Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMEI zero - 0000-00000000-00

• 28-10-2009 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi,
    Can anyone out there help. Ok, the background to the issue, I bought the wife-to-be a new samsung sgh-j700v for Christmas last, got it from a vodafone shop so locked to vodafone. We've been having a lot of issues getting a vodafone reception at home so we decided last week to switch to meteor where we get perfect coverage, problem is that the phone is locked to vodafone.
    So, in my infinite wisdom and being a cheap skate i decided to try and unlock the phone myself using what ever resources i could find on the net. Found some very good sites and did as they suggested, only problem was i went one step to far after unlocking the phone that i entered a code that has now zeroed the imei number (000-000000-00-00) and therefore turning the phone into a brick as that is all it's good for at the moment. Does anyone know how to get my imei number back? I have tried using the software that came with the phone but this no longer recognises the phone without the imei number and have tried restoring factory settings but to no avail, any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Go to a shop and explain, if you have some proof of ownership I'm sure they'll help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Back to Samsung is the only way. Its illegal to change imei numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

can you not use the same code to change the number to something random of your choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Dankoozy wrote: »
    can you not use the same code to change the number to something random of your choice?

Dont think boards would want talk of changing IMEI's. The phone should have the original imei number on it. Having wrong imei numbers can lead to white and black listing problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Getting off the point slightly, fully realise changing imei's is an illegal activity, but it's not like i'm some master criminal and posting web comments from my cave. Made a stupid mistake and hoping someone can help. Also, why would the company install a code that allows you to zero the imei if it's so illegal...I'm not looking to change the imei, i'm looking to restore it to the original, still have the box but don't know how to undo what ever i did...

• Advertisement
Advertisement