec just with better materials for around 175 sterling.

edi

The Atec mods are nice but pricey, they are all aluminium no steel.
    I was looking at them in Norway recently and was impressed They come in three models for different cals/noise levels, they also had SAI brand mods and they were a lot more reasonable and had a lovely finish.
    Also completely strippable and rebuildable.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The Atec mods are nice but pricey, they are all aluminium no steel.
    I was looking at them in Norway recently and was impressed They come in three models for different cals/noise levels, they also had SAI brand mods and they were a lot more reasonable and had a lovely finish.
    Also completely strippable and rebuildable.

CJ
    The newer a-tec modular is all steel no aluminium at all and is lighter than the older aluminium a-tec which has the first two baffels in stainless the rest in alu. The aluminium baffels do wear away slowly and people have faulted that in the past. The newer steel model is the way to go. Smaller lighter more efficient.
    edi

I didn't see the steel mod, only these ones
    Maybe it is too new? I would be thinking about the SAI one though they seemed much better value and are completely rebuildable.
    The Scandinavians are far ahead of use here in terms of Mods they don't even consider them licensable!
    You can get them over the counter.

I didn't see the steel mod, only these ones
    Maybe it is too new? I would be thinking about the SAI one though they seemed much better value and are completely rebuildable.
    The Scandinavians are far ahead of use here in terms of Mods they don't even consider them licensable!
    You can get them over the counter.

The older aluminium over the barrel model doesn't seem to be on that website anymore. The newer one I was refering to is the CMM design just in steel and weighing 470 grams. I've not had the CMM aluminium version in my hands yet. 220grams would be a dream mod weight for a 308 stalking rifle almost three times lighter than a T8.
    Pity they make such a fuss about moderators, every car has one and cars have way higher ftlb energy than a little rifle bullet.:P
    In Germany they are completely against moderators but that will change.

edi

• Advertisement

Have a look at the SAI website, I think the Carbon Hunter looks to be the best system out, just change the internals for different cals, and length if you need to! One mod will do all CF rifles.
    I imagine it won't be cheap but quality never is.

Have a look at the SAI website, I think the Carbon Hunter looks to be the best system out, just change the internals for different cals, and length if you need to! One mod will do all CF rifles.
    I imagine it won't be cheap but quality never is.

A couple of good ideas in those mods, but I think the design is hampered because they want to avoid larger outside threads to clamp the insides together. Good point is the double wall setup which I think really helps reduce noise. Bad points. 50 diameter is way to big, not enough baffels, baffels seem to have a very thin wall section at the hot point (if made of alu).
    With a different design one could inrease the recoil reduction of the mod. I'm guessing this mod will not reduce recoil as much as it could.

edi

Advertisement