Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VBA Excel recordset

Options
  • 28-10-2009 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

I have this problem that is driving me insane.
    I have the VBA code below in an Access application; it is selecting from a Book in an Excel Sheet ("pstrReference" is the path to the Excel file and it is definitley correct).
    It doesn't fail on the SQL inside the loop, it fails on the line "rsExcel.Open cmd2". The error message is:
    "The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object 'Reagents'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly."
    There is a book called 'Reagents' in that Excel file and as I've said the path is correct, it's not read-only or anything.
    Public Function Import_PLR_PL_COP_JD(pstrReference As String, i_NewRecs As Integer) As Boolean
           Dim rsExcel As New ADODB.Recordset
        Dim cnn2 As New ADODB.Connection
        Dim cmd2 As New ADODB.Command
        Dim dbs As Database
        Dim strSql As String
        On Error GoTo Err_Import_PLR_PL_COP_JD
        With cnn2
            .Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"
            .ConnectionString = "Data Source=" & pstrReference & ";Extended Properties=""Excel 8.0;HDR=Yes;Readonly=true"""
            .Open
        End With

Set dbs = CurrentDb()
        Set cmd2.ActiveConnection = cnn2
        cmd2.CommandType = adCmdText
      cmd2.CommandText = "SELECT [Parameter List ID],[Variant],[Reagent ID],[AccessedBy],[DateAccessed] FROM [Reagents] "

' Import Parameter Lists
         rsExcel.CursorType = adOpenStatic
        rsExcel.LockType = adLockOptimistic

rsExcel.Open cmd2
        While Not rsExcel.EOF

' Check if the Reference Type exists. If not add it.
            If DCount("[Parameter List Name]", "tParameterList", "([Parameter List Name] = '" & rsExcel.Fields("Parameter List ID") & "') AND ([Variant] = '" & rsExcel.Fields("Variant") & "')") = 0 Then
                ' Add the row to the Reference Type Table
                rsExcel.Fields("AccessedBy") = OSUser
                rsExcel.Fields("DateAccessed") = Date
                strSql = "INSERT INTO tParameterList ([Parameter List Name],[SiteParameterListName],[Variant],[GXP Data?],[Reagent],[Migrating Site],[Site],[CreatedBy],[CreatedOn],[Path]) "
                strSql = strSql & "VALUES(""" & rsExcel.Fields("Parameter List ID") & ""","
                strSql = strSql & """" & rsExcel.Fields("Parameter List Name") & ""","
                strSql = strSql & """" & rsExcel.Fields("Variant") & ""","
                strSql = strSql & """Y"","
                strSql = strSql & """" & rsExcel.Fields("Reagent ID") & ""","
                strSql = strSql & """LIB"","
                strSql = strSql & """LIB"","
                strSql = strSql & """" & OSUser & ""","
                strSql = strSql & """" & Date & ""","
                strSql = strSql & """" & pstrReference & """);"
                CurrentDb.Execute (strSql)
                i_NewRecs = i_NewRecs + 1
            End If
            rsExcel.MoveNext
        Wend
        rsExcel.Close

Import_PLR_PL_COP_JD = True

Exit_Import_PLR_PL_COP_JD:
        Set dbs = Nothing
        Set rsExcel = Nothing
    Exit Function

Err_Import_PLR_PL_COP_JD:
        MsgBox Err.Description
        Import_PLR_PL_COP_JD = False
        GoTo Exit_Import_PLR_PL_COP_JD

End Function

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Heh, the old "post it on boards and the problem solves itself straight after".
    Works every time. I changed the Excel filename to one without spaces and it is OK now. Weird because I have the exact same code elsewhere with Excel filenames with spaces and there is no problem.

Advertisement