Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

most obscure ground or match you,ve been to

• 28-10-2009 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭

thought this would be interesting, finding out the weirdest or randomist football grounds or matches people here have attended!!!

il get the ball rolling.

its not so much obscure as in watching pygmys play in africa but burton albion v histon town in the english blue square premier is problably mine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Does Ochill View Park, home of the mighty Stenhousemuir count ?
    I spent a few months in Stenhousemuir back in 1994 and I saw them play against Queen of the South and Meadowbank Thistle.
    COME ON THE WARRIORS....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Barnet v Watford, pre-season friendly, August 1992

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I prob go match, it be Darlington v Brentford.

been few poor ground in ireland like Rathbane etc but match wise that was the weirdest one just happened go threw there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Old Trafford.

Thought it was a theme park like Disneyworld I was going to.

Couldn't believe it was a football ground. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I used to regularly attend Kyoto (Purple) Sanga games circa 2005/2006, when they were in J-2. Cracking atmosphere it was, too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Standard would be too poor so the proposed question is anathema to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Went to a V-League match in Vietnam last year between The Cong and Danang. Interesting experience and good atmosphere but not great quality stuff. It did mean lots of goals though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The Showgrounds in middle of nowhere (Sligo?)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

For a professional team? Probably Gannon Park in Malahide for a cup match, been to a fair few amateur league games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Gamba v Fiorentina in Osaka Japan.

couldn't find my way home and nobody spoke English

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Sigma Olomouc vs SV Hamburg in Olomouc in the Czech Republic.

I do believe in the stadium Robbie Keane made his debut for Ireland;) fact fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Brentford v Shrewsbury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Seville v Real Betis in a poorly attended preseason friendly in the Olympic Stadium in Seville was a bit bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

england amateur b vs scotland amateur b i think it was, at glebe norths ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sunderlands Stadium of Light about 2 years ago for a 6pm Ko match between Sunderland reserves and St Pats. There were more players there than people :eek:

Its was minus 40, to this day i still call the **** who thought it would be a good idea to go a ****.

It was 1-1 and Quigley scored the greatest goal in the entire history of football but noone but me 2 others and about 7 stewards saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Galway United vs Limerick, friendly in Ballinalsoe

or

Mervue vs Galway United in the Connacht Senior Cup Final in Fahy's Field.

or

Galway United vs Sligo Rovers friendly in somewhere that I can't remember the name of. I think it's out the Tuam road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

FSV Frankfurt v Freiburg in the Commerzbank Arena last year. About 2000 people in a 60,000+ seater stadium. Terrible atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

2004, Spain v Scotland in an international friendly in Levante's ground Valencia. The floodlights failed after about 55mins then the most torrential rain Ive ever witnessed started to fall. The game was then abandoned at 1-1. Surreal experience all around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Hetman Zamosc in SE Poland, was at the ground, gave the game a miss, think they are in the Polish second division

http://www.hetman.zamosc.pl/nowa/index.php?str=stadion

Was also at the post Keegan sacking Hull Game last year, protests and all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

most obscure one, was an interfirms games in derry, was one of the players, british army helecopter circled the pitch for most of the game, must have been nothing exciting happening that day, was about 9 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Boundary Park, Oldham v Qpr. Has to be the coldest place on earth. After 5 minutes couldnt feel my feet. Ferdinand scored a bullet free kick to put us one nil up, then they scored 4:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Most obscure ground I've been to was in Port Vila, Vanuatu. It was the national stadium and the reason I went there on holiday is because I knew the country from being the worst team in FIFA 98 and was curious as to what it's like there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Played against Dagenham and Redbridge in Victoria road back in my footballing days. Decent stadium, nice place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

A Spanish 5th tier game 10 years ago between 2 utterly forgettable teams.

Also a friendly somewhere in Turkey, Burcaspor SK (sp) against a bunch of Sunday league footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Man Utd v Maccabi Haifa in Nicosia, Cyprus. Even though they couldn't play the game at their own home ground, the Israelis beat us by a couple of goals iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

irish-stew wrote: »
    most obscure one, was an interfirms games in derry, was one of the players, british army helecopter circled the pitch for most of the game, must have been nothing exciting happening that day, was about 9 years ago
    Very similar for me. I was with a mate at a firendly match between Portadown Supporters Club V Dundalk FC Supporters Club in Portadown.

Halfway through the game, we heard a couple of 'cracks' in the distance which sounded like shots. Suddenly, 2 helicopters rose from just outside the ground and headed off in to the distance. A few minutes later thay returned and hovered over the pitch for a while before touching down at their original position. Very surreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Inverness Caley Thistle Vs Greenock Morton...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Was at a Prague derby game involving Sparta & Bohemian Prague. Was a good enough game which also had a cracker scored from about 30 yards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Bucks head in telford. I go there quite a lot actually, they also host reserve games from some of the prem teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

A few years back I went to see Worksop Town v Marine in the old Unibond Division 1.

Running the show for Worksop Town was on Chris Waddle, a little older, a little wider but still oozing class with every touch.

his quickest move all day was moving away from the Marine box when Worksop were awarded a penalty :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

dreamers75 wrote: »
    It was 1-1 and Quigley scored the greatest goal in the entire history of football but noone but me 2 others and about 7 stewards saw it.

You serious? Describe it?! I'd be interested to hear what made it so impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

walsall v grimbsy town in the bescot statium and wolves v norwich in molineaux. also when i used play with fc villa (spin off football team from the supporters club) we played marston green in birmingham was on a pitch beside a cricket club house i think the score was 5 -1 to the brum team as the lads were out clubbing the night before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

probably Starks Park, Kirkcaldy; Hibs @ Raith Rovers in 99 on the way to promotion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I used to regularly attend Kyoto (Purple) Sanga games circa 2005/2006, when they were in J-2. Cracking atmosphere it was, too!
    Pal wrote: »
    Gamba v Fiorentina in Osaka Japan.

couldn't find my way home and nobody spoke English

Yeah.. Japan for me too. J2 league match:

Cerezo Osaka vs Tokushima Vortis.

Bought the Cerezo Osaka jersey. Has to be the coolest jersey i own! :)

566612613_5da4493491.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Went to a Millwall match in the Den last season, was an experiance to say the least...
    I was nervous until I heard some German accents a few rows back, for some reason that put me at ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

On hols one year in cyprus went to a pre season friendly Apollon Limassol v Swindon Town i am still trying to get that ninety minutes of my life back.As regards a game i planned to go to maybe Livingston at home to Hibs or Aberdeen at home to the mighty Hibs it was the coldest place i was ever in and the locals were going around in short sleeves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Been in a lot of the lower league grounds in England and went numerous times to Fortuna Duesseldorf but for me it has to be to see Cammel Lairds in the Unibond league last year. It made trips to GOrtakeegan and Rathbane seem like a trip to the Camp Nou! Highly enjoyable all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

AIK v Hammarby - the big Stockholm derby. A last-gasp 2-1 victory for Hammarby, we left early and missed the last goal because the fans started ripping out the seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Bloomfield Road in the early 90's when Blackpool played carlisle united in the old fourth division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Blue vs Red, Florence 2005

a_AZZURRI_ROSSI18.jpg.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement