Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repairing body on a compact?

• 28-10-2009 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭

th_Canon_Ixus.jpg

I have an issue with this Canon Ixus 90 compact where the body is falling apart. There are a couple of screws missing but from moving these around I think the problem is beyond that, maybe to do with the casing getting a bit warped or something.

It has been dropped a few times I am sure so not really a warranty issue I don't think.

It is 100% fully functional apart from the body falling off front and back.

Is there anywhere that will effect a repair at a reasonable price? The camera is not exactly worth a fortune. Do Canon do it themselves?

Camera performance was very impressive for the size but not crazy on the durability to be honest.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Any repair is going to cost a susbstancial proportion of the replacement cost on a camera like this. They are almost disposable these days.

Keep using it until it dies then get a new one & try not to drop it. Very few cameras are designed to take that sort of punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I suspected as much. I may duct tape it.

Thing is, I previously had a number of the Pentax Optio S line. The Canon takes much better pictures but the Optios took a lot of abuse. I still have the original Optio S which I got on its release in 2003... it has been completely knocked about over the last six years and it still works!

I use these cameras mostly while cycling so getting a bit wet and dropped is part of their fate to be honest. One of the great things about the Canon is that it will generally auto focus quickly and correctly even when taking a picture from a moving bike, the more recent Optios in particular were not great in that regard.

Any suggestions for a replacement? Small is important which many ruggedised cameras fail on (see bike bit above.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Have a read of this thread as your requirements are probably quite similar.

Advertisement