Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Psychology: This Is Me?

Options
  • 28-10-2009 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I have been working in an engineering type industry for the past ten years.The thing is , none of it excites me and i dont really get any job satisfaction. I loose interest in most material things quite quickly.
    The most interestying things in my mind are people.Every single one is different.I am good at communicating and i can read body language better than anything.I want to find a career that would best suit my interests & i believe that i could help people through difficult times either , relationship breakdowns/ loosing a loved one/ depression/ major life decisions / etc.
    I think a degree in Psychology would be the right avenue.
    Can anyone offer good advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭imarugbyball

Fair play for considering the change dude, but as far as psychology in ucd goes......... it more teaches you how to do psychological research and have critical thinking skills than counceling etc. There are some modules on this (2-3/24) but its mostly reading research aricles and writing essays.

There are some courses in becoming a guidance councelor tho which might interest you.

Getting into clinical psych is very difficult and would probably take you around 8-10 years from when you start your undergrad to when you start working so be aware if that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

A degree in social work perhaps? Trinity offer a 4 year course from which you gain qualification, or you can do social science and then a masters in UCD. You would be able to interact with people and give the kind of support you suggested you might be interested in. My sister is working as a social worker and would be involved in a lot of that kind of thing.

That, or perhaps getting into guidance counseling in a school? You would deal with a good bit of that. Just a suggestion. You want to like kids though :(

Advertisement