Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rottweiler info

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I have my girl on GAIN and am having good results with it.
    I also add fresh meat or chicken and veg to it, she gets Mackerel once a week and fish oils daily.

picture.php?albumid=1172&pictureid=7958

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

i started him off on science plan, have been giving him boiled up ham still on the bone aswel, he loves it more than a fat kid loves cake:p the local shop does great deals on all meats so he's spoilt rotten. must start giving him some chicken too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

garkane wrote: »
    i started him off on science plan, have been giving him boiled up ham still on the bone aswel, he loves it more than a fat kid loves cake:p the local shop does great deals on all meats so he's spoilt rotten. must start giving him some chicken too.

Just be careful with ham as it can be quite salty for them. I would try and feed him raw chicken if you can. Also, i hope hes not getting the cooked bone is he? As cooked bones are very dangerous for dogs.

Rotties suffer with their tummies and its the first thing that my fella suffers from if hes unwell.
    I cant feed mine Hills as he breaks out in Hot Spots (wet excema) so just be on the look out for those as rotties are very prone to it and its usually diet that causes it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 dodgeram

I had my two rotties on clinivet. Didnt really agree with them nor me when i was picking up the poops. Fairly scuttery:(. changed to royal canon. Its dear but its good. Solid poos and easy to clean up. They are milling 15kg (large bag) every 2 weeks along with the odd chair or two. the bags are 65 euro. That may increase as they get older but the rotties are worth every cent:).

dodgeram wrote: »
    I had my two rotties on clinivet. Didnt really agree with them nor me when i was picking up the poops. Fairly scuttery:(. changed to royal canon. Its dear but its good. Solid poos and easy to clean up. They are milling 15kg (large bag) every 2 weeks along with the odd chair or two. the bags are 65 euro. That may increase as they get older but the rotties are worth every cent:).

It just goes to show you that every dog is different and what suits one wont suit another.
    I cant feed my rottie Hills as he breaks out in Hot spots and i have to be very careful what i feed him.
    I always say to people its trial and error with food. Ive had my fella on a good few different foods and Clinivet suits mine but as you say, it doesnt suit your ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 dodgeram

Your dead right Andreac. Same as humans. Some foods agree and some dont. Their stomachs must be sensitive. If we give them certain treats(cant even say that word or they hop of the press) sometimes it goes straight through them. More so with herself. Still getting to grips with choosing the right treats. They eat anything. if its not tied down they will try eat it. Worries me a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

Our rottie is on Royal Canin rottie food we mix it with Hills Joint Care food and so far so good - glossy coat and no upset stomachs - but considering some of the foods she has eaten she has a iron stomach until she has a raw hide then we have the runs :D

ok ladies and gentlemen i have another question :D

buddy for some reason has started to absolutely hate,now i mean HATE the trips in the car. he was fine not a bother for the 1st couple of months, then now for some reason he wont go near the car, he hasnt had a bad experience in it, nothing bad has happened him in the car he's just gone totally off the idea of being in the car any ideas on what can help??

p.s he's getting too big and heavy now to carry into it!! i have tried just sitting there beside the car playing with him and not trying to get into the car, but all he wants to do is get away from it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

What age is he do you mind me asking

Our rottie went through this phase and basically it was back to basics we went - brought outside on the lead walked passed the car a few times - called her when we got their attention treat given - then back in side then bit by bit it was increased to opening the car door but not going anywhere and when we called and got her attention she got a treat - then it was we sat in the car etc etc etc - now thankfully she is back to loving going out in the car and will happily wait by "HER" door to be let into the car :D

Something has obviously frightened him so you need to tread carefully here and not push him.
    I would maybe just bring some treats and each time you walk past the car give him a treat.
    Then maybe feed him beside the car. The see would he eat his food in the car but gradually build it up. Its strange that hes been fine until now as its usually that they are scared at the start then gradually become less fearful of it.

• Advertisement

thanks andrea and irish :)

irish he is now 5months, i only started the feeding him treats at the car yesterday and i did it again today before we went walking.

andrea honestly nothing happend it was like he had a bad dream or something:confused: one day fine next day complete opposite!!

i will keep at the treats and of course lots of patience and time, until then its only the local park for his walks, its such a pity he really loved his
    walks in the pheonix park and i wanted to bring him back there again.

thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Came across this and thought I would throw it up, its a bit "american" if you know what I mean. Might get some disapproval from other Rottie owners but sure it could be worth the discussion ;)

Hi all, jusgt thought I'd give an update on Buddy and the fear of the car. He has half gotten over his fear of it now, he will still slightly pull back away but once he realises he's going in the car but once I have the back door open he'l run up and jump in.. go figure?

Anyway this has made walking him much better as my local park has a river which is awfully dirty http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056248914

He still doesnt want to eat even a few nuts as a treat for getting into the car but he has realised I think that car = we are going to a new fun place :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

Having owned a rottweiler for 6 years I can tell you the good and bad traits
    good
    They are intelligent
    They're easy to train
    They a beautiful breed
    They are good company
    They are low maintenance

Bad
    They are stubborn
    They are the boss and it's very hard to become their boss
    They are stand offish and can be intimidating if in bad mood
    They eat a lot as they are a big dog
    They rarely obey a command

These are my own personal experiences with my Rottweiler who is male other than that I would recommend the breed as they are true characters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

purity wrote: »

They rarely obey a command

Definately not my experience, my girl would stand on her head for you if you asked, her mind is constantly at a 'what do you want me to do' state.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

purity wrote: »
    Having owned a rottweiler for 6 years I can tell you the good and bad traits
    They're easy to train but they rarely obey a command? :D

lrushe wrote: »
    Definately not my experience, my girl would stand on her head for you if you asked, her mind is constantly at a 'what do you want me to do' state.

I agree, my male is very eager to please and will do a lot for me, but, when hes off sniffing something his recall goes out the window, lol. As an entire male, his sniffs are waaaaay more important than coming back to me, ha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

agree with andreac & lrushe. our rottie will bend over backwards to do what you ask her, most of the time. There is moments like andreac said that if she has her head in a bush and a smell has got her attention she'll ignore us. or if she is tired after long walk she'll just lie there looking at you with no intention of doing whats asked of her unless a treat is produced, will do anything when food is involved :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

antomagoo wrote: »
    agree with andreac & lrushe. our rottie will bend over backwards to do what you ask her, most of the time. There is moments like andreac said that if she has her head in a bush and a smell has got her attention she'll ignore us. or if she is tired after long walk she'll just lie there looking at you with no intention of doing whats asked of her unless a treat is produced, will do anything when food is involved :rolleyes:

Well that seems to be the key with Rotties doesn't it !

Remind them who controls their food & treats & they do calculus for you :)

If they start getting bossy, just make a point of feeding yourself before them & when they're hopping from one leg to the other you take some time out to feed them. Just let them know who's the boss & they'll soon catch on.

Advertisement