Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 - Temporary Freeze problems

• 28-10-2009 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭

Hi,

I've recently completed a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate on my latpop. Its an Acer Aspire 5920g.

I've noticed that it "hangs" every so often and lasts about 1 minute before returning to full service. When I say hangs, I mean I can still minimise to desktop, see start menu, navigate to open tabs / create new tabs in Chrome, but every time I try to do something (e.g. Open any application i.e. Notepad, go to a new web address etc) it wont do anything until the PC returns to normal.

At first I only noticed this a few minutes after start up! I've recently got Internet connection and hence have been using my PC more and this is happening quite a lot but with no pattern to when it can happen.

Its a clean install of Windows 7 with Google Chrome and MS Security Essentials the only things installed at the moment. I've updated all my drivers, and main ones like graphics from the Nvidia site.

In EVent Viewer there seems to be a few ATAPI errors, event id 11. Would this have any cause for my issue?

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

dec2000 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've recently completed a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate on my latpop. Its an Acer Aspire 5920g.

I've noticed that it "hangs" every so often and lasts about 1 minute before returning to full service. When I say hangs, I mean I can still minimise to desktop, see start menu, navigate to open tabs / create new tabs in Chrome, but every time I try to do something (e.g. Open any application i.e. Notepad, go to a new web address etc) it wont do anything until the PC returns to normal.

At first I only noticed this a few minutes after start up! I've recently got Internet connection and hence have been using my PC more and this is happening quite a lot but with no pattern to when it can happen.

Its a clean install of Windows 7 with Google Chrome and MS Security Essentials the only things installed at the moment. I've updated all my drivers, and main ones like graphics from the Nvidia site.

In EVent Viewer there seems to be a few ATAPI errors, event id 11. Would this have any cause for my issue?

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?
    Make sure you install all the latest BIOS updates as well as Firmware for your HD and DVD Drive.

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I had similar thing and it was bluetooth dongle driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭SeanW

Are you using an MLC based Solid State Drive? Those can cause "stutter" not far off what you describe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

Hi Thanks for the replies.

I'm not using an MLC disk and I never had problems like this with Vista before the reinstall of 7

I've downloaded new BIOS and will ensure I have latest firmware for DVD to help try to eliminate teh ATAPI errors. I'll also look for any update on the Bluetooth driver...

I'll report back once all is updated and hopefully it will have improved the issue ...

I updated the BIOS and also installed Intel SATA driver and since i have not received any freezes or ATAPI errors. *Fingers crossed*

Thanks for the help guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Had this myself, thought I had all drivers up to date but was still getting freezes randomly and without warning. Ended up going through my entire device manager to see if anything was untoward and noticed my HDD driver hadn't updated to the latest for some reason. Saw in Event Viewer at the same time a rake of atapi errors and realised what was going on.

Since updating this driver everything seems to be running smoothly. Touch wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SRLL

This is a little embarrassing but my acer aspire 5920G has this sort of freeze that dec2000 spoke in regular periods. 70 seconds working fine and 50 seconds of total frozen OS. I read the replies and i have to say that i am little ignorant with the terminology. Could someone please post what should I do in steps.
    I need help badly. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Hey SRLL,

I updated the BIOS and actually the HDD driver. As soundman suggested this worked for him, you might get away with only updating the HDD, but you may as well do the BIOS while your at it?!

Log on to Acer.com and go to the Downlaod and Drivers section. i downloaded the vista drivers, as there was no 7 drivers at that time...to be honest from checking versions they seem to be the same. Then follow the instructions to install.

Here is the BIOS and HDD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im getting very small but incredibly annoying freezings. Fan speed seems erratic as in it will speed up for a moment then calm down, and for those 2-5 seconds Im completely locked up. I know its not a temp issue. And its not a BIOS issue as I have the latest firmware installed. This is doing my head in.

edit: That seems to have been more about leaving a firefox process running for a few hours. hmm. Restarting it seemed to have worked.

Advertisement