Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 query

• 28-10-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I recently set up a monthly account with 02 in July. It was probably a bit of a rash decision as I was originally on a workphone and have left this job and needed a new phone account. I basically moved my number to the new monthly pay account. I'm very interested in a web browsing phone (or iPhone). I recently called o2 to ask if I could move my contract to an iPhone and set up a new monthly account from the iPhone options. Apparently I can't do this as I need to have an upgrade. I told them that my wife was interested in setting up with a monthly account as well and suggested that maybe I purchase the iphone in her name and then swap the numbers around. I hope this makes sense!!

The bottom line is that they say they can't do this due to ComReg regulations! I find this odd, considering it will be more profitable for them to allow me do this!

Does anyone have any more information on this?

If I can't do this, then can I purchase a web browsing phone not using O2 and then just put in my sim? I'm so confused as to what I can/can't do from their website as it keeps telling me I'm not entitled to an upgrade.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

chewed wrote: »

If I can't do this, then can I purchase a web browsing phone not using O2 and then just put in my sim? I'm so confused as to what I can/can't do from their website as it keeps telling me I'm not entitled to an upgrade.

yea that will work. probably cheaper too in the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Yeah, buy a 2nd hand iPhone, and pop in your sim. Better yet: buy a real phone ;):)

strecker wrote: »
    Better yet: buy a real phone ;):)

hehe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

chewed wrote: »
    I recently set up a monthly account with 02 in July. It was probably a bit of a rash decision as I was originally on a workphone and have left this job and needed a new phone account. I basically moved my number to the new monthly pay account. I'm very interested in a web browsing phone (or iPhone). I recently called o2 to ask if I could move my contract to an iPhone and set up a new monthly account from the iPhone options. Apparently I can't do this as I need to have an upgrade. I told them that my wife was interested in setting up with a monthly account as well and suggested that maybe I purchase the iphone in her name and then swap the numbers around. I hope this makes sense!!

The bottom line is that they say they can't do this due to ComReg regulations! I find this odd, considering it will be more profitable for them to allow me do this!

Does anyone have any more information on this?

Did you get a new phone when you joined? if so then you're not entitled to an upgrade as you would have gotten that phone at a cheaper rate, if you just got a sim only plan you can move back to prepay for 60 days then rejoin billpay as a "new" customer and go on the iphone tariff, problem solved

the iphone tarrif is a rip-off though.. I'm sure its internally known as the iGouge

• Advertisement
Advertisement